Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But what is so wrong with them sitting down to eat a meal together and just them? Why do the parents have to sit there at the table with them?
Because it gives them an opportunity to get to know who their child is with. Same on your side. You should get the opportunity to learn about this boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Not this adult, but I'm realistic about 14 year old kids.....I have 2 successful daughters myself, but I didn't allow them to "date" at that age.
That doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
That doesn't mean they shouldn't.
Doesn't mean they should either....but I was in no hurry to get my kids married off and into a submissive relationship with a husband...but that's just me.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
I never knew you were a guy...

And atleast I know she would be more focused on the kid than on other things....and yes I complain about my mom but were you a perfect teenager who never complained?
Your maturity really shines through. Should you even be considering having kids? Remember, you're not mature enough to date.

You think your mom would be focused on the kid? She's not all that focused on the 2 she has now. And that's based on what you tell us. Really, why would you even assume she would watch your kid? You'd probably do better depending on your mother-in-law.

And why are you calling yourself a teenager? And who said I was perfect?

And the remark about being a guy... your maturity isn't showing again.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Actually, you can not include us all in that blanket statement.
I read the whole story and give realistic advice to the situation to FIX the problem.

You know I complain about my mom putting super strict rules on me and instead of you saying, oh you should be listening to your mother and dealing with whatever rules she gives you....you should use your brain, sit back and see that giving a bed time to a 19/20 year old is asinine and give some good advice on how I could have sat my mom down and had and ADULT conversation with her to come to a compromise.
Child, you really need to point me to where I said all this. I never did. I said that YOU are not all that that you can change your mom, that where your mom is concerned, you're powerless. If mom doesn't want to sit down and discuss things with you, all the advice in the world isn't going to force her to. You really need to get over that mommy complex you have over your mom, you're not raising her. Now act mature and start making plans to move out so you don't have to deal with her. In the meantime, your only option is to suck it up.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM

254 posts, read 414,963 times
I personally feel, and adopted this attitude from my parents, that if a kid is old enough and responsible enough to have a job, they should be able to have dates or outings with their friends. I had a job when I was fourteen and my parents allowed me to to go on dates, as long as we were dropped off and picked up by either my or his parents, they knew where we were, and curfews were adhered to. You have to allow a kid some freedoms if they are responsible and well behaved, or they will feel like you don't trust them very much.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Speak for yourself

I post to be helpful, first and foremost.
Oh please, you make a judgment on the situation and people involved, and base your advice on that. That's how it is, even though it's not nice to say.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:59 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean they should either....but I was in no hurry to get my kids married off and into a submissive relationship with a husband...but that's just me.
I agree! I have a 14 yr old dd who is still deciding which college she'll attend, not what "boy" she'll marry. I'd much rather see her more focused on a career at this age.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
It's a pretty big leap from going out for pizza or a movie to marriage. I suppose you sent yours to an all girl school too, just so they didn't look submissively at a boy. Be sure to keep them out of the mall until they're grown. There are boys in malls. And church; you know what they say about those church boys... . Talk about submissive. I heard those church boys like submissive girls.

Good grief, you can't keep girls and boys away from each other. And all you nay sayers seem to think they are going to have sex because they are in the same room together.

Get your minds out of the gutter.

Last edited by NoExcuses; 06-06-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

Good grief, you can't keep girls and boys away from each other. And all you nay sayers seem to think they are going to have sex because they are in the same room together.

Get your minds out of the gutter.
This is so funny because I went to a Catholic coed high school where we were taught that sex before marriage is bad and condoms will send you to hell. I can think of 12 girls from my HS class who where moms before 20. Now I go to a VERY liberal college and the only person I know who even got pregnant is the woman in my class who is a "later in life" student with a husband.

The more you push them apart the more they want sex. When I was 18 I had my first boyfriend and after a few months my mom came to me and said "I think its time for you to go on the pill" I was 18 and haden't even had sex yet. However my mom wasnt ready to be a grandma and wanted to make sure I was being smart. I think her for that every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting