Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:19 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if this helps (the Wikipedia definition of coal seam fire): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_seam_fire
What surprised me is that they claim that the US has 100 such fires burning right now. They also think the number could be as high as 200 burning coal seams. They also claim that thousands are now burning worldwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
No, I'm asking you to back up your claim with data that contradicts the information I previously linked to.

If you don't want to, that's your choice.

But don't shift the burden of proof on my lap - that's weak...
What you linked to was a newspaper that quotes an opinion of some holdouts still living in the the town.

And that newspaper isn't local, they're from western PA, they are are considered fringe (example, to this day they still maintain an official from the Clinton Administration, Vincent Foster, was murdered by some high level conspiracy in a public park in Washington, DC), and they are financed by this guy. He publishes stuff with an agenda to stir up controversy.

> But don't shift the burden of proof on my lap - that's weak...
Re read post #33 above.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,905 times
whatever PeeAye - now you are starting nonsense - like libs who condemm Fox News and rightwads that condemm CNN and MSN...

you stated your opinion - not worth much more than the residents of Centralia without facts, which you still fail to produce....

I'm done with this thread - don't want to get wet from you whizzing into the wind.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
whatever PeeAye - now you are starting nonsense - like libs who condemm Fox News and rightwads that condemm CNN and MSN...

you stated your opinion - not worth much more than the residents of Centralia without facts, which you still fail to produce....

I'm done with this thread - don't want to get wet from you whizzing into the wind.
Anyone else want to argue about Centralia?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Have been to Centralia many times but did not know it is a common occurrence in the world of mining. In the wiki link it mentions Laurel Run fire in Luzerne County. Anyone knows about this?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I was up that way a few years ago and stopped to have another look at the area. I didn't see any smoke or steam that day.

Laurel Run

Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Anyone else want to argue about Centralia?
A very timely article in today's Wilkes-Barre Times Leader newspaper.

btw - (not a whacked out publication Pee-Aya)

Law firm sued over Centralia | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Law_firm_sued_over_Centralia_10-28-2010.html - broken link)

hmmm.

still waiting on your links.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Can't stay away?

I saw that. I'll wait to see how they prove in court "coal ... worth billions of dollars".

This is what, the third or fourth such court case. None of which have gotten anywhere. What does that tell you?

Quote:
still waiting on your links.
Re read post #33 above.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was up that way a few years ago and stopped to have another look at the area. I didn't see any smoke or steam that day.

Laurel Run
If you go up giants despair where they have the race there's one section about half way up the hill on one of the corners that will rarely have any snow near the road. It's pretty easy to spot at any time because there is little vegetation in that area. I've been up and down that road probably thousands of times and I don't ever recall seeing any steam or gases. I believe you have to travel off the road to get to the main fire area.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times
Any new info/updates on the happenings in Centralia? I would still like to visit there sometime this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania