Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 AM

322 posts, read 299,712 times

Advertisements

i hate them there edjikits with there fansy shamncy edikations all acktin better then me. gets on outahere. wes dont need the likes of ya all!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot032 View Post
Yes ma'am! We have a winner! DING DING DING!

And I can tell you, oktaren, Meadville might be slightly safer than Pittsburgh (when it comes to serious crimes, such as murder and the like) but it's overcrowded, no jobs, plenty of petty crimes, robberies, etc because everybody wants, but can't have. And they can't have because there's no work.

Although, Meadville is slowly becoming more and more dangerous. There have been drive-by shootings in the projects (which are located on one of the main drags, no less...) there have been murders (in broad daylight, with a gun!), there are drugs, etc. It's becoming more and more dangerous, and the cops are idiots. Pure and simple.

Another problem is, Meadville is definitely backwards in it's thinking. It's still a predominately white community (even more so during the '80s and early '90s) and African Americans weren't always met with the warmest of welcomes (although the town has become more receptive as time went on. But only out of "Well, what can we do about it? We're stuck with them." mentality.)

Now, Meadville has a number of Mexican/Hispanic and Middle Eastern residents moving in and while it hasn't hit the paper, it's definitely been word of mouth. People (Black and White) want them all gone, in a heart beat.

I'll admit, it's a little frightening to walk into Wal-Mart and see 10 or so Mexicans standing around speaking in Spanish (can't even bring themselves to speak a lick of English, which is another barrier) and all they do is stare at you walking by...with the darkest of stares. The management even asked a group of them to leave the store one afternoon because they were bothering the customers. (Normally, I'd say it was a racism thing, because even I'm not so stupid that I don't see it, but this time it really was the standing around/fright issue.)

Not to mention, my boss at Sheetz was threatened by one of the owners of the Mexican restaurant with a gun, and he kept pacing around the store's parking lot in his SUV, until the cops were called and his concealed weapon got him arrested. (I kid you not!)

The crime's gotten worse, and there's no room for all these people in Meadville. Anyone with any sense has already left and more are willing to do so, soon, it'll be nothing but troublemakers (White, Black, Mexican, whatever, not just one race or the other) left in the town and it'll decay even more than it has.

Pittsburgh is at least spread out, it's more diverse and as such, the people are more apt to handle it. Far more job opportunities (for sure), and safe sections of town (that you *know* are safe). Meadville's a mixed bag anymore. Street corners are becoming dangerous anymore (that's where the midday shooting occurred.)

Point is, no one feels comfortable with the other races, no jobs, lots of drug related crime, violence, bad weather, bad people (in general), and a crappy hospital. So...why would anyone want to move *IN* to the town??
People said the same thing about eastern europeans at the beginning of the 19th century, i think everything worked out ok.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,308,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
i hate them there edjikits with there fansy shamncy edikations all acktin better then me. gets on outahere. wes dont need the likes of ya all!
I'm glad you feel so compelled to save rural PA from itself. It's a travesty to have farmland that hasn't been turned into a 4 acre lawn.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:51 AM

24 posts, read 132,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
My guess is the license plate was the filmmakers' attempt at irony.

Re: the "inferiority complex" theory, W. Pennsylvanians have always made fun of West Viriginia, even back when the economy in W PA was hot (yes, that was the case at one time), and also made fun of Ohio as being a farmer state. Not everyone, of course, but plenty of them, did this.
Oh believe me, Western PA (and it's residents) have nothing to be proud of. They should be fully committed to feeling inferior to the states around them. (Western NY, Eastern Ohio, Northern West Virginia...)

West Virginia has a legitimate reason to be as depressed as it is. The economy is the worst in the entire nation.

Ohio is progressive and looks like it might have a future (technology and medical for sure).

New York, I can't comment on really, but based on what I've seen during my several trips there...they're on the ball a bit more than we are here in Western PA.

Believe me, I find nothing in this part of the state to consider pride-worthy.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:42 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,617,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot032 View Post
Oh believe me, Western PA (and it's residents) have nothing to be proud of. They should be fully committed to feeling inferior to the states around them. (Western NY, Eastern Ohio, Northern West Virginia...)

West Virginia has a legitimate reason to be as depressed as it is. The economy is the worst in the entire nation.

Ohio is progressive and looks like it might have a future (technology and medical for sure).

New York, I can't comment on really, but based on what I've seen during my several trips there...they're on the ball a bit more than we are here in Western PA.

Believe me, I find nothing in this part of the state to consider pride-worthy.
I don't know if you've noticed, but actually eastern Ohio's economy is actually doing worse then western PA's in terms of job growth.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I don't know if you've noticed, but actually eastern Ohio's economy is actually doing worse then western PA's in terms of job growth.
The economy's bad all over. Some areas less than others, but it's nationwide. However, at least you could find minimum wage jobs over the border in Ohio. (Youngstown, etc) There are places here in Western PA that won't even look at your application.

All in all, I'd leave here if I could.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
Default I was never racist.... until ...

I moved to PA. I'm in a burb close to Philly. Always lived in a diverse place so I thought it would be no different here. Was I wrong. BLack people NEEd to GET MOVING! Seriously, they cross the street holding their nuts and looking at you like "wat you looking at boo I's shoot u azz" They invade an area and it will be all cute and pretty and BAM a couple years later it looks like complete hell. I used to feel bad but I'm seeing the light. These people are uneducated fools. I can't wait to move back home. Philly... you can have your ignorant white people did it all to us black people... I don't want them A N Y M O R E!!!! Boy, that felt nice

Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 AM

22 posts, read 86,783 times
Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions about Pennsylvania, good or bad.

But, I think all of you PA boosters tend to look at PA through rose-colored glasses. I'm guessing most of you are older and have been here most of if not all of your lives and remember PA when it was an industrial powerhouse and thriving economically. Me, all I remember from PA is people losing their jobs and being destitute as a result of the steel crunch.

That is one of the reasons why I don't care for PA. All of the economical despair and depression. I also feel that people here in general have a chip on their shoulder a mile wide for various reasons. It seems like plenty of people in PA are constantly trying to prove how tough and hard they are. For example, it seems this state has your stereotypical blue-collar tough guy construction workers, steel workers, truckers, factory workers, etc.. It's not just their job, it's their whole lifestyle. They can't turn it off when they leave the factory, mill, etc.. That's what I meant earlier by the "industrial laborers who like to get wasted and start barfights". They can't leave the macho behavior, dirty jokes, aggression, etc. behind at the factory, mill, etc..

Now, I don't think EVERYONE in PA is rude. I have met plenty of good decent people here while I've lived here. I also know that there are rude people anywhere you go. That's life. But, my experiences with rude people have been mostly from here in PA. As previously stated, I've been around this country quite a bit, and from what I see, the people of PA are generally different from most. And it's not a good different.

I try my best to treat people the way I want to be treated. It may not sound that way due to my screen name and my posts here. I'm just stating my opinion, completely and honestly, like all of you. The people here just seem to be really jaded and calloused to the point where it's better just to steer clear of them.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions about Pennsylvania, good or bad.

But, I think all of you PA boosters tend to look at PA through rose-colored glasses. I'm guessing most of you are older and have been here most of if not all of your lives and remember PA when it was an industrial powerhouse and thriving economically. Me, all I remember from PA is people losing their jobs and being destitute as a result of the steel crunch.

That is one of the reasons why I don't care for PA. All of the economical despair and depression. I also feel that people here in general have a chip on their shoulder a mile wide for various reasons. It seems like plenty of people in PA are constantly trying to prove how tough and hard they are. For example, it seems this state has your stereotypical blue-collar tough guy construction workers, steel workers, truckers, factory workers, etc.. It's not just their job, it's their whole lifestyle. They can't turn it off when they leave the factory, mill, etc.. That's what I meant earlier by the "industrial laborers who like to get wasted and start barfights". They can't leave the macho behavior, dirty jokes, aggression, etc. behind at the factory, mill, etc..

Now, I don't think EVERYONE in PA is rude. I have met plenty of good decent people here while I've lived here. I also know that there are rude people anywhere you go. That's life. But, my experiences with rude people have been mostly from here in PA. As previously stated, I've been around this country quite a bit, and from what I see, the people of PA are generally different from most. And it's not a good different.

I try my best to treat people the way I want to be treated. It may not sound that way due to my screen name and my posts here. I'm just stating my opinion, completely and honestly, like all of you. The people here just seem to be really jaded and calloused to the point where it's better just to steer clear of them.
I'm a PA resident and I have to say...I agree with all of this. Thank you.

I like you, stick around. lol

Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post

I suppose I'm among those to be referred to as a "PA Booster," but I'm hardly old. I'm a young adult in college who left my home state, but I can't wait to get back, because I took for granted exactly the same thing you're criticizing -- the people. Not because Pennsylvanians can't be rude, not because Pennsylvanians won't cut you off in traffic, not because Pennsylvanians won't **** and moan 'til they're blue in the face, but because Pennsylvanians some of the most GENUINE people you will ever meet. What you see is what you get, and you don't find that in many places - and when you're friends with a Pennsylvanian, you've got a friend for life, and I firmly believe that (Don't you miss that motto on the old license plate? ). I've done my fair share of traveling and met people from all over the country and the world (especially attending a university from which students around the world matriculate), and it's funny - I can always tell when someone is from PA. They have this down-to-earth, open up to you in a second attitude that you can't mistake. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I agree - PA'ns are a different breed, except I think it's a GOOD kind of different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania