U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 AM

6 posts, read 6,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Cook Forest has possibly the closest stand of Penn's original woods anywhere in the state. Other old growth areas have only hemlock, but Cook Forest has un-cut white pine too. Thus the Forest Cathedral is a unique experience. The Clarion River valley is beautiful and nearby Clear Creek SP (I haven't been to Clear Creek) is said to be a hiker's delight.

A couple of negatives about Cook Forest is that the main road both sides of the park has the kind of kitschy crap that used to be associated with the Poconos. Also PA 36 has much truck traffic so you hear jake brakes in the Forest Cathedral too.
Thanks for the Cook Forest information. The original sylvania--sounds good!
I too hate the kitchy tourist stuff, but if I know it's there, I could prepare myself--assume it's not actually in the park. Traffic noise is not an issue for me, but might be for my partner.

Will have a look at Hills Creek and the Parker dam areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 AM

414 posts, read 807,571 times
If you go to either of these spots, I'd recommend some of the great backroads in there (rts 44, 120, 555), the elk herd areas, and stopping at Hyner View state park which has one of the more impressive vistas in PA or in the north east.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM

712 posts, read 1,083,158 times
I'm not quite sure how to answer this - because everyone's tastes and opinions are different. But I believe that this person was looking for something to be handed to them - be close to home and be cheap and nice and I believe that Cooks Forrest and Parkers Dam is probably too primitive and too far away from home and too expensive for them.

At the same time Erie is clear across the state and out of the question.

I would compare this to a person that would like to buy a Caviar for $5 a pound,
You might be able to find some, but for $5, it isn't going to be very good.

The economy has put a crunch on everyone, and people are looking for a good cheap alternative to what they are usually accustomed to, without giving up any of the luxuries and amenities that they have become accustomed to in the past.

There is no room service in a CCC Cabin at Parkers Dam, and you do have to bring your own bedding and pots and pans and plates, and forks, knives and spoons. You have to BUY your own firewood and you have to clean up after yourself before you leave.

There is no 6 Flags in Erie either...

Cabin rentals are on a first come, first served basis and some people actually rents their cabins a year in advance. Now come October / November - you can practically pick which cabin you would like to rent and there is no problems. But before labor day, it isn't just as easy as picking up a telephone and calling someone and making reservations.

Cooks Forest on the other hand has many little camp grounds where you can rent a cabin - away from the main location anytime you wish. Clear Creek State Park is the same way.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 7,461 times
I don't know if it is a state park but I saw a show a few weeks ago on Dingman's Falls. I think they said it was the highest water fall in Pa. It is not far from SE Pa. I would guess it is maybe 1.5-2 hours. It is somewhere above Easton near the Del Water Gap.

Yahoo! Image Search Results for dingmans falls waterfalls=

Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM

3,184 posts, read 5,594,361 times
The batty park is Canoe Creek near Altoona. It's not high on my list of favorites.

Keystone SP near Latrobe has nice cabins but kinda boring otherwise.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
If you go to either of these spots, I'd recommend some of the great backroads in there (rts 44, 120, 555), the elk herd areas, and stopping at Hyner View state park which has one of the more impressive vistas in PA or in the north east.
Good information. PA 120 and Hyner View will be wonderful additions to our itinerary. We have eight days and want to just meander around the state with a few days here and a couple there.

At present, we have reservations near Presque Isle and in Cook's Forest and I'm sure we can get them at World's End which will put us close to home. Waiting to hear about something in Renova (close to Hyner View).

It's going to be a great vacation! Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations.

And Internet Superman "There is no room service in a CCC Cabin at Parkers Dam, and you do have to bring your own bedding and pots and pans and plates, and forks, knives and spoons. You have to BUY your own firewood and you have to clean up after yourself before you leave."

Thanks for your concern--I think we'll be okay.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 PM

884 posts, read 1,424,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisea View Post
Good information. PA 120 and Hyner View will be wonderful additions to our itinerary. We have eight days and want to just meander around the state with a few days here and a couple there.

At present, we have reservations near Presque Isle and in Cook's Forest and I'm sure we can get them at World's End which will put us close to home. Waiting to hear about something in Renova (close to Hyner View).

It's going to be a great vacation! Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations.

And Internet Superman "There is no room service in a CCC Cabin at Parkers Dam, and you do have to bring your own bedding and pots and pans and plates, and forks, knives and spoons. You have to BUY your own firewood and you have to clean up after yourself before you leave."

Thanks for your concern--I think we'll be okay.
When at World's End, drive a few miles up the mountain and check out the town of Eagle's Mere. It's a picturesque town of second homes build around a lake, and worth a walk along the main street, for lunch, ice cream or to browse in the used bookstore.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
When at World's End, drive a few miles up the mountain and check out the town of Eagle's Mere. It's a picturesque town of second homes build around a lake, and worth a walk along the main street, for lunch, ice cream or to browse in the used bookstore.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 PM

3,184 posts, read 5,594,361 times
Be aware some of these roads have been negatively impacted by gas drilling traffic, especially PA 144 south of Renovo.

While in Renovo there's only one place to stay - Yesterday's Hotel. It truly is - yesterday's hotel, a former railroad YMCA. They might have only one or two rooms with private bath. (I hear the railroaders themselves nowadays stay at the Sportsman's out the east end of town.)

At Hyner Run SP I've stayed in the lodge before, but that might be overkill for a single family if it's even available to a non-group.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
At Hyner Run SP I've stayed in the lodge before, but that might be overkill for a single family if it's even available to a non-group.
Actually, this is what we have ended up with--I didn't realize until I made the reservation that it is a 2 story/3 bedroom cabin. Still only about $80/night--but I feel like we could take in borders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania