Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times

Advertisements

Here's more horse to beat: Appalachia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 PM

30 posts, read 77,426 times
thanks for the link - that was really interesting!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I don't know how many of youns are from Pennsylvania. I know that "Appalachia" has a somewhat negative connotation. If someone were to tell me that I am from Appalachia (Johnstown), they might be technically correct, but it's not a term that most Pennsylvanians use to refer to our state.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The Appalachian Regional Commission's definition of counties as Appalachian is all about funding and has little to do with the possibility that there may be some Appalachian culture afoot.

Also, the ARC considers a person to be Appalachian if they consider themselves Appalachian. According to the ARC, I could define myself as Appalachian because my mother grew up in Somerset County. She hasn't lived there in 58 years, but that doesn't matter.

But back to the OP's question, I'd define Pennsylvania Appalachia as stretching from southwest to northeast. Aside from Pittsburgh, the larger towns in that swath would include Johnstown, Altoona, State College, Williamsport, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, just off the top of my head.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 102,999 times
Surrounding areas outside of Brookville, Clarion and Dubois. Definitely PA's Appalachia.

Last edited by The_Outsider; 07-23-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Allow me to throw in my two cents here.

I was born and raised in the southern tier of New York state. I lived intermittently in Pennsylvania as well. I was born into a very poor rural farm family, albeit with a very intelligent father.

I can tell you from personal experiences (Having traveled abroad throughout "Appalachia") that you will find elements of Appalachian culture in both NY and PA.

As with the rest of the ARC's northern "Appalachia", you won't find the most stereotypical culture. However religion, poverty (Unfortunately), and a very rural aura do thrive even in the northern reaches. We just have our own form of Appalachian culture up in the frost.

I personally have always considered most of Pennsylvania to be a true part of Appalachia (As well as Southern tier NY), and never in a negative light. Appalachia shouldn't be taken negatively. It represents a rich history spread across a large map, including in itself many cultural gradients. It also represents some of the most beautiful hills and mountains in our entire nation! Breath-taking waterfalls and gorges, high foggy peaks and dense precious forest. Not to mention that our northerly hills look stunning under all the snow!

I believe Appalachia should be treated as more of a brotherhood than an ailment (Besides, that might kill some of the old southern VS. yankee attitude off).

Poverty and hillbilly-ness might be a shameful side. However, it is pointless to deny it's existence. PA and NY both have a large share of those elements as well (Along with Ohio), believe me! Ignoring a problem in order to look good doesn't solve the problem. This unfortunate habit of ignorance is one downside to the north.

In short, I believe Pennsylvania to be a true part of Appalachia.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
When I was a young man, just starting out in this world, and nobody was hiring, you could drive up to St. Marys and the business owners would practically be standing on the side of the road, along the million dollar highway with a sign in their hands and waving to the drivers while they traveled down the road, trying to flag them in and give them a job.

They didn't pay a whole lot of money and the gas station charged 10 cents more a gallon for gasoline, but there was jobs up there. Be it construction to build the big factories or factory work.

Many people from Punxsutawney, Du bois, Brockway etc drove the 20 to 50 miles each way every day to work there and many of them relocated to St. Mary's to be closer to their work.

Just because there was jobs there and work was plentiful - doesn't mean that the area was not depressed. I can remember driving past the bars in Kersey on the way home from work and wondering what kind of people drank in these dives. When the coal mines were working, people had money.
When the coal mines closed up - the people did what they had to do to survive. When the carbon industry and manufacturing moved in during WW II - people flocked to St. Mary's, Emporium, Du bois - to get a job.
After the war was over - powder metals took over and the scale of pay dwindled to the point of where people could not afford to build new homes or buy new cars or go on vacation or send their kids to school.
The only way out of those towns was to physically own the place where you worked or join the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania