U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,885,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
why don't you suggest she make her own appointment and you pay for it.
Because its $65 for the eye visit and then $30+ for glasses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 4,448,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How do you know it's on $30 for the glasses? If she only needs a total of less than $100... I'd tell her to go wash some cars, walk dogs, do some housecleaning, SOMETHING... if only $100. Actually, I'd do that for glasses that cost less than $300.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM

753 posts, read 1,353,047 times
This is actually very simple. You report it and let CPS decide if they can intervene and to what degree they can do so.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,885,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
How do you know it's on $30 for the glasses? If she only needs a total of less than $100... I'd tell her to go wash some cars, walk dogs, do some housecleaning, SOMETHING... if only $100. Actually, I'd do that for glasses that cost less than $300.
Because I called up Wal-marts vision center and asked for pricing...
I'd of course find somewhere decent yet affordable for her to go to...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM

3,425 posts, read 5,967,304 times
OK if she truly needs the eye exam and glasses, here is what to do. Find the lowest cost exam, and then she can order glasses online (or you can order them for her and have her pay you) from zenni optical or another site like that that. Complete pairs of glasses start at about $10 (yes complete, with normal lenses not coke bottles and some cute frames).

Insurance often does not cover eye exams anyway. I don't know what she has so I cannot tell you whether it is covered or not. When I was 16 and wanted contacts, I paid for it all myself.

As far as the other stuff goes, I'd stay out of it and have her talk to an adult at school, like a counselor or the nurse (maybe start with the nurse since this is an access to healthcare thing and the nurse might be able to advise her on whether she can take herself to the neighborhood clinic or not, and so on....) You may be legally an adult, but I don't think you are the best person to be playing social worker for her, based on your relationship and past history.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,309,984 times
Quote:
What do you think about a mother who doesn't take her kids to the dentist, eye doctor or a regular doctor no matter how bad it is?

That girl I reported abuse on recently told me she thinks she needs glasses.
She says things are blurry, etc.
I was only 2 years younger than her when I found I needed glasses and I still need/wear glasses till today and she experiences a lot of what I experience.

People's faces and things being blurry at a distance they aren't for people with glasses on or 20/20 vision.

She told me her mom thinks she's faking it. I don't get how you can fake bad eye sight...but whatever..
And she refuses to take her to the eye doctor because she doesn't want to pay any amount of money for her exam etc.

She was sick for a month and a half a few months back and her mom wouldn't take her to be seen at all. She was deathly ill, hacking stuff up and her mom refused to take her.

This just pisses me off.
It's not like she's asking for new clothes etc..
She wants a frikkin eye exam and glasses so she can see right.

Should I report her parents again via CPS and tell them they refuse to take her to the doctors of any kind and she needs to be seen?
hmmm, does her mom have medical insurance? Do you know what goes on in their household?
How do you know the mom dont want to pay any money?
Not everyone can afford insurance. Have you talked to the mom and see if she knows she can get state help for medical services maybe the mom dont know she may be able to get help if she cant afford medical insurance.
Deathly ill? was the ambulance called?
How old is the child? Is the mom doing any other kind of neglect besides this?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM

47,586 posts, read 32,486,111 times
Quote:
But why don't you pay for it? At least offer some money to the mother and then see what she thinks?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 AM

47,586 posts, read 32,486,111 times
Or try talking to her father. Maybe he'll take her to get checked.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 AM

486 posts, read 889,000 times
Are you absolutely sure the mom has health insurance for her child? If not, I could see why she'd try not to use our medical system... not saying it's right at all, but it is super expensive without insurance.

I think this friend of yours should talk to her mom about going to the doctor anyway to verify that her vision isn't off... and if her mom doesn't take her she should save some money and go by herself. There are a lot of low cost places out there...

I would not call CPS. If I remember correctly you are a bit older? This girl should be able to take care of her own business by now.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 AM

5,759 posts, read 4,448,868 times
Based on the original thread about this girl and her parents, her parents seem like they're a bit...nutty. I don't think the girl can depend on them to get her glasses, she most likely has to do this herself. What Lisdol said on post #15, buying glasses on-line, is probably the best way for her to get glasses that won't cost her an arm and half a leg. She needs to somehow come up with the cash to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting