Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And what does that teach them?

You get spanked and then it is over with...

If spanking had been my mom's punishment into my teens then I would have cared about getting in trouble. I have a high tolerance to pain.
I could do as I pleased, get spanked and be on my merry way.
Exactly I would have careless as well. At some point, that fear is gone and once it's not there comes laughter.

Had my father proceeded on spanking me during my teens years, I can tell you either the cops would be on the door right away or I would have lost more respect for him.
No apologies would be coming from my mouth. Lastly, if that's use on a teen, then they're not the well being, productive children you raised.... basically you suck.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Quote:
And what does that teach them?

You get spanked and then it is over with...

If spanking had been my mom's punishment into my teens then I would have cared about getting in trouble. I have a high tolerance to pain.
I could do as I pleased, get spanked and be on my merry way.
Hell, if cops spanked when they pulled people over....guess who would be speeding.. lol

However, if I thought, "if I do this or this, this or that will get taken away", I was much more less likely to do whatever it was I wasn't allowed to do.

Even now, If my mom started spanking me when I broke the house rules or whatever. I wouldn't care and would go about my day.
Several people have commented on my posting about how corporal punishment is quick, over and done with etc. The implication is that the paddling or spanking is just a quick tap on the back side and has no effect. "If my mom started spanking me when I broke the house rules or whatever. I wouldn't care" and similar.

The point I was making was that spanking is quick and when it is over it is over. But it is not trivial. It is painful and if your position is that you would just take it and get on with your day well then the paddling was nowhere near hard enough. I am sure that the anti spankers would not care about spanking if it were so ineffective. The one thing I think the anti spankers and the spankers in general would agree on is that spanking affects the receipient. The anti spankers of course say that it affects them in a bad way while the pro spankers would contend that it does good.
Quote:

But if she stopped paying for my cell phone or shut it off or somehow managed to take any of my possessions out of my possession as a punishment I would be changing my tune a bit....
And those are all quite reasonable options that a parent can do. Mind you the message I get here is a reminder that parents need to be in control and to be consistent.
Quote:
I feel sorry for your kids, especially the teenagers, imagine if their friends found out, they would be mocked at school relentlessly..
My experience is that this is not the case. It seems that their friends are more accomodating and supportive. Other kids outside their circle of friends who don't understand parental control will make comment or try to tease but this has not been an ongoing problem. In any case that is something that they just learn to ignore.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
Like I asked what age do you feel it is acceptable for you to spank your kids?

Surely you wouldn't spank your kids when they were 18 or older would you?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 PM

67 posts, read 107,776 times
Aidxen, I've read through your posts and you sound like a great parent with happy kids. Kudos to you.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
Sure he/she is a great parents who has great kids....but with one huge flaw....he/she is still spanking a teenager...that is just appauling...

Do you use grounding at all as well as the spanking or is it just simply a spanking?

And Aidxen, you said if they don't care that its not being done hard enough, well I don't care how hard I am hit...pain can easily go away and I can take a few advil etc...

Old 05-31-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Sure he/she is a great parents who has great kids....but with one huge flaw....he/she is still spanking a teenager...that is just appauling...
If the spanking works, why wouldn't he use it?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproodle View Post
If the spanking works, why wouldn't he use it?
Obviously it's not working if he still has to spank a teenager. It means the child (heading towards adulthood) has learned nothing while growing up and there's something wrong... probably a case of attention deficit disorder, extreme rebellion, etc...
Now that's alarming.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Obviously it's not working if he still has to spank a teenager. It means the child (heading towards adulthood) has learned nothing while growing up and there's something wrong... probably a case of attention deficit disorder, extreme rebellion, etc...
Now that's alarming.
That's silly. I could say that for any discipline. "If grounding your child actually worked..you'd never have to ground them again".

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Now that's alarming.
This is an interesting question to consider.
Quote:
That's silly. I could say that for any discipline. "If grounding your child actually worked..you'd never have to ground them again".
That is a good point.

I don't think any one application of discipline or punishment does anything.

I think consistency is a key part of it.

I think always punishing when rules are broken is important so that every time a kid does wrong they know it. But if course the punishment needs to not too harsh(yes I know we will disagree on what is harsh)

Although I am happy to have a warning but if the kids take advantage of the warning then they are just learning to take control. We got caught out a while back when the kids were little. We started counting. You know you count 'one pause two pause thrrrrreee' and as you are half way through thrrrrreee the kid complies. Now it is first time compliance. We say they do. The only time there is any doubt is if there is doubt whether they heard the instruction.

I think that is the problem with schools and our legal system today. Kids get warning after warning after warning and they learn that it is just words. There is no drawing of the line. They learn that adults are frustrated, concerned - yes but not strong enough to say bring the kids to account. So the kids develop this selfish anti social attitude and eventually some go over the top and then the cosequences are dire. Like a parent who flips and looses their temper and beats up a kid or worse, the school system expells kids or legal system puts them in jail. And what use is that. Nothing. You don't learn social skills. You are away from your support network (in the case of a school anyway) of people who care (teachers). In our legal system, to me the punishment is often far to harsh and so people spend and have to spend a huge effort defending them selves. For some reason we think that sticking someone in jail for years at a time is OK yet giving them the cane ala Singapore is a 'cruel and unusual punishment'. To me locking someone up is about as cruel as you can get.

Any way I ramble. Back on topic
So by ensuring that we are consistent then the kids learn.

Quote:
Like I asked what age do you feel it is acceptable for you to spank your kids?

Surely you wouldn't spank your kids when they were 18 or older would you?
Absolutely I would.
Is there an upper age?
No but that is a whole other debate and an example of why I think this is here
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog6...ment-jail.html

Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,868,899 times
Am I the only one who thinks that it's inappropriate for a grown man to hit a teen girl? I think all spanking is wrong, but it's particularly creepy and bordering on perverted when a grown man touches his teen anywhere below the waist. Stop yourself and just take away her cell phone or tv time for crying out loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting