Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM

270 posts, read 732,308 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Elmira, NY. He will be close enough to the PA border that we are considering houses in both states. Which state is better to live in as far as community, resources, taxes, etc?

Cross-posting to the NY thread as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Taxes are definitely lower in PA but so is the level of services. Most side roads are gravel in PA, most of the schools in the immediate border area rank less well on the ranking websites.

Another thing to consider around Elmira is that the PA areas are more rural/small town, if you like living in typical suburban subdivisions or in a walk-to-services area, the nearby PA areas don't offer those.

Over the PA border is further from larger stores until you get out to Sayre or Mansfield, and even then the store selection is more limited than around Horseheads/Big Flats. No sales tax on clothing and lower sales tax rates on everything else in PA is not as much a factor in store location as where the population is, which historically has been on the NY side.

PA septic rules are much tougher, it may be more difficult to buy and build in PA as a result. PA also has more medieval alcohol laws although scofflaws typically just buy over the NY border.

The Marcellus Shale gas drilling has affected land prices in the area especially on the PA side where drilling is active. Don't worry, it will be coming to NY soon enough.

Wellsboro is one PA town that has invested more in its schools and keeps cutesy stores in its downtown for retirees and tourists. It can get to be a long drive from Elmira depending on the worksite location. The community has a lot of volunteer spirit.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
We lived in upstate NY, not too far from Elmira and it was very rural. We lived there for four years in two different locations and both houses were on dirt roads with septic systems. There were no developments to speak of near either of the places we lived. I think both area's would be quite similar regarding topography and demographics. The biggest expense irritation was NYS taxes, but perhaps the houses are less expensive and that would even out.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
never met anyone who didn't like wellsboro. athens and sayre appear to be the closest actual towns in PA

Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 AM

270 posts, read 732,308 times
Thanks for the input. I've only had one response in the New York forum (and not surprisingly, it was a vote for NY...lol).

A few things about us...

We are a conservative homeschooling family. I personally don't feel any of the public (and most of the private) schools in any location are "great." Which is a big reason we homeschool. So area schools is not a concern here.

Our ideal home would be located in a wooded town, but less than 15 minutes from the big box stores. Because we are a single income family (because we homeschool), we are also "low-income" and really rely on Super Wal-Mart to help meet our families grocery needs. We actually have found a home like this in Corning and if it's available when this job finally comes through, it will be our top choice. Otherwise...we're not so sure.

We don't mind neighbors...but we would prefer to stay away from dense neighborhoods with small little yards.

Our children are young...the oldest will be five in a few weeks...then we have a 4 yr old, a 2 1/2 yr old and a 19 month old.

Will we pay more in income taxes working in one state and living in another?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM

108 posts, read 254,914 times
Default Wellsboro and Mansfield

According to a recent newspaper article, taxes are going up in Wellsboro. There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter near Mansfield. I live south of that area, in Williamsport, and I've been trying to find an excuse the visit these towns. The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania and the zoo Animaland may be worth a trip. Also I think the Tioga Railroad runs an occasional excursion train.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Unless you plan to stay in the same place forever, you should probably take the local schools into account, if only for re-sale value. Sounds like you are looking at the same area where we once lived. We had some awfully long winters!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
If you are looking to the southwest to Tioga County (PA), Northern Tioga SD has typically lower taxes than Wellsboro Area or Southern Tioga.

Millerton is the nearest hamlet to Elmira that's in NTSD, going out 14 then 328, and it has town sewer. It will be more like 25 minutes from there to Wal-Mart in Mansfield though.

The town (borough) of Tioga in NTSD has some modest homes and a few nicer ones, and only 15 minutes on the expressway to Wal-Mart. Municipal water and sewer in the borough limits, or not in the otherwise indistinguishable area outside. To Elmira from Tioga you have a choice of the 14-328 route or 15-86.

The towns along PA 49 are cheaper than Wellsboro, especially further west you go. They're also that much further from shopping.

PA, especially the Northern Tier, is politically more conservative than NY overall. As for friendliness to homeschooling, I understand there are organizations specific to that purpose who will help you navigate the maze of rules in either state, that's not something I have direct experience with.

Corning City SD has very high taxes. Steuben County generally came in at 3rd in the nation recently for property tax levels relative to home value. Corning has pretty good schools but since you're homeschooling on a budget there might be better options, other things being equal. Corning city lots tend to be a little smaller than in Elmira, or at least so it seems.

I'm not as familiar with the relative merits of going southeast into Bradford County. For some reason I always liked Towanda better than the Sayre/Athens "The Valley" area although The Valley has expressway all the way to Elmira and Towanda adds sometimes winter-dicey two-lane US 220 and speed traps too.

I think a poster here might be able to add more about Troy, it seems to have nice homes and community spirit, don't know about the taxes. I've had positive dealings in the past with local officials in Canton but not sure that's worth driving that far away.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
good schools add to the purchase price so it doesnt make you money on a sale. money is made if scools improve and lost if they decline

Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 PM

The reason to look for a house in a good school district, even if you don't plan to use them, is that other people that DO care about schools will not buy a house in a bad school district. Since the majority of people that move have children and care about the districts, you would be cutting out the mainstream of people even looking if you don't take that into consideration. Also, just because you are homeschooling one child now does not mean that you may not change your mind in the future. In our area, it's not uncommon to home school children until middle school, just for middle school or even just a year or two.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania