Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 65,648 times

Advertisements

We may be working at HACC Lancaster campus and are wondering about which direction to look in for a house. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 PM

70 posts, read 128,173 times
Search for "Lancaster" in this forum for plenty of into. I'm too sick of the subject to recap the good, bad and ugly [yeah, there's a lot of ugly ]

Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 65,648 times
Default Lancaster

Thank you for your reply mjk1093. I just finished going through every page and thread re: Lancaster.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:50 AM

221 posts, read 993,946 times
Having lived other places in this country, my experience has been that it is a very unwelcoming area to those who were not born and raised here. If you cannot say that your great-great-grandparents worshipped at the local Mennonite church- you are looked upon unfavorably. But- having friendly, kind, helpful neighbors may not be a value to you. Lots of things to do. Traffic is a bit of a headache, b/c the roads have NOT kept up with population. Lancaster is close to Philly, the Jersey shore, Baltimore, NYC. It is a relatively safe place to raise a family, and the public schools are good. The city is heavily populated by Latino/Hispanic folks, which gives it a different flavor. Three miles away in any direction- it's rural and white.

My sister just bought a little house in the city for $65,000- it's adorable, but you need to like city living for that.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 63,170 times
MJK had a good suggestion and it appears as though you took it. Any clarifications desired? It would be interesting to hear from you again and to know what your final thoughts are about re-locating after you have read all the posts on Lancaster. HACC is east of the city so you may desire to look that way for housing if you don't like commutes. South, north and east of HACC would all be rural, although not immediately so -- especially just east of there due to the tourist traffic associated with the Route 30 strip- and outlet- malls as well as tourist traffic affiliated with the nearby commercialized Amish attractions and with Strasburg. Of course, you may be a city type. I know folks who live in Lancaster and love it. It's ultimately affordable with lots to do and some safe areas do indeed exist. If you're a city person or cost is a concern and therefore you have to look to the city, you'd probably be better off seeking out those areas immediately surrounding Franklin Marshall College.

Last edited by garriekeyman; 09-02-2006 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: edited for typos

Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 PM

40 posts, read 225,875 times
Lancaster is a good community. I grew up in Millersville, lived in Lock Haven, Glasgow Scotland and currently live in North Philadelphia. By far, Lancaster is the best place to live out of all of them. wealth inequality is not a major problem like it is in Philadelphia. It is large enough that it has all the ammenities you may need. It offers a stable place to raise a children and have a family.

The down side to Lancaster is that it's nightlife is a little weak, however that's improving. Some places in the county may be a little too conservative meaning that they don't look favorably on outsiders... however, if you live in the city or any of the suburbs immediately surrounding the city this won't be a problem.

Don't let all of the angry Liberals scare you off. The people here are much nicer than the people I've met in Philly over the past 3 years.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 AM

70 posts, read 128,173 times
Quote:
Don't let all of the angry Liberals scare you off. The people here are much nicer than the people I've met in Philly over the past 3 years.
Hey, who you callin' a liberal? Actually I'm pretty conservative on a lot of issues but people in Lancaster still scared the heck out of me. One guy told me he couldn't wait for nuclear war so Jesus would come back. Of course, there's nuts everywhere, but the general tone down there was sort of, um... militant.

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2006 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 10-25-2006, 07:56 PM

40 posts, read 225,875 times
Militant as in the pacifist Mennonites, Amish and Bretheran who are prevelant throughout the County are are pacifists?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisay View Post
Lancaster is populated by stupid people. The "natives" for the most part tend to think if you are not like them i.e. German, jesus freak moron , you are not welcome.
I have lived in California, Washington ,Europe and India but i have never came across such a rude,stupid snobbish bunch before.
Why pull up an old post just to bash us natives? While I respect the opinions of all posters you should at least back up your claims with examples. Sorry you had a bad experience and best of luck on your move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania