U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM

540 posts, read 573,128 times
A co-worker of mine moved from Beaver County to Bridgeport, CT in the early 1980's to look for work after the steel industry collapsed.

He said his co-workers in CT that he sounded southern and were tired of southerners moving in.

Personally I do not think is a southern state, but to someone from way up north, like New England or the Upper Mid-West, PA, more so western PA, may seem southern to them. I grew up mainly in north-central WV and Waynesburg and I am told I have a southern accent when I venture far into the North. I am also told I sound northern when I venture past North Carolina and Tennessee. Go figure!

I also think the northern areas of WV are not southern either but I'm sure opinions vary on that too.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,808,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
A co-worker of mine moved from Beaver County to Bridgeport, CT in the early 1980's to look for work after the steel industry collapsed.

He said his co-workers in CT that he sounded southern and were tired of southerners moving in.
Interesting, although pretty strange. I've found that more than a few New Englanders have a very literal definition of "the South," as in New York being considered "Southern."

In terms of accents, Pennsylvania is most certainly Northern but still "North Midland," so yes, our dialect to those in Upper Northern regions will hear more "Southern" tones. We all have relative ears.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 AM

48 posts, read 26,023 times
Pennsylvania is a Northern state. Also, to say that it is a southern state because it had slaves is irrellivent. Nearly every colony had slaves. (All of them, If I'm remembering correctly)

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM

8,267 posts, read 9,405,841 times
Penna is the north. Why anyone would say its the south baffles me.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM

1,128 posts, read 896,358 times
This is very ridiculous. What's next, are we going to ask if Massachusetts is the West Coast because Boston is dense like San Francisco

Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM

9,318 posts, read 7,561,980 times
Quote:
Personally I do not think is a southern state, but to someone from way up north, like New England or the Upper Mid-West, PA, more so western PA, may seem southern to them.
What it might seem to other people doesn't make it what it is. Pennsylvania is Northern, period, including all parts of the state. Anybody who suggests otherwise is ignorant of both geography and history.

Quote:
I also think the northern areas of WV are not southern either but I'm sure opinions vary on that too.
Opinions might vary, but the fact is that it's Northern too.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,341,424 times
I saw a confederate battle standard on a jeep in St. Marys, PA recently. It had a system of horns that played Dixie. Very disturbing... you can't get any more "non-South" than North-Central PA... but there has been a widespread Southernization of rural culture throughout America in recent decades.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM

1,473 posts, read 934,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Opinions might vary, but the fact is that it's Northern too.
I think a pretty strong case can be made for much of WV being southern. PA, though, no way.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM

1,473 posts, read 934,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I saw a confederate battle standard on a jeep in St. Marys, PA recently. It had a system of horns that played Dixie. Very disturbing... you can't get any more "non-South" than North-Central PA... but there has been a widespread Southernization of rural culture throughout America in recent decades.
I saw two Confederate flags on houses in Berks County last summer.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM

9,318 posts, read 7,561,980 times
I've seen Catholic churches, Cape Cod houses, and restaurants that serve Buffalo wings in different parts of Georgia. Who knew that Georgia was part of the North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania