U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM

4,633 posts, read 4,489,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
No. Philly demolishes Pittsburgh in just about every criticalcategory imaginable, none of it contingent on its east coast proximity.

2 different classes of city here gang.

Pittsburgh is a nice second or third tier US city. Philadelphia is firmly entrenched as one of the first tier cities. Pennsylvania is fortunate to have it as its. own
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LMAO!

Keep up the good JOKES Rainrock.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM

130 posts, read 112,643 times
Coal City and you are from Wilkes Barre? A bigger dump than Scranton. Lol

Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 PM

210 posts, read 171,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
Why do I keep seeing Scranton in people's lists? Can anybody tell me just 1 good thing about Scranton, that isn't far in the past, where I can't enjoy it?

The city is dead! It makes Detroit look like Tokyo, all of the people I've met there are rude & unwelcoming, everything is closed, there's no pretty skyline to look at, there are barely any jobs. The cool things to do if you live in Scranton are all located in Wilkes-Barre.
What does Scranton have, a mall in a small, dead downtown? We have a mall & a large vibrant downtown, which houses the NEPA offices of every single major company that chose to place itself in our area.
Well, for starters, consider it is nearly 90 degrees, Scranton residents are enjoying the multiple public pools, versus Wilkes barres zero public pools. Wilkes barre is also a city which won't even turn on its fountains or fix them.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM

3,807 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LMAO!

Keep up the good JOKES Rainrock.......
You'd have a field day with this thread from today Blackbeauty. Reflection of Pittsburgh from NJ Person

Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 PM

3,914 posts, read 8,268,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUncultured View Post
I lived in both. It is obvious that you never left Philly yourself. Pittsburgh is FAR MORE livable in the actual city than Philly. Period. Yes, Philly has a nicer downtown, and some decent city neighborhoods, but as a whole, Pittsburgh is far more livable. You have more cultural opportunities in Philly, but Pittsburgh offers a more better quality of life.

Using "crushes" is a major exaggeration. I have never seen such a major douchebag homer on here as much as you, but you really take the cake. I know, you are out on the Main line. But lets face it, majority of the Philly metro is pretty filthy. Get over yourself and your dirty city.
I am sorry you feel this way.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 PM

178 posts, read 254,386 times
PeterRabbit, yeah, the Presque Isle beaches can be uh...less than awesome at times. However sometimes they're great, it just depends on the current conditions I think. Just yesterday I was at beach 10 almost all day, and it was nice. The sand wasn't too rough, and I didn't see any sharp sea shells or driftwood. Just a little seaweed (lakeweed?) lol. But yeah for people used to really fine sand, the sand on Presque Isle can be rough on the feet.

But hey, I say Lake Erie (and Great Lakes in general) are nice, because...1) fresh water, not salt water= no icky uncomfortableness from the salt...2) No huge waves. Bad for people who like to surf, good for people who like to be able to just swim peacefully without worrying about getting battered or swept out to sea. Hehe.

I do like Pittsburgh a whole lot, though. I think it's a great city. It's been consistently ranked by a lot of sources as very high in livability, including things like prices, crime rates, environment, friendliness etc., while I can't say the same for Philly.

I think it comes down to where you're from and what you're used to. Someone who is FROM Philly or anywhere else further east/north would probably think Pittsburgh is a humdrum ghost town in comparison, because it's smaller. But to me, being from the Erie area, Philly is a gigantic, claustrophobic, icky, scary, crime-ridden place where just being there with wall to wall people makes me get a nervous tic and want to get out of there asap.

I'm sure people who have lived there and grown up there think it's normal and fine, nice place to live...and if they come to my little neck of the woods would probably complain about 1) lack of diversity, 2)smallness/not much to do, because they're used to high diversity and lots of man-made entertainment (restaurants/bars/shows etc.) where they're from, and not so much the do-it-yourself, outdoorsy entertainment I'm used to (fishing, hiking, boating, wildlife-watching, etc.)

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM

3,914 posts, read 8,268,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrunCultured View Post

Using "crushes" is a major exaggeration. I have never seen such a major douchebag homer on here as much as you, but you really take the cake. I know, you are out on the Main line. But lets face it, majority of the Philly metro is pretty filthy. Get over yourself and your dirty city.
Then what does that make the rest of the state? The rest of the country?

There are 3200 counties in the usa the 4 PA. suburban counties that surround Philadelphia are top 100 wealthiest counties in the USA. Led by Chester County(19th) Montgomery(32nd) Bucks(46th) Delaware(85th). The 4 wealthiest counties in the state.

The Avg Household Median Income in the USA is $51,000. Based on 2010 statistics.

PA. $50,000.
Chester County $85,000.
Montgomery $78,000
Bucks $75,000
Delaware $64,000

4 NJ counties that surround Philadelphia are also top 100 in regards to wealth. Hunterdon is #3 in USA.

I really dont get the animosity towards the Philadelphia area. It is an absolute titan in the country behind only NY,LA, and Chi. It helps put PA on the map in regards to economy, jobs, education, and cultural activities.

Look Pittsburgh is a nice town but in no way can it compare with Philadelphia. Thats not me being a braggadocious homer, thats me just telling the truth.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM

5,967 posts, read 3,404,188 times
Pennsylvania tier rankings
1.Philadelphia

2. Pittsburgh
(Significant dropoff)

3. Erie, Allentown, Harrisburg
4. Sranton, Chester, Williamsport, Reading
5. Wiles Barre, Hershey, Lancaster, etc.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 PM

5,967 posts, read 3,404,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallsPeopleout View Post
I don't care about suburban counties. I care about city living, and Philly is downright filthy. Instead of being such a douchebag homer babbling about how your city is so great, you should go out working on making inner city filthy so god awful disgusting and dirty. In Pittsburgh I could leave Squirrel Hill, walk down into Oakland, down into the South Side, over to downtown, up to Lawrenceville, Into Bloomfield, back up into Shadyside and into Squirrel Hill again. Did this often to get into shape, saw interesting things, and never felt a threat. You could not do such a thing in Filthy. I use to work in Center City and live in Filthy by the way so I can compare. Miss the public trans though.
I agree that Pittsburgh is a cleaner city but overall comparing Pittsburgh to Philadelphia is almost like comparing Buffalo, NY to New York City.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM

864 posts, read 1,418,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallsPeopleout View Post
I don't care about suburban counties. I care about city living, and Philly is downright filthy. Instead of being such a douchebag homer babbling about how your city is so great, you should go out working on making inner city filthy so god awful disgusting and dirty. In Pittsburgh I could leave Squirrel Hill, walk down into Oakland, down into the South Side, over to downtown, up to Lawrenceville, Into Bloomfield, back up into Shadyside and into Squirrel Hill again. Did this often to get into shape, saw interesting things, and never felt a threat. You could not do such a thing in Filthy. I use to work in Center City and live in Filthy by the way so I can compare. Miss the public trans though.
Are you sure about that? Do you know how big Philly is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania