Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM

152 posts, read 321,795 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Three other reviews on the area from best places to live (sperlings) and NO, i didn't write any of them.

Last edited by Yac; 05-12-2011 at 05:30 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
The fracking area is not around Chambersburg. The gas shales may occur in some thin bands in some of the hills to the north and west of the valley but commercial thickness is out past Altoona and State College.

Chambersburg is also not downstream of the commercial fracking zone, although the Letterkenny Army Depot is on the Superfund list twice Pennsylvania Superfund Sites | Mid-Atlantic Superfund | US EPA because it has managed by past activities to contaminate headwaters flowing both to the Susquehanna and the Potomac.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm not sure, but i also think that perry county to the north and fulton county to the west of chambersburg, have lower tax rates. These are the real rural areas, if that is what you are looking for. They are the small towns. There is more property available in those areas, and they offer alot of outdoor sports, hunting , fishing, off roading, mudding etc...

Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 AM

Default wrong again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
cincur63, with all due respect, it sounds like you, with the so called good education, didn't have a clue what you were doing when you moved to a small town in PA versus living in a big city. most of your gripes are basically city versus country. your complaints are mostly that you are unhappy than legitimate. PA doesn't have the same amount of snow or ice that ny gets (last year excepted) particularly in southeastern pa. if you wanted high taxes and good snow clearance, you moved to the wrong place. new yorkers always leave their home and then ***** that it isn't the same as where they left. if you want to compare long island in apples to apples, you'd have to compare with a Philadelphia suburb. you also have to look at income taxes if you work, which in ny are substantially higher than PA. do you get what you pay for? probably not..at least for most areas of ny. chmabersburg
is more similar to depew, ny. how much are they getting for their taxes?
Wow, some people don't get it, and only read what they want. No one wants it to be like where they came from. The point is.... you pay higher taxes for better services. My LI town was smaller then chambersburg. This is apples to apples. I don't mind paying taxes on a home (or interest on my mortgage) as when tax time comes, that's my biggest write off. I get it back in the form of a refund. The children here don't get a very good education. I cannot get my life back if i total my car and get hurt due to lack of salt on an icy road. The unprofessional police i mention... that's the norm here... it's not some rougue cop trying get a thrill. The roads here are in bad shape, there is data around to prove it, worst bridges etc... They do road construction and put stop signs on the entrance ramps of 81, so you have to stop and then get to 60 MPH to get on the highway and hope not to get hit. IN OTHER WORDS, AS FAR AS TAXES ON PROPERTY GO, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. So if you don't need good roads, cleared snow, good education, etc... then move to wear the taxes are lower.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
really? doesn't seem to mean anything. I've lived in a small town and big city. I got along fine with both. you are a very confused person.
bang up education you have gotten up there.

I'm glad you found out rural pennsylvania is rural. please don't leak it out.
Again, he may have lived in a small town, just like i lived in a small town, but we are talking about this small town , chambersburg, and he stopped and ate lunch here once. My bang up education is from a small town on long island. I now know i got a good education , and i thank my school district.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
There doesnt seem to be much data to support the idea that chambersburg has ramoant gun crime. seems like a decent if quiet small town
It's not illegal or criminal to shoot yourself while sleepwalking or accidentally discharge your gun into the trailer next door. learn to read

Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
My wife and I spent a long weekend in Shippensburg this past week. Looking at houses, walking the town and the college campus. We're considering this area for possible retirement location in a couple years. Shippensburg seemed too quiet for us.
Which leads me to my question about Chambersburg. Its a larger town, seems to have more going on, and is still in the same area. So my question is this: was my first impression correct? What advantages or disadvantages does Chambersburg have compared to Shippensburg?
Let's get back to the OP please. He is not moving here from out of state. He is asking about Chambersburg in comparison to Shippensburg.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Let's get back to the OP please. He is not moving here from out of state. He is asking about Chambersburg in comparison to Shippensburg.
If you have to choose between shippensburg and chambersburg, take ship. But you eliminated carlisle due to the highways, and if you live in either of these two towns , you will spend alot of time on 81 anyway. In order to find things to do , you will have to get on the highway. Did you look into boiling springs? mechanicsburg? Camp hill? You will be much closer to things to do. I have friends in ship as i've said, and they all like the luhrs center for things to do. There is a cornfest in the summer. The local mall is about the same distance from ship and cburg. (i believe the mall is on the endangered list as it doesn't get much business). There aren't many good restaurants in either town, just alot of chain restaurantsand buffets. At least in ship you will be a little closer to the north central part of the state. You can go to penn state to watch football, a favorite for alot of people here. You'll have a little culture with the college. The amish are in ship. Shippensburg also has another fest in the summer with carnival rides, and farm animals. Then theres the big farm fest up by harrisburg. Also believe it or not chambersburg has an area that some say has some element in it, i don't think it's too bad there. the projects look fairly livable , they are behind big lots if you want to drive through it. The people who live in this area and near the main st nearby, don't seem too dangerouse like i'm told they are. There is a walking path that runs from like the cvs near the big lots in through town, past the old fort chambers. Alot of people walk there, so it's very safe.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM

I also want to note that alot of my neighbors do commute to baltimore, DC, or parts of maryland that are closer. It is a long commute, but this area is considered commutable by some people.

It is nice to know that you can drive to a train station in maryland and take a train in for some more things to do, as DC and Baltimore as you know have alot of activities. Although it is a long day with all the added time, but at least if you take the train in , you can rest a little

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Traveling? the hagerstown airport is increasing it's service , it has some non stop flights to florida and i believe they have added a few more. This is very convenient. Harrisburg has an international airport. Most people end up in Baltimore or DC for flights though as they offer more options and destinations, and better fares. Amtrak has a station in harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania