Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,541 times

Advertisements

I laugh whenever I see York, Reading, or just about ANY of the eastern PA cities ranked above Erie in ANYONE's lists. The only ones I would rank above Erie are Philly and Allentown. The rest of PA's major cities east of State College aren't all that great, in my opinion. I have a friend who is from York and lived here in Erie, and he told me that many of York's "better" neighborhoods make Erie's worst ones look halfway decent.

Anyhow, here's my list (including "important" Pennsylvania cities under 50,000):

1. Pittsburgh (friendly people and good Polish food make it #1 on my list, lol)
2. Philadelphia
3. Erie/Allentown tied for third
5. Lancaster
6. Scranton
7. Altoona
8. Williamsport
9. York
10. Johnstown

HONORABLE MENTION: Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, Meadville, New Castle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
I laugh whenever I see York, Reading, or just about ANY of the eastern PA cities ranked above Erie in ANYONE's lists. The only ones I would rank above Erie are Philly and Allentown. The rest of PA's major cities east of State College aren't all that great, in my opinion. I have a friend who is from York and lived here in Erie, and he told me that many of York's "better" neighborhoods make Erie's worst ones look halfway decent.

Anyhow, here's my list (including "important" Pennsylvania cities under 50,000):

1. Pittsburgh (friendly people and good Polish food make it #1 on my list, lol)
2. Philadelphia
3. Erie/Allentown tied for third
5. Lancaster
6. Scranton
7. Altoona
8. Williamsport
9. York
10. Johnstown

HONORABLE MENTION: Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, Meadville, New Castle
Be careful. Now that you mentioned you like Pittsburgh there are people who will want you to write a book on why you chose it over Philly. Anything sort of an encyclopedia will make them unhappy.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 AM

932 posts, read 1,943,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
ok, Pittsburgh is a small city I am really not arguing. Your opinion is interesting to say the least. A metropolitan area ranked in the 20s is "small". I really don't care. Size isn't that important to me. I am happy with the quality of life in the Burgh.
Where did I say that at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Be careful. Now that you mentioned you like Pittsburgh there are people who will want you to write a book on why you chose it over Philly. Anything sort of an encyclopedia will make them unhappy.

The guy didn't even include Harrisburg on his list. Yeah...

Last edited by BTA88; 09-17-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Where did I say that at all?
How dare he speak well of Pittsburgh.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
This is hopeless, but the masochist within me demands I continue to pound my head against the wall.

1. I never said he can't or shouldn't speak well of Pittsburgh.
2. He's not speaking well of Pittsburgh, he's accusing me of something I didn't say.
3. I not once said Pittsburgh was a small city. I said it was a medium city. Which it is. 22nd largest metro in America and 61st largest city in America do not make it a large city. It's medium.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
you obviously didn't bother to read the post at all. next time, don't bother to hit reply if you aren't going to read. he obviously only took issue with SPS clear mischaracterization of his/he statements not with the fact SPS likes Pittsburgh.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
This is hopeless, but the masochist within me demands I continue to pound my head against the wall.

1. I never said he can't or shouldn't speak well of Pittsburgh.
2. He's not speaking well of Pittsburgh, he's accusing me of something I didn't say.
3. I not once said Pittsburgh was a small city. I said it was a medium city. Which it is. 22nd largest metro in America and 61st largest city in America do not make it a large city. It's medium.
Again you need to layoff Pittsburgh. You have some chip on your shoulder toward Pittsburgh.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM

429 posts, read 653,911 times
What is the point in arguing in one's opinion of large and small?

Pittsburgh is only 55sq miles, so many of the larger cities than Pittsburgh are actually a lot less urban because many are well over 500 sq miles. Places that annex most of their suburbs. If you put Pittsburgh at the same Sq millage then most average American cities then it would be well over 600K. I know this is hard for many people to grasp because it doesn't use a simple linear understanding and adds another variable of area into the equation. This causes trouble for people.

I never said who specifically said Pittsburgh was a "small" city. I believe some other poster used the word "small".

BTW, I like both cities. I love Center City as I use to work there in my first job out of college. I spent countless hours touring Philly for the short while I lived there. I enjoyed the city just as much as I enjoyed living in Pittsburgh. Yes, the two are different. Yes Pittsburgh is much smaller than Philly, but it is still a large city. I consider Large cities as an with professional teams and a large metro. But it is just asinine to argue about people's definitions of large and small. I just find it funny when people from Philly come out and act like Pittsburgh is some Altoona or Johnstown.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Again you need to layoff Pittsburgh. You have some chip on your shoulder toward Pittsburgh.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:

I'm not unhappy because he actually used some kind of adjective to qualify his preference (and I bet if I asked for more detail he would have no problem providing it). Pittsburgh does have amazing Polish food, and the pedestrian culture is certainly friendlier.

And LOL at that image, BTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania