Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times

Advertisements

ADVentive, seeing the chart on paid leave is very interesting. However, the US has not adopted a universal-type health care system, and it is likely that unless such a system is put into place that paid leave will become a reality. Probably the most telling piece of information is the ZERO for the US.

My own daughter just delivered a child (in April) and managed all the leave in ways similar to your own--storing up vacation time, taking unpaid leave, etc. and that leave is over in 2 weeks time. We discussed it today, and frankly, as much as I have sympathy and empathy for mother child separation in these early weeks and months, women certainly know when they get pregnant that these issues will arise. Having a baby is a choice for most women (or at least that is my hope).

And you are to be commended for petitioning for a lactation room at your workplace. Lactation rooms should be made available and breast feeding encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 08:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
ADVentive, seeing the chart on paid leave is very interesting. However, the US has not adopted a universal-type health care system, and it is likely that unless such a system is put into place that paid leave will become a reality. Probably the most telling piece of information is the ZERO for the US.
I don't see why universal health care would be required. Do all of the rest of the countries on that list have universal health care? I mean, we provide social security disability insurance through the government. Why couldn't it work similarly to that program?

Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
As much as I feel like having my kids was a big financial strain, I still don't think the government should foot the bill. I feel the government is footing way too many bills right now. People are getting handouts that are unnecessary. I know so many people who get fule assistance, rent assistance, food assistance, and only work part-time to support their family. When they have another child, all these handouts get increased. The working person has to provide for that extra child. They should have to prove they are working a minimum of 40 hours a week to qualify for anything. They spend more time looking for a handout than trying to find a job with more hours and higher pay.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:31 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
I don't believe I have the answers. I do think that some countries, certainly not all, encourage new births and pay mothers for each pregnancy (Germany, the Netherlands). But our population is not decreasing overall the way these two countries are but rather are increasing. The last statistics I saw for NYS showed over 250,000 pregnancies per/annum. Providing support like this doesn't seem appropriate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I don't see why universal health care would be required. Do all of the rest of the countries on that list have universal health care? I mean, we provide social security disability insurance through the government. Why couldn't it work similarly to that program?

Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,842 times
Uh-oh...I think it would be tough, as a woman who has had 2 children, one 6 week and one eight week leave, completely unpaid (and that's why I went back so quick).

The bitter side of me says, well, why do people who don't work get money per baby, and I do work...and get nothing?!? Great! I get to go back to work to pay for THEIR babies...

But that's a whole 'nother thread!!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:12 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Uh-oh...I think it would be tough, as a woman who has had 2 children, one 6 week and one eight week leave, completely unpaid (and that's why I went back so quick).

The bitter side of me says, well, why do people who don't work get money per baby, and I do work...and get nothing?!? Great! I get to go back to work to pay for THEIR babies...

But that's a whole 'nother thread!!
Believe me, I absolutely agree!
But we all know at least one of those people or families who sponge off the system. Then you see their teenage daughter get pregnant at 16 and the whole cycle starts all over again. Mom knows everything, every little thing, that they are entitled to. Those of who do work set an example for not only our own children, but hopefully the adults that we come in contact with, to strive to be on their own, not looking for the handout.
Someone, somewhere, has to break this cycle! It seems unfair, and it is, we go back to work to pay for THEIR babies, but we are certainly better off in the long run. Be proud of yourself for providing for your family, whatever it takes, and setting a good example for your kids.
My 19 yr old daughter doesn't have a boyfriend, and is no where near marraige, but I can be sure of one thing...when she finds someone, he is not going to be lazy. I can bet my last dollar on that.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM

45 posts, read 209,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
There are certain programs that many companies offer where you can stay at home with your newborn for almost 6 months. I stayed at home for 22 weeks with my child. My company offered short term disability starting from the day the child is born (I got paid 100% of my salary) for 6 weeks. Then I took another 6 weeks off which was under the Paid Parental Leave (again, paid at 100% of salary). The Paid Parental Leave runs concurrently with the Family Medical Leave Act which I believe is for 12 weeks but my company offers it for 16 weeks (this is without pay but you can use your sick time/personal days or vacation time). I chose to take it without pay (the last 10 weeks). So to sum it up:

6 weeks short term disability (paid)
6 weeks paid parental leave (paid) which runs concurrently with the Family Medical Leave Act
10 weeks of the remaining Family Medical Leave Act (unpaid) but can use your own personal vacation, personal, sick time)

To be honest, I think that was pretty good and I was so happy to be at home for that long with my baby. I went back to work when she was 5 and half months old.

I GAVE BIRTH IN JANUARY 2007 MY COMPANY WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO CARRY OVER MORE THAN TWO WEEKS. I HAD TO USE UP ALL MY EXTRA TIME
THEY SAID I COULD CASH OUT BUT WOULD ONLY PAY ME FOR HALF.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzeka View Post
I GAVE BIRTH IN JANUARY 2007 MY COMPANY WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO CARRY OVER MORE THAN TWO WEEKS. I HAD TO USE UP ALL MY EXTRA TIME
THEY SAID I COULD CASH OUT BUT WOULD ONLY PAY ME FOR HALF.
You should have researched your company's policy prior to having your baby so you could have either saved more money to take unpaid leave or gotten a job in a company that has a better policy. I'm sorry for you situation but that doesn't mean I want to pay (with my taxes) for your maternity leave, no one paid for mine and I did just fine.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 AM

279 posts, read 1,347,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
You should have researched your company's policy prior to having your baby so you could have either saved more money to take unpaid leave or gotten a job in a company that has a better policy. I'm sorry for you situation but that doesn't mean I want to pay (with my taxes) for your maternity leave, no one paid for mine and I did just fine.
Exactly. We have a responsibility to do our own research properly and take action accordingly. I made sure that wherever I worked had a good maternity policy and was a good place for working mothers. If a particular company does not offer such programs, then we must do what we have to do (as Irishmom stated) and save more money so that you can stay at home with your child for an extended amount of time.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 AM

67 posts, read 352,996 times
If you’re family makes less than 60k, especially after showing your disability pay stubs, you can apply to government programs. But I think govt maternity leave is quiet not fair.

Other countries have better policies, it’s their law, and the companies have to pay. Germany gives maternity and paternity leave. After the wife goes back to work, the husband can stay home for a year as well. Lucky people!

Yeah, every company is different. Mines give us 100 percent salary for 6 weeks. And only 75 percent of the salary for the next 6 weeks. I might have to look for another company when I plan to have a baby. I see a lot of companies give 6 months with pay and offer subsidized day care. My company only offers day care for emergency reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting