U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 PM

323 posts, read 518,713 times

Advertisements

I drove through in late spring and couldn't believe there was still snow on the ground. I wanted to go camping a couple weekends in the summer but it was too cold and wet up there. But in general, the weather is getting worse throughout the state of PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 PM

323 posts, read 518,713 times
One more thing...the murder and suicide rate for the county is pretty high considering the population is around 40,000 or less.

Forest County and nearby McKean county have state and federal prisons. That would account for the population increases. Warren County also has a state mental hospital. The prisons and mental hospital can't help with the crime stats and the type of people it brings to the area.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM

712 posts, read 1,081,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
I see no one has posted to this thread for a long time, but maybe someone will be checking soon. After much soul-searching and life-changing events, I am thinking of moving back to PA after living elsewhere for 20 years. I am looking at:
1. Warren
2. Johnstown
3. Beaver Falls
4. DuBois
I am leaning very much toward Warren except I am worried that there won't be enough places to rent--I need low rent and very pet-friendly. I have 3 dogs and some house cats. I will have a good reference from this landlord when I leave, but from what I see in the paper there, there are a lot of ads that say No Pets. I will just need a small house (2 bedrms), not fancy, just a shack, really, with a yard and lots of windows. Is there any hope for me and Warren? Any comment, no matter now late, will be appreciated, as I am not going to move until spring 2010. Thanks so much!
Warren - you are probably going to have to rent a house to be able to have that many pets.

Johnstown - is so poor that you could take a dump on main street and no one would care. There is employment in Johnstown and also close to the malls and stuff.

Beaver Falls - is a knife and gun club. If you don't have a knife and gun when you come into the place - they give you one!

Dubois - you would have to rent a whole house to be able to have that many pets. There is no jobs and only one mall and it doesn't hardly have any stores and only a couple of fast food places. If you don't have a car, you are screwed in Dubois - because they have a bus that runs for the senior citizens and no taxi service.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I was wondering if anyone on the PA forum knows why Forest County has seen its population increase 38% since 2000? I drove along some rural roads in that area, and it seemed quite isolated to me.
The reason why Forest county has seen a population increase is because people are retiring from their jobs and are moving to the country to get away from the city life and the county always had a lot of hunting camps and now people are using them as a second home.

When you get up to Marionville, there is not much of anything to do.

You can go to Ray's Wet Spot, The Dew Drop Inn, Kelly's, Vonwickle Hotel, or even up to Cougar Bob's if you are really brave.

There is no Lowes or Walmart or Sears or even a big grocery store to do your shopping in. You have to go to Clarion to get anything more then just the basic necessities.

Some people just like the peace and quiet and being left along and being able to drive their snowmobiles down the main road to the local bar on the weekends.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM

I spent two days working on a power sub station up in Warren last summer.

It was on a street with the name of a tree and was near the park and borough building.

The sub was a direct feed into the refinery and you could not smell the refinery from a couple of blocks away. Even when you drive down main street and can see the refinery, you couldn't smell it. We ate hot dogs at the Quick Fill and couldn't smell it and you could see the tanks of the refinery from the fence in the parking lot of the Quick Fill.

There is a lot of motels along the road up there and also Hunters Paradise.

I couldn't see a lot of things to do except drink and do drugs and go four wheeling. But I was not there long enough to get to know all the locals.

Big Jacked up four wheel drive pickup's are the norm and no one pays any mind if you drive your four wheeler down the street to the quick fill to get some gasoline.

I wouldn't have any problem moving there or making friends. I doubt if it would take more than a keg of beer and a party to make as many friends as you could ever want.

There really wasn't much in the way of employment in that town unless you lived there and owned your own home and could live on minimum wage.

The refinery looks like something out of a Apocalypse movie with the rusted out towers and the open flames under the tanks. The place was really ran into the ground and I wouldn't use that oil in any of my vehicles, not even a lawnmower.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
i am trying to move to warren live in kane pa right now having a problem finding landlords can anyone help me?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch625 View Post
To clarify, I am single and have no children. A job is not an issue, as I am disabled. I draw a Social Security disability pension, and I have a Section 8 voucher. Low cost of living and decent amenities. It does sound like a good town so far. How about crime?
My Grandpa said they used to have a curfew and the policeman would go around the town at 8 oclock at night ringing a bell to let you know that everyone should get off of the streets. But they had to stop that because everyone was complaining that it was waking them up.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia38 View Post
i am trying to move to warren live in kane pa right now having a problem finding landlords can anyone help me?
I guess you didn't look too hard.

Hot-Ads Warren, PA

Hot-Ads Warren, PA

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 AM

2 posts, read 968 times
My husband and I are also considering relocating to the Warren area with our two young children. I have a few questions, please answer what you can if you like:

* What are the schools like? Do the teachers care whether the students succeed or not? Will my children receive good educations? What are the conditions of the daycares?
* What is the condition of the local hospital, Warren General? Is it a good place to work? What is the general attitude there?
* Are there any bike or walking paths that are easily accesible? I realize the Allegheny Park is nearby, what is there to do there?
* How is the drive between Jamestown and Warren?
*On average, how hot in the summer and how cold in the winter does Warren get? What natural disasters is it prone to?
* If you know, what are the radon levels in Warren?
* If you could describe Warren, PA in one or two words, only, what would they be?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM

2,252 posts, read 1,228,256 times
6 years of posts and not one picture. Warren was on my bike ride route last summer. Got there via St. Marys and Kane after visiting the Kinzua Bridge, or what was left of it. Just rode past the edge of the town but the scenery was breathtaking. Actually, the much maligned refinery on the river front was so picturesque that I had to stop and take pictures. Oh, no smells.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania