U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 PM

34,551 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but why should a business pay for someone to NOT work? If the government should pay you to not work, should it also pay your mortgage, and your grocery bills? Where will these ideas end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, but why should a business pay for someone to NOT work? If the government should pay you to not work, should it also pay your mortgage, and your grocery bills? Where will these ideas end?
Does your business offer sick leave, or vacation leave? Why should maternity/ paternity leave be classified so differently? Does your company offer health insurance, or contribute to your 401K? Oh, heavens, where will it end? Companies offering competitive benefits to their employees!

As far as the government, if you become disabled, does the government pay you social security/disability? Gee, are they paying you to not work? Why couldn't maternity leave work the same way? (Especially considering that it does in so many countries)

Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,806,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzeka View Post
I Have A 5month Year Old And Recently Returned To Work After 3 Months. That Was All The Company Allowed I Got 60% Of My Pay For
5 Wks. I Am A Nursing Mom And Would Of Love To Stay Home With My Baby For At Least 6 Months. What Does Any One Think Should The Government Extend Matenity Leave With Pay And Who Should Pay For It?
I don't know what kind of job you have, but is there any way that your employer would let you work out of your home part time?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
Exclamation Is this a political question or a request for ideas?

This thread had died out in June and has resurrected itself - after reading it, the gist of it seems to be that some are advocating government-sponsored extended leave after having a baby and some are not, and discussion of social welfare programs.

If we in the Parenting forum want to discuss ideas on creative ways to extend leave following childbirth, such as working from home, storing up leave, what to look for in a maternity leave policy, that's fine....but if we're going to debate whether or not such the government should fund maternity leave, we'll move the thread and take it over to Politics and Controversies.

From the wording of the OP, this appears to have been a topic introduced to discuss a government sponsored leave after birth and therefore may have been best introduced into Politics and Controversies to begin with.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
Are we supposed to post anything that might be debatable in Politics? Even if it is a Parenting topic? I don't see why it's a problem to debate parenting topics in the Parenting forum. Though this topic is somewhat controversial, I don't see why it is really any different from any other controversial parenting topic that branches out from personal decision to public policy, which could include anything from breastfeeding to corporal punishment to gun ownership around kids to circumcision, etc. There are tons of parenting topics that are more controversial than this one. This topic is related to Parenting because the amount of parental leave you get and whether it is paid or unpaid is something that affects all parents greatly, and breastfeeding mothers (such as the OP) especially. Better parental leave policy has been associated with higher rates of breastfeeding initiation and duration for example.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:32 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
Advent, I see your point...but the discussion seems to be geared more toward whether the government should pay for this rather than just the leave itself. The whole thread has been worded toward the governmental aspect and whether such legislation should be a part of a government program. Very little until the last page was even mentioned about FMLA, which is the one government avenue that assures time off for family-related medical issues. The previous "hot topics" all started out with how they related specifically to parenting and then went a little political - this one started out with government involvement and whether a program should be in place, and NOT whether leave was paid or unpaid in the private sector.

Very well, we'll let it stand and see what turn it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or