Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepburngal View Post
Okay, as an "out-of-stater" who just moved to PA about 8 months ago and is currently about to have a nervous breakdown because of the treatment I have received during my time here, I had to respond.

There are many things that you can debate, such as people's personal opinions, ideas, etc. However, fact is fact. And the fact is, the only things I have experienced in PA are rude, impolite, unmannered citizens. Everyone has chips on their shoulders and I have NEVER seen so much bitterness in my life. Really? Get over yourselves. And I can back THESE things up with fact.

My license plate was not changed for several months after moving. On more occasions than I can count, I had people refer to me as "the foreigner," all while pointing at my license plate, and accused of trying to "take over" the great state of PA.

I hold two college degrees but have had a HORRIBLE time finding a job. When I called two places back regarding secretarial positions, I was met with nothing but attitude and the response that "We hire REAL people who have kids to feed, not spoiled brats who had the luxury of going to college and just need spending money." Other employers have told me that they "only hire local students, not out-of-towners who can get jobs anywhere" or that their cousin, in-law, or high school football buddy has been promised the job. I finally registered with two employment agencies, one of which told me to get a welding degree and the other said "your degrees don't matter here."

I worked as a temp at a call center for a local non-profit recruiting donors, and one customer heard my non-PA accent, asked where I was from, and said, "We don't do that charity crap here in Pennsylvania" and hung up. When I tried to transfer my voter registration, I was told to "think about it some more" because they don't like "people who haven't lived here at least 25 years voting for their offices."

I have been ridiculed, pointed at, ignored, and I've about had it up to here. No one says "hello," "Please," or "Thank you," let alone any other basic niceties. This is by far the rudest place I have ever lived (and I have lived in almost half of the states in the country plus two other countries!). They are all in a bubble and when all this is pointed out, they just turn it around and get defensive instead of seeing the problem.

And one more thing? Just because my accent is different than yours DOES NOT mean that I'm some puppet for you to play with. If ONE MORE PERSON asks me to "Say something, it sounds so cute!" I swear to God I'm going to explode. I'm NOT a circus act!!!
Where's your accent from and where in PA do you live?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:53 AM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave53 View Post
Hmmmmm, sounds to me like you just decribed all the other 49 states too.
From your attitude I can see why most people would be rude to you. I've lived here all 53 of my years and have drove tractor trailer for 32 years and have seen and been in more places of this great country then you'll ever dream of seeing. For the most part, people I've meet anywhere in the country all seemed very nice and friendy toward me and it's no different here in Pa. If you haven't noticed by now, most people will treat you the same way you treat them. So if you keep coming here and bad mouthing Pa. you can expect to be treated rude. If thats not good enough for ya there's 49 other state forums you can post on.
I agree Dave, I'm PA born and bred but, I have traveled all over the US and even lived a few other places. I agree, it is all in the attitude that you bring with you. While I have met some rude people in my travels, most are friendly and helpful.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:01 PM

214 posts, read 241,522 times
I am going to try my best to sound like most ignorant idiot trolls on this board. Here goes:

I just moved into the Pittsburg area. I hate it. Everybody is rude to me. I went in to a store and said, "hey yinzer hick, stop drinkin that I.C. light and come serve me, I am better then you you hillbilly S.O.B." He looked at me and gave me such a rude look. I can't believe all these people and how rude they are. They arn't highscale either like in the Hamptons. I parked my car infront of the mall yesterday, and when I came out the Valet parked it in the impound! Pittsburgh has no economy. I don't read so I never noticed the articles that ever mention how engineering jobs, computer science job, and health industry jobs are needed more then ever here. I always state that Pittsburgh is never going anywhere, but I am not smart enough to notice the steel industry only shut down 25 years ago. Then looking at this point after that, this dirty dead town has already put up the most Green Leed designed buildings in the country, turned around its economy to a white collar tech service faster then ever, and tore down all the old steel mill areas already and have green office and retail space in their place. I am to dumb to see that. I am also just a complaining SOB that takes all my personal problems out on other people, so I never notice that is the reason they hate me and treat me rudely. I come here to this hick state and complain that all the food, people, and things are better where I come from. Maybe I will move to Phoenix.......... I like urban sprawl bland cities like that!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
I parked my car infront of the mall yesterday, and when I came out the Valet parked it in the impound!
Like, oh ma gawd! I like, had that happen to me too!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Why would anyone take so much energy, time, and strain to put down a whole state for so long? The Hate Pa poster sounds like a woman scorned, a divorcee who can't forget her cheating man, a person who can't hack it...?
Really, I grew up in PA, miss it terribly, and know it has its chinks, quirks, and unpleasant folks mixed in with the salt of the earth, hardworking, clean living, smart, pragmatic, wonderful people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I still visit often and never met the type of individuals the Hater talks about. Surely they exist-I believe him/her-but as someone else said, "What kind of people are you hanging out with"? Maybe you need to get a better class of acquaintances rather than making blanket jibes at an entire state on a forum for people who are inquiring about the place. I think Pa folks should counter this kind of post since our state deserves a fair reputation. Constuctive, sincere criticism and negative things to consider are, of course, useful and welcome.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:26 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Why would anyone take so much energy, time, and strain to put down a whole state for so long? The Hate Pa poster sounds like a woman scorned, a divorcee who can't forget her cheating man, a person who can't hack it...?
Really, I grew up in PA, miss it terribly, and know it has its chinks, quirks, and unpleasant folks mixed in with the salt of the earth, hardworking, clean living, smart, pragmatic, wonderful people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I still visit often and never met the type of individuals the Hater talks about. Surely they exist-I believe him/her-but as someone else said, "What kind of people are you hanging out with"? Maybe you need to get a better class of acquaintances rather than making blanket jibes at an entire state on a forum for people who are inquiring about the place. I think Pa folks should counter this kind of post since our state deserves a fair reputation. Constuctive, sincere criticism and negative things to consider are, of course, useful and welcome.
Well said, and I agree wholeheartedly. Some people, however, will just selectively pass by this post and misuse this forum to vent and make themselves feel better.

It's a simple philosophy, folks. Treat others how you'd like to be treated, and it will be MUCH harder for people to act "rude" towards you -- and that is something you can live by everywhere.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 PM

22 posts, read 70,629 times
Default outsider looking in

I'm not from PA, but am not foreign to being a foreigner in a strange land. from nj, moved to the mountains of west virginia.
My attitude towards those around me determines theirs in return. if you are walking around with a chip, looking for any sort of confrontation, it will be there. So what people don't drop to their knees thanking God you are now their neighbor, be yourself, get involved with groups that have same interests, ask your local neighbors for help , recommendations, step out of your comfort zone and you be the one to reach out.
That is my 2 cents worth as my grandmother would say.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 22,062 times
Default PA is Great

I love PA,the wayne county fair.Or the july3rd fireworks display in honesdale park.Then the 4th of july lake wallenpaupack display(rained out 1 day)no big
deal.People love that popcorn there was a half hour line I said oh boy the sausage and peppers must be packed,no got ther and nobody was there and i bought heros for everybody.But my favorite its the chocholate covered cheesecake,iced cold.Oh man I'm getting hungry,bye,LOL.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 22,062 times
Originally from New York the first thing I noticed there was no yelling in stores no people driving with their cells.Everybody's so nice once I became a regular customer,I was always given something thrown in.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
Whenever you point a finger theres at least three pointing back at you. Thats why it's troublesome to bring up a topic like this.
Those who may notice "rude, non-attentive," behaviors when seeking the most common form of customer service in Pa. are looking around to see if they are viewing reality correctly.
Is it me or does anyone else experience this?

All one has to do is look at the history of this site. Many topic's have covered subjects of this"sort" & question's in relation to living in Pa.

Those who live here and don't see it are usually those who have NEVER lived anywhere else. And if they have, it wasn't for long. At the most a few weeks vacation was enough to send them home happy to be back.

And lets face it PA is so beautiful! It's worth what you have to grow through to live here....

Nothing changes if you don't, that's true enough. But an outsider has a hard row to tow in Pa.

Having spent years living in other area's across this beautiful land we call the USA I have learned many "Native" cultures and their many "unspoken" ways.

Here in Pa, (my place of birth I may add), I have found that a passive approach is most detrimental to the "locals" estimation of "ones" mental ability.

There is no such thing as "fair" play. The very idea is to open the field for every trick in the book!

I don't understand the reason behind the "passive aggressive" behaviors of the "Pa" natives other then to serve some need/desire to kick someone when their down. A bully at best, down right mean at times.

Thing is; no one needs another to verify their personal "right" for "being".
Those who derive their pleasure by giving you a hard time are in pain. Perhaps their suffering is so great they must pass it on.

Muse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania