Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM

108 posts, read 386,221 times

Advertisements

My mother has pretty much nothing to do with my children other than the holidays, but she is constantly involved in my two sisters kids lives. The only difference is I'm no longer married to the mother. I kind of feel this may be a part of it, but how can I get her more involved in my children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Out of curiosity do you have custody?

My brother went through a similar issue from the opposite perspective. He had sole custody, but was desperately trying to keep his exwifes parents involved in his sons life for his sake. It was very difficult and they really ended up being reduced to grandparents in name only.

If you don't have custody and just visitation, she may feel that she has no right to try and be involved in their lives beyond the time that you have with them. If it is more of an open situation, than it may just be that she isn't comfortable around your ex.

I would have a frank discussion with her about it. I wouldn't mention the sisters kids and how involved she is, but more or less focus on how much your kids miss her and you would like her to be a larger part of their life. At the very least you may discover her reasons for being distant and can work to resolve them.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM

108 posts, read 386,221 times
You hit the nail on the head
I don't have custody, I live about 1000 miles away (long, long story)
but I would like her to be there for them when I can't
I know she doesn't feel comfortable around my ex, but it's not like she would be spending time with her. My ex even agreed that she would let them stay for a weekend or two if she would just take them in.
I guess I just need to talk with her about it.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
It sounds like a tough situation and I don't envy you. Talk with your mom and see what she can work out. Additionally even though you live a long way away, I can assume based on your comments that you still have parental rights. I have heard of similar cases where grandparents were granted legal visitation rights, maybe that is an avenue to explore.

I honestly think your mom just feels like she is powerless in the situation and doesn't know what to do. If you and your ex are the least bit amicable she may appreciate having another trusted source for babysitting.

Good luck.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
Clear the air with your mom. She probably doesn't want to step on toes. Sometimes people hang back because they don't want to cause any problems. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Give your mom a call and talk with her about it. Chances are she is just staying out of the picture in order not to cause any additional confusion. It probably bothers her not seeing your kids. Then call your ex. If everyone can agree on a good visitation schedule, the kids will be better off with another strong family relationship in their lives.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
I don`t know all of your situation but could be that she is playing favorites? This is pretty common and if it`s the case, there is not much you can do. You not having the mother around doesn`t have anything to do with her being a grandma to your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting