Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,245 times

Advertisements

I do agree with scarmig.... :-)

My husband takes our 3 yr old into the men's room and I don't think he would ever venture into the ladies room... no way... Personally, I don't see going into the ladies or men's room as a big deal, except men's rooms are often messier... but there is less of a wait at times too in the men's rooms.

Otherwise, he would use a family restroom if available and we always keep a travel potty in the car if need be.

I don't know at what age the girl can go into the ladies room by herself and don't want to make any judgement calls on that.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
I was kind of shocked the other day when I found out my husband takes our 5 yr old into the men's restroom when she has to use the toilet. I mean, it probably makes sense to him, and it wouldn't bother me except for the fact that I wouldn't ever want her to see a guy using a urinal...I mean I always thought he took her to the women's room. I guess I was wrong. Do you women think you would react if you saw a guy bringing his daughter into the women's bathroom?
Adult men go in the men's room. Adult women go to the ladies room. Any YOUNG children accompanying them go the restroom of the adult's gender.

Body parts are just that, body parts. Don't freak out over them.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,375 times
Should women take their young sons into the mens' room? Of course not. Why would a grown man go into the ladies' room with his daughter?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
I think the adult's gender trumps the kid's when choosing rest rooms. My husband would take my daughter to the men's room if I wasn't around and he had to take her. She is 4 and still needs help in a public toilet - she is too small to get on the toilet by herself or reach the sink.

He also has to take her into the men's locker room at the pool after her swimming lesson to change her out of her bathing suit. That is a little more troublesome because men are really naked there. He can take her into a stall to change her, but there is still a lot more nakedness around than there would be in a regular bathroom. They really ought to have a family changing room at the pool, but they don't. When we asked at the front desk where the appropriate place would be for my husband to change her, they acted like we were the first people to ever have this problem. We've had her in swim lessons at 3 other pools and they all had family changing rooms, so this pool is the odd one out anyway.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I am the adult. I go into the male restroom.
Up to about age 4 I would take my daughter in to the mens. She is now 5. If we are at an event where the toilets are busy, she will go into the ladies. The logic here is that in the unlikely event that there were a deviant male hiding in the ladies, that the women would provide a better defence for her than I could on my own. I would imagine any male concerned would get strung up by their testicals.

I might take her into the mens if we are some place where there appears to be no one around on the basis that if there was someone in the ladies, I would not know about it. No way am I going in there to check it out. Far too dangerous. Imagine if I met one of the women from this forum. I would be history.

Not me. I'd say, "Hey Aidxen, how are you? The wife and kids doing well? Great to see you!!".

Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think the adult's gender trumps the kid's when choosing rest rooms. My husband would take my daughter to the men's room if I wasn't around and he had to take her. She is 4 and still needs help in a public toilet - she is too small to get on the toilet by herself or reach the sink.

He also has to take her into the men's locker room at the pool after her swimming lesson to change her out of her bathing suit. That is a little more troublesome because men are really naked there. He can take her into a stall to change her, but there is still a lot more nakedness around than there would be in a regular bathroom. They really ought to have a family changing room at the pool, but they don't. When we asked at the front desk where the appropriate place would be for my husband to change her, they acted like we were the first people to ever have this problem. We've had her in swim lessons at 3 other pools and they all had family changing rooms, so this pool is the odd one out anyway.
This brings up an interesting point too because my husband takes our 3 year old swimming a lot and I hadn't thought about naked men in the locker room. And you actually have to go through the locker room to get to the pools... Is it common for men to be naked in the locker rooms? I wonder if my dd has seen more than I thought she has...

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
This brings up an interesting point too because my husband takes our 3 year old swimming a lot and I hadn't thought about naked men in the locker room. And you actually have to go through the locker room to get to the pools... Is it common for men to be naked in the locker rooms? I wonder if my dd has seen more than I thought she has...
Of course it is common. How else do you change in to a bathing suit?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
Of course, all of this takes on a whole new level when you're dealing with a (disabled) spouse. Which do you choose?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Surely, you must be joking. For one to think its more acceptable for a grown man to walk in the ladies room with a 5 year old daughter instead of the daughter going to the men's room is nuts. At age 5, I would send my daughter into the women's restroom and hang out by the door. Your child should be able to use the toilet and wash their hands by age 5. If my daughter was not able to reach the sink to wash her hands I would bring her to the men's room to wash them (don't worry, generally the urinals are on the other side of a divider by the sinks, lol).

Wow....

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Surely, you must be joking. For one to think its more acceptable for a grown man to walk in the ladies room with a 5 year old daughter instead of the daughter going to the men's room is nuts. At age 5, I would send my daughter into the women's restroom and hang out by the door. Your child should be able to use the toilet and wash their hands by age 5. If my daughter was not able to reach the sink to wash her hands I would bring her to the men's room to wash them (don't worry, generally the urinals are on the other side of a divider by the sinks, lol).

Wow....
I think the funny part of this is people think 5 is too old to go into the men's room with a daughter but its perfectly acceptable to 8 and 9 year old boys to come in with their moms and mentioned on another thread. I would think its more responsible of a dad to take a 5 year old into the mens room than if i saw a woman with an 8 year old in the ladies room. I would think...can't he hold it himself? Especially since boys tend to run around and go crazy in the bathroom. My mom had to go into the bathroom with my sister until she was about 6 since she was very small and the toilet flusher would go off and she would get scared. And yes, i have memories of being at the mall with my dad and going into the men's room when I was really little. Or if we didn;t have to go and he did (my dad has a prostate problem it was sometimes unavoidable) we would have to stand right by the door and wait for him. Usually at the mall we went to there where chairs and a drinking fountain outside the restrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.