Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

I have really enjoyed riding the country, all along Rt. 6, Rt. 320 through State College then all the way to St. Marys and points in between. Gorgeous roads for riding. I then wondered wouldn't it be nice if I could actually wake up in the morning and just be there. May be renting a small place for a few months in the summer. So here would you like to spend some of your free time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:52 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
I lived in Coudersport for a year when I was a kid, it is a beautiful, very rural area in the mountains, lots of deer and a great place for outdoorsy types. Wellsboro is another beautiful small town along rt. 6, very scenic, cute downtown. Look into those two towns.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Smethport or surrounding environs. Allegheny National Forest, Clarion River.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
We keep thinking how neat it would be to drive U.S. 6 on our way to Erie ... but then we think about how long it already takes to get there. It's definitely a part of the state I'd like to explore more closely.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
North central PA is the cat's arse for me. Drove through there last October and was blown away, and I'm accustomed to seeing great foliage. A cabin along Pine Creek would be ideal for me.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Just got back from a ride through Pottsville and surroundings. Was not disappointed, to say the least. Looked up Clarion River. Don't know who I could have missed it. Looks gorgeous.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
I was born in SE PA, but spent many a summer and hunting season in Sullivan County. It is a place I would consider retiring too.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
I often thought of renting a place for the summer in Coudersport. Note that I am saying in town, not out of town, I'd want the ability to walk to some of the restaurants and retail in the town. Being a part of life there, walking or biking along the leafy, tree lined streets and the well-kept houses would inspiring. And then have quick access to all the outdoor activities the area has to offer.

Second choice would be somewhere in Galeton. Preferably with a view of the lake in center of town. It would be a slightly slower pace than Coudersport.

Third choice would be State College.

I'd personally rule out Wellsboro. It's got the nice houses on quiet, leafy, tree lined streets with lots set back from the street. An thers's no cookie cutter pattern to the homes or home construction. But the main street is tilted toward being a little too touristy. That is not because of the retail or the nature of the town, they have managed to do quite a good job to keep it sort of authentic. It's because of all the touristy people you encounter walking around in the two or three block downtown area.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I'd personally rule out Wellsboro. It's got the nice houses on quiet, leafy, tree lined streets with lots set back from the street. An thers's no cookie cutter pattern to the homes or home construction. But the main street is tilted toward being a little too touristy. That is not because of the retail or the nature of the town, they have managed to do quite a good job to keep it sort of authentic. It's because of all the touristy people you encounter walking around in the two or three block downtown area.
The crowds (applying local standards) are pretty much only on weekends with some Friday bleedover around, say, the Laurel Festival and the rally. Midweek seems to be just the locals. Seems to me there's just a little more to walk to in Wellsboro than there is in Coudersport or especially Galeton, most likely because of having more tourists.

Rentals have been affected by the gas rush, probably some of the locals are about ready to import Jimmy McMillan whom they probably saw on the Elmira TV.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
If you just want to spend time, Wellsboro would be really good. Used to live there so I don't think of it as a vacation place. Retiring soon and will look into Coudersport and Elkland. Rte would be a great ride but you might want to take a wkend and sleepover someplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania