U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 PM

7,531 posts, read 11,430,164 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know the pros & cons of living in the Boyertown area of Berks County. I'm interested in the following:
Real Estate: Costs & availability

Traffic: flow & density, road conditions & construction projects

Programming Jobs: availability & pay scale

General political orientation

blessings.....Franco
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 8,285,580 times
Real estate prices and taxes in eastern Berks are less then in Montgomery County, although creeping up as more and more people move west from the nearer Philly suburbs. Traffic along 422 is bad, but only gets really bad once you hit Limerick and Oaks. Political orientation is more or less conservative although it's both educated and blue collar. People know the issues, and don't just pull party levers which is more than you can say for alot of areas. Conservative democrats do well, liberals generally don't. What's a programming job? Seriously, if you can commute to KOP, you can find almost any job. Berks unemployment is about 4%, covering many job areas.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 PM

78 posts, read 265,598 times
You should have an easy time finding affordable housing in the Boyertown area.
Real Estate is reasonable and the taxes are a bargain compared to alot of the surrounding areas. As for Icy's comment that Berks is cheaper, I would have to disagree. Taxes in Berks are considerably higher in many areas. The Berks unemployment rate has hovered around 5% since 2001. Not 4%.
Boyertown is close enough to many areas where finding a job, if you have the skills, will be easy. You can work in Reading, Exton, Allentown or King of Prussia and none of these areas is more than 30 miles. Most of the rural roads travel slowly as they are only 2 lanes but the congestion is less in most of the out lying areas. Icy pegged the political scene but...the Boyertown area has had a history of extremist groups. Do some google searching and you should be able to find the historical records from the area papers.
I need to say that I have a number of clients who have moved to the Boyertown/Douglassville/Amity Township area and they absolutely love it. The area has a great family atmosphere with easy access to major interstates that can get you anywhere.

All the best.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 AM

11,276 posts, read 8,285,580 times
Will Kelly brings up a valid point about extremist groups, Boyertown has a history of a white hate group base that was bigger in the 80s and probably still exists today to a much lesser degree. Boyertown is on the western edge of that area which extends into Montgomery County to as far as Lansdale. Not really bad, just people refusing to get along.
As for unemployment, the latest figures were 4% for May, up slightly from 3.9% for April in Berks. This varies seasonally and year to year, last year it was 4.6%. This according to the Reading Eagle, Monday's June 26th edition.
Berks has been generally about tied with the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia metro region. Schuylkill County has about 5% currently.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:57 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,253,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Will Kelly brings up a valid point about extremist groups, Boyertown has a history of a white hate group base that was bigger in the 80s and probably still exists today to a much lesser degree. Boyertown is on the western edge of that area which extends into Montgomery County to as far as Lansdale. Not really bad, just people refusing to get along.
Having been raised mostly in the Boyertown area, I agree with this assessment. However, I think the racist attitudes and mentalities are dying off quickly with the over-abundant elderly population. I was happy to drive through B-town the other day and spot a few African-Americans, which, if you know the town, is a relatively unusual sight. Social progress takes time, but -- especially with the "No Place for Hate" program being implemented in Boyertown's public schools -- it's evident that people are beginning to accept that prejudice is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
As for unemployment, the latest figures were 4% for May, up slightly from 3.9% for April in Berks. This varies seasonally and year to year, last year it was 4.6%. This according to the Reading Eagle, Monday's June 26th edition. Berks has been generally about tied with the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia metro region. Schuylkill County has about 5% currently.
Boyertown and neighboring Gilbertsville are very attractive suburban areas in terms of their locations. Both towns are centrally located between Philadelphia (40 miles SE), Allentown (25 miles NNE), and Reading (20 miles W) -- so residents definitely have a multitude of job options to which they can commute, which is reflected in the low unemployment rate.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM

31 posts, read 98,633 times
As far as the real estage agent's comment, you didn't address the unfriendliness of the area. In previous posts I've seen people say things like standoffishness, and believe me that's the case. We've lived here 6 years, have tried, and are still trying outreach-minded things like giving neighbors small Christmas gifts at that time of the year. Still can't claim any real friends here. But we try.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,554 times
Thumbs down Ha! Still filled with new age, middle age & old age hipocrites!

I got out of that dump area! For many good reasons too!

Hate group hillbillies, with no jobs, more companies close than open! Oh wait, they got a Walmart, and maybe getting a Building supply store. But that still does not bring them up to speed.

You might get cheap rent (if your White, a hillbilly, a Nascar fan and/or Pa Dutch), or maybe a cheap mortgage to live amongst the Hipocritical .

Do yourself a favor, and go down to Montgomery County, at least there's work, the turnpike to the City, access to the trains, and real jobs that pay real money, and people who do not judge anyone who is not a "White Pa Dutchman or women"!

Believe it or not , past Harleysville is a nice area, still have some country areas, good living, places to live, and the Human race is up to Par (Living in the Millenium) more accepting to all walks of life. There are alot of nice towns in Montgomery County that offer that!

I had no choice being born & raised in that area, soon as I had the chance I got my things, and got out! No reason others can't either, unless their lazy & enjoy their ignorance. Seriously you don't want to be in Berks County, unless your a Hillbilly or Nascar fan! I grew up & went to school with these people...I know what I am talking about !

And anyone with half a brain got out, don't do Boyertown or Berks they're one in the same, the older generation just "passed down" how to be hipocrites against every other race, and they are too, Knew to many families that have the "kissing cousin disease" as well, many of my old school friends had "strange" family life styles, leave it at that.

I still have family there, they have to come to the city to see me, I won't step foot back in that area except emergencies.

The last funeral I attended, for a friends mother, in 2005, was a sad disgrace. Flip flops, tube tops, and a party of hillbillies right infront of my friends mothers body. It was in such poor taste.
These people think they live normal, and even the friend does not live there anymore, but his mother was being buried there.
He lives near the City, and was past imbarrassed by his families actions at his mothers funeral.

His own siblings were so disrespectful during the viewing. But, I said to him "Hey, Consider the source, they are typical lazy, two faced hipocrite hillbillies, so they're gonna be that way even at their own mothers funeral"...Sadly, he had to agree!

Thank god he got out, met a City girl and live very comfortable in the Montgomery burbs. And once your out, you lose the Dutchy accent, and realize even more, how two faced & self centered they are in Boyertown/Berks areas.

Try and find a hotel room (if they even have any hotels left) stay a week or two there, you'll see real quick. I get evil stares for wearing a nice suit and driving a nice car. Imagine if I were not white?

Philly & New York for me. And the Montgomery Burbs too ! Bucks is not too bad either. Lehigh sucks as bad as Boyertown & Berks Co.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,962 times
Default Yo Philly Dude

Boy, you sure are pretty racist yourself. I did the exact opposite and migrated out here away from all the hustle and bustle of Philly and I love it. Now, granted the culture level just isn't quite there, but these people do not deserve the attack you have presented. Do your self a favor, and me, too - STAY IN PHILLY!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM

384 posts, read 479,663 times
I mostly agree with Phillydude. I visited family in Harleysville and took a ride out to Boyertown. We stopped in a dinner which reminded me of the one in "Easy Rider". No offense but the people seemed very distrustful. I'll a white man from Staten Island, NY, but I don't have a thick NY accent. I like country areas but this place seemed somewhat odd.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
I moved to Boyertown and love it some 35 years ago....I love living in a small town and I find that for the most part you get what you give. There is a mix of people and with Pottstown being so close we are glad that we have been able to keep the criminal element out. There are lots of basket parties, craft shows and we are close enough to other cultural events. The town is surrounded by gorgeous country atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania