Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Kohl's East Setauket Saturday June 26 @ approx 1:45 PM.

Overheard while browsing the dishes.
*Name changed

"Tommy*, come now."
"No."
"Come now if you want a train."
"No"
"Don't you want a train?"
Silence
"Come and we'll get a train"
"No"
"Let's get a train"
"Come to Mommy and you'll get a train."

Tommy runs up the aisle, trips over his feet , striking his head hard on the tile floor. Sickening THUNK!
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!"

Mom waddles over from my left.
Grandma trots over from my right.
Tommy was running from Mommy to Grandma.

"Mom! Couldn't you have controlled him better?"
"Did he hit his head?"
"Why didn't you watch him?"
Grandma stammers, "I tried to take his hand, he wouldn't listen."
"Yes, he hit his head."
Timmy continues bawling.
AFTER interrogating Grandma, Mommy finally leans over and scoops up Tommy, suggesting they get some ice.
Mommy spins on her heals leaving Grandma in the dust.

Mommy wants to leave, bribes Tommy to come to her, and then gets bent at Grandma for Tommy getting hurt? WTF?

Who wants to bet that Mommy lets Tommy do whatever he wants, as long as he doesn't bother Mommy?

I wonder if Tommy's Grandma used the same childrearing approach with Tommy's Mommy?
Abuse of Grandma! That's for sure. If I were Grandma, I'd never go out with that woman again and possibly refuse to "help" babysit the child until she got her kid under control. I'd bet Grandma was great at childrearing and the daughter decided that she was going to allow her kid to make his own choices, not like she could growing up.
Grownups need to act like grownups and be in charge, you don't let a young child be in charge of what they want to do. Wait until you see what kind of teenager they turn into!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 AM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
BUT THAT'S CHILD ABUSE! THE STORE SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE ON YOU!!!!!

Are you serious????????????

Old 07-03-2010, 10:12 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Are you serious????????????
only if you think I am

Old 07-03-2010, 10:28 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
BUT THAT'S CHILD ABUSE! THE STORE SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE ON YOU!!!!!

Had she pulled his pants and underwear down I could see that being child abuse(THAT should be done in private, but even then not to the point that it bares the childs genitals). She didnt strip the child and then belt him.(that DEFINITELY would be abuse no questions asked) The spanking got the point across and didnt have that issue anymore.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
[quote=7CatMom;14883835]Abuse of Grandma! That's for sure. If I were Grandma, I'd never go out with that woman again and possibly refuse to "help" babysit the child until she got her kid under control. I'd bet Grandma was great at childrearing and the daughter decided that she was going to allow her kid to make his own choices, not like she could growing up.
Grownups need to act like grownups and be in charge, you don't let a young child be in charge of what they want to do. Wait until you see what kind of teenager they turn into![/quote]

That's true, but there also needs to be some balance. The child does need to learn to make some decisions but that comes w/ age. Some parents are too lenient and want to be their childs friend, but others are more like drill sargeants rather than nuturing parents.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Had she pulled his pants and underwear down I could see that being child abuse(THAT should be done in private, but even then not to the point that it bares the childs genitals). She didnt strip the child and then belt him.(that DEFINITELY would be abuse no questions asked) The spanking got the point across and didnt have that issue anymore.
Thank you! I did not take him over my knee. I did not literally spank him. It was a few taps. I hardly bared his butt at all and there was no one in the aisle but the embarassment he suffered got the point across- "Act like a gentleman and don't push old Mom too far!" This was the furthest thing from child abuse there is! Geez!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seriously heh

OBH - I don't know if you chalk that up to more of a statement on the area and the types of families that shop in Kohls up there or if they're modern day WT.... been to that Kohls many times. Either way I think that paints a pretty accurate picture of the types of families you see all over LI.
Sad state of affairs, right? They didn't appear WT; Mommy appeared to be less interested in child rearing and more interested in shopping. As long as Tommy's grandma was there to see to Tommy, Mommy was totally disinterested. Grandma is going to have to stop enabling her daughter by taking Tommy. Mommy is going to have to learn how to shop with a child in tow, and how to teach the child proper behavior and response in public.

If she's bribing a 4 year old with a train now, what will it be in a few years?
iPod? PlayStation Future edition?

Where was super nanny to train this mother?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Abuse of Grandma! That's for sure. If I were Grandma, I'd never go out with that woman again and possibly refuse to "help" babysit the child until she got her kid under control. I'd bet Grandma was great at childrearing and the daughter decided that she was going to allow her kid to make his own choices, not like she could growing up.
Grownups need to act like grownups and be in charge, you don't let a young child be in charge of what they want to do. Wait until you see what kind of teenager they turn into!
I just wrote a reply to Mikeykid which touches on what you've written.

Grandma was visibly nervous and shaken and the daughter appeared to have completely overwhelmed and intimidated her. She chewed out her mother like she was chewing out an employee.

Never in a million years would I dream of talking to my own mother like that during a moment of duress.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
I'd say she was damn lucky to even have her mother nearby to help her out! Ungrateful daughter.

A couple of my friends have been lured into babsitting their daughter's children - taking them to school, picking them up at the bus stop, driving to soccer etc. At first they are more than willing to help out, after all, it's their grandchildren. But after awhile of being taken advantage of, they realize it's not easy work anymore and they'd like their own lives back. But their kids have to work and you know....

I always tell them that it would be a good idea for the grandchildren to start getting used to a real babysitter, one who's like 16 instead of 60! It would give everyone a break. And Grandma wouldn't feel so abused.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:34 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I was sarcastic...

I am all for physical training on children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting