Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,883 times

Advertisements

Hello Pennsylvania natives i'm from Illinois and was curious as to what part of the country would you all prefer Pennsylvania to be associated with, the North or South, I personally think Pennsylvania should be labeled as the North but my neighbor from New Jersey says PA is the South, I know some of you will say PA is PA and nothing else but PA did have slavery which gives it southern roots.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs7bw!n View Post
Hello Pennsylvania natives i'm from Illinois and was curious as to what part of the country would you all prefer Pennsylvania to be associated with, the North or South, I personally think Pennsylvania should be labeled as the North but my neighbor from New Jersey says PA is the South, I know some of you will say PA is PA and nothing else but PA did have slavery which gives it southern roots.

For the first bold I need to say nothing.

For the second, all the colonies had slavery so I guess Massachusetts is southern, too.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,075 times
Didn't all states start out as slave states?
PA is northern...it's north of the Mason-Dixon line, was part of the Union during the Civil War, and I've never heard someone call it the South. Your neighbor is dead wrong.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,811 times
I've never in my life ever heard anyone say Pennsylvania was part of the South. That's just bizarre. PA is certainly different from the rest of the north....we have a more drunken hillbilly culture than those from Jersey, NY, Connecticut, etc....but we're still in the north geographically and I don't think many in PA consider themselves southerners, although a lot do have trucks with the Confederate Flag on it.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,187 times
Don't forget new jersey was originally part of PA. Also the mason-dixion line is south of PA.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
one post wonder

Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,057 times
Quote:
I'm a PA native and it is definitely the North. I don't even consider the Mason-Dixon the dividing line for the North and South. States like Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia are border states and one could really argue either way about them. The real South starts at Virginia imho.

Some people joke and say PA is Alabama in between Philly and Pittsburgh but it's really far from it. We do like hunting, fishing, guns, etc probably more than other Northern states but we are still Northerners 100%. I've never heard a fellow native say otherwise.

Every one of the original thirteen colonies allowed slavery so that doesn't make it Southern. PA had a vocal anti-slavery movement from it's beginnings as a colony and became the first northern state to adopt an emancipation law in 1780.

Research the Underground Railroad sometime and you'll see our Northern roots shine.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Your friend from New Jersey is an idiot. Pennsylvania is, has been, and always will be, a Northern state. By the way, New Jersey was the last Northern state to abolish slavery, so in your friend's eyes, New Jersey should even more "Southern" than Pennsylvania is.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Your friend from New Jersey is an idiot. Pennsylvania is, has been, and always will be, a Northern state. By the way, New Jersey was the last Northern state to abolish slavery, so in your friend's eyes, New Jersey should even more "Southern" than Pennsylvania is.
W. Penn should have keep that land called new jersey, then we would have our own beaches...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
The only person I know wanting to insist PA is southern is from Massachusetts. It's not southern, never should be considered southern. South is Virginia and below. Maryland can be sort of either/or in places but mostly to me has always seemed more northern than southern. And I grew up in the vicinity of MD/VA/WV/PA 4 states within 20-30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania