Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,372 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON, Pa. -- Lawmakers in Harrisburg approved some Pennsylvania cities to receive red light cameras over the weekend.

Officials in Washington County have expressed interest and said they are looking into the possibility.

The cameras would catch people running red lights using a sensor. It would snap a photograph of the license plate and a fine would be sent in the mail a few days later.

Lawmakers Approve Some Pa. Cities To Receive Red Light Cameras - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,977 times
There is already red light camera's in Pennsylvania - you just don't know about them.

The legality of it is that they personally have to see the infraction taking place to testify in court that the event happened. A camera cannot testify and it cannot prove that you actually ran a red light and it cannot verify that the light was not malfunctioning.

So the camera part is not a big deal, what is a big deal is to get a law passed that allows a municipality to write tickets and stand behind the tickets without any actual witness.

It's all a ploy to give the mobile revenue collectors - Cops - another way to collect fines - to make money for the local governments.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
4 or 5 years ago I got one of those tickets in the mail from the turnpike. I exited through an Easy Pass lane. I'm pretty sure that Pittsburgh has had red light cams. Eventually they'll be able to take our pics while running the light and also not wearing a seat belt, speeding, etc.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:48 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Y'all got too many Murlanders moving to Pee Aye, they're the ones that push this.

Maryland has a big problem with red light runners. After the cameras were installed at the worst intersections the number of accidents at red lights went way down so that is a positive.
The new hot lick down here is now speed cameras in residential areas. Not approved yet but probably will be in the next couple years.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
Franklin County has lots of red light cameras...didn't surprise me since I'd seen them in Ohio and PA when I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania