Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
And 6-pack's are a waste of money. Usually they're insanely priced compared to what you'd pay for an entire case of beer.
In Pennsylvania, yes. But there are places -- Kentucky, for instance -- where you can get a six-pack of pretty decent (as in not Miller, Bud or Yuengling) beer for six or seven dollars. In Pennsylvania's overpriced restaurants and bars, that same sixer will cost you at least 10 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If you want a variety of beers, it's hard to buy by the case. Plus there's a big risk if you want to try something new you're not sure you'll like, and you buy a whole case of it.
I just stock up on a variety of six packs when I go out of state; I'd get bored with a case of one kind of beer. Some brewers have variety packs, so to speak, but the beer distributors really charge a premium for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In Pennsylvania's overpriced restaurants and bars, that same sixer will cost you at least 10 bucks.
It's not just bars, it's six pack shops too. As an example, Giant Eagle just introduced six packs in Western PA stores and a decent micro will fetch a $12 dollar price tag. Unfortunately, that's about a dollar less then smaller six pack shops, you just can't win.

Don't even get me started on 22 oz. bombers. I've seen a bottle of Duvel go for $16 dollars here when I got it for $7 in Jersey.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...you can get a six-pack of pretty decent (as in not Miller, Bud or Yuengling)...
I'm really hoping you're implying Yuengling is above "pretty decent," otherwise, go back to Ohio. Only time anyone pays attention to you is Election Day.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxons717 View Post
I'm really hoping you're implying Yuengling is above "pretty decent,"
Many people (myself included) do not think Yuengling is very good:

Yuengling Traditional Lager (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/yuengling-traditional-lager/884/ - broken link)

Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM

17 posts, read 33,508 times
i guess because drinking is just not that much oif a priority for many of us.. and thsoe who wanted to drink never seen tio have any probelme there are tons of beer distributors where the beer is cheap and l;iquor and wine prices are competitve with every other state as far as i know and there are people inthe southgern part of the atae who drive across the line to maryland because the booze is a bit cheaper if you are buiying a quantity

Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM

17 posts, read 33,508 times
when i used to ocasinally drink ber i liked yuengling and rolling rock
yuelging lager is /was very popular yuengling black ands tan was very good

Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Who cares about PA alcohol laws? If alcohol is that much a part of your life that PA's laws make you miserable, I think you might need a good 12-step program. I like beer, specifically craft beer and microbrews, and I have no problem buying beer here in PA. I can even go into Wegman's and buy 6 packs of a great selection of beer. I rarely buy more than a 6 pack, since I drink for quality rather than quantity.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
And actually, PA's beer laws have helped small businesses in the state. Since big box chains and supermarkets can't sell beer, unless like in the case of Wegmans, they are allowed to have a 6 pack shop separate from the rest of the supermarket. Cases of beer are strictly sold by locally-owned beer distributors. If they do away with PA's laws on beer sales and just start letting Wal-Mart sell it like in other states, many small locally-owned businesses will end up closing their doors. And with the Wal-Marts of the world controlling beer sales, we'll be stuck with a crappy selection of mass-produced goat urine from Miller, Bud, and Coors.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And actually, PA's beer laws have helped small businesses in the state. Since big box chains and supermarkets can't sell beer, unless like in the case of Wegmans, they are allowed to have a 6 pack shop separate from the rest of the supermarket. Cases of beer are strictly sold by locally-owned beer distributors. If they do away with PA's laws on beer sales and just start letting Wal-Mart sell it like in other states, many small locally-owned businesses will end up closing their doors. And with the Wal-Marts of the world controlling beer sales, we'll be stuck with a crappy selection of mass-produced goat urine from Miller, Bud, and Coors.
While I fully support local mom and pop 6 pack shops, keep in mind that they're selling you those micros and imports at nearly double the cost of neighboring states. Most of them have to due to PA taxes and laws, but others make out like absolute bandits exploiting people's lack of beer and beer price knowledge. Also, if laws were more lax, you could even use websites like BevMo for your obscure beer tastes and it STILL would be cheaper than what these stores are charging.

If you want a good example where beer is sold in accessible manner with great selection in a franchised store, look at Total Wine in the Virginia area.

Also, to say that people need a twelve step program because they don't want to be overcharged and inconvenienced by a self serving and overbearing government is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And actually, PA's beer laws have helped small businesses in the state. Since big box chains and supermarkets can't sell beer, unless like in the case of Wegmans, they are allowed to have a 6 pack shop separate from the rest of the supermarket.
Uh .... Wegman's is a big box chain supermarket.

Quote:
Cases of beer are strictly sold by locally-owned beer distributors. If they do away with PA's laws on beer sales and just start letting Wal-Mart sell it like in other states, many small locally-owned businesses will end up closing their doors. And with the Wal-Marts of the world controlling beer sales, we'll be stuck with a crappy selection of mass-produced goat urine from Miller, Bud, and Coors.
More unenlightened bullcrap. If you'd ever actually been to other states, you'd know that's not true. Locally owned liquor stores, wine boutiques, and beer stores and other specialty shops flourish everywhere. Here are a couple of my favorites:

The Party Source - Everything but the Guests!

dilly café - gourmet food & wine: eat, drink, shop, relax

Arrow Wine & Spirits, Dayton, Ohio

Map of Hyde Park Gourmet Food & Wine, 2707 Erie Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45208 on Cincinnati Citysearch

Village Cellars - Lebanon | Urbanspoon

I could add a bunch more, but you get the idea. Now, if these places can exist in the hinterlands like Ohio and Kentucky, surely the urbane folk of Pennsylvania could make a go at locally owned wine and beer stores as well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania