Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

The reason is former Governor Gifford Pinchot. He was an ardent Prohibitionist who was the Governor of Pennsylvania when the Constitution was amended to repeal Prohibition, and he is solely responsible for Pennsylvania's alcohol laws.

Here's the Wikipedia article on Gifford Pinchot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
When Prohibition was nationally repealed in 1933, and four days before the sale of alcohol became legal in Pennsylvania again, Pinchot called the Pennsylvania General Assembly into special session to debate regulations regarding the manufacture and sale of alcohol; this session led to the establishment of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board and its system of state-run liquor stores, reflecting Pinchot's desire to "discourage the purchase of alcoholic beverages by making it as inconvenient and expensive as possible."
And here's the Wikipedia article on the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, plus an interesting quote from former Governor Richard Thornburgh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Thornburgh
"The principal roadblock to reform has traditionally been an odd coalition of state store employee unions, fundamentalist anti-alcohol groups, and organizations such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving, all of which perceive that they have legitimate interests which are not susceptible to statewide budgetary considerations. It would take some courageous leadership to stare down this combination, something I do not see in the Commonwealth today."
The only reason Pennsylvania's alcohol laws remain the way they are is because special-interest groups have more political will than the general public -- a problem that's in no way exclusive to Pennsylvania, I might add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
All the Quakers I know can drink me under the table.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Well if Tom Corbett is a man of his word, then the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is in for some Hell.
He is going to be like the rest of the administrations. All lip service. As far as high paid PLCB clerks, they start out at 11 bucks an hour. Not a good living but it is a state job.

On another note, I had to go to NJ yesterday for business. An excuse to make my Heinken pick-up. I kept that extra 8 bucks i saved from the loan sharks at PLCB.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM

356 posts, read 833,950 times
Why does it matter? I've been in PA, OH, and MD. OH by far has the most lax rules about alcohol of the three and I see it's convienence, but I don't see it's purpose. MD is basically the same as PA, except the separate stores are privately owned instead of government owned.

As someone who once worked at a grocery store, I was grateful I didn't have to worry about watching kids to make sure they didn't steal alcohol or try to buy it underage.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
Why does it matter? I've been in PA, OH, and MD. OH by far has the most lax rules about alcohol of the three and I see it's convienence, but I don't see it's purpose.
I'm guessing you've never bought multiple different types of alcohol for a party? Fairly convenient in all states, except for PA. The "purpose" of the "lax" rules is to not treat all your citizens like babies and/or criminals.

Quote:
MD is basically the same as PA, except the separate stores are privately owned instead of government owned.
No. MD stores have every type of alcohol under one roof. If I want a 6-pack, a case of beer, and a bottle of wine, that's 3 different stores in PA. It's all at one store in MD. Obviously wine/beer in supermarkets is more convenient, but I'll take the MD model (same for NJ and DE) over PA any day. There's a reason people risk prosecution by going over the state lines to purchase alcohol. More competition= lower prices, and lower prices and more convenience is a better shopping experience.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM

356 posts, read 833,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I'm guessing you've never bought multiple different types of alcohol for a party? Fairly convenient in all states, except for PA. The "purpose" of the "lax" rules is to not treat all your citizens like babies and/or criminals.

No. MD stores have every type of alcohol under one roof. If I want a 6-pack, a case of beer, and a bottle of wine, that's 3 different stores in PA. It's all at one store in MD. Obviously wine/beer in supermarkets is more convenient, but I'll take the MD model (same for NJ and DE) over PA any day. There's a reason people risk prosecution by going over the state lines to purchase alcohol. More competition= lower prices, and lower prices and more convenience is a better shopping experience.

Yes, I have, but it doesn't seem inconvienent. At least where I've lived the beer distributor was right across the street from the State store, which was right next to the grocery store. Sure, 3 stops, but it's not like you have to drive all over town to pick things up.

And you're right about the MD thing.

And 6-pack's are a waste of money. Usually they're insanely priced compared to what you'd pay for an entire case of beer.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I don't know where you guys are getting that MD prices are lower than PA prices. Maybe right across the Mason-Dixon but in SoMD, where I am, the prices for everything alcohol are 20% or more higher.

Had a rum and coke last night at a bar-rail rum, nothing fancy. $4.50. The same drink in my favorite bar (larger tumbler, too)- $2.00.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
And 6-pack's are a waste of money. Usually they're insanely priced compared to what you'd pay for an entire case of beer.
In PA, definitely. But in VA, the case is usually only a few bucks more than 4 six-packs.

And cases only work if everyone wants to drink the same thing all night. If you want a variety of beers, it's hard to buy by the case. Plus there's a big risk if you want to try something new you're not sure you'll like, and you buy a whole case of it.

This is a big reason why Dick Yuengling likes the beer distributor system. It keeps Pennsylvanians buying cases of what they know and makes it more expensive to try a six-pack of something new.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know where you guys are getting that MD prices are lower than PA prices. Maybe right across the Mason-Dixon but in SoMD, where I am, the prices for everything alcohol are 20% or more higher.

Had a rum and coke last night at a bar-rail rum, nothing fancy. $4.50. The same drink in my favorite bar (larger tumbler, too)- $2.00.
Bar prices are definitely cheaper in PA, but that's a market where the state allows a lot of competition. It's the retail market where PA residents suffer.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Bar prices are definitely cheaper in PA, but that's a market where the state allows a lot of competition. It's the retail market where PA residents suffer.

Retail's the same. Again, I'm 2 hours from the border so that may play into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania