Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2006, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 79,900 times

Advertisements

I'm here in Georgia, newly widowed. Grew up in Wilkes-Barre area. It would just be me moving up there, tossing around the idea of moving back, but maybe an hour away from the "valley".Any suggestions? Ps, I work in healthcare. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 06:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Let me start by saying that I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I'm only 19, but I've spent enough time driving around the area and making connections with a slew of different people to have a pretty good idea of the quality-of-life in every corner of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Wilkes-Barre itself has been struggling to bounce back for years now after the Agnes Flood of 1972. Ever since then everyone who had the financial means to do so has packed their bags and "moved on up" to massive new housing developments in the Back Mountain and Mountain Top (You'd probably be shocked at how overdeveloped the Dallas area has become since you saw it last!) While current Mayor Thomas Leighton is trying to get people interested in leaving the 'burbs and coming to live in the city again, he's not been too successful. The city overall is still declining, and crime (in most neighborhoods) is on the high side.

However, that's not to say that the whole area is bad. The Pittston Area, where I've grown up, has proven itself to be a very safe, tranquil, serene area in which to reside. If you lived here, you'd probably LOVE the convenience of being just fifteen minutes from Scranton or Wilkes-Barre without the worry of making sure your home security system is up-to-date! LOL! Unfortunately, sprawl has pretty much destroyed the "beauty" of Pittston---The downtown is literally decaying, and the surrounding hillsides in the nearby townships are being developed for massive housing developments, strip malls, etc.

When you say "An hour from the valley, but I'm in health care", Danville immediately popped into my mind. Danville is home to a major medical center, and it still has a very "small-town" feel to it. Danville is pretty close to Bloomsburg for the annual Bloomsburg Fair, Columbia Mall, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc. Tunkhannock, home to Tyler Hospital, also came to mind. Tunkhannock is "Bedford Falls" at its finest---There's still a quaint downtown with a small theatre, historic homes, mom-and-pop shops galore, etc. There's also a new Wal-Mart Supercenter coming to town, and Tunkhannock is only about a half-hour away from Wilkes-Barre or Scranton for all of your "urban" needs.

I know I threw a lot of information at you, but to give you just ONE good possibility within an hour's drive of Wilkes-Barre is nearly IMPOSSIBLE! LOL! Depending on your income, you may also want to check out the ritizier "Abington" area of Lackawanna County, between Scranton and Tunkhannock. Here in the Clarks Summit area, you'll find a "yuppie-oriented" downtown with an organic foods store, kitchen accessory store, yoga classes, etc. surrounded by mostly newer homes. This area is QUITE popular to new transplants, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a "Welcome Wagon" here.

If you post more detailed information about your ideal housing price range, favorite leisure activities (golf? hiking? coffeehouses? theater?), tolerance for driving long distances to stores, etc., then I can definitely be of better help to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania