Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2006, 05:06 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with this area of the Pocono Mts? My first concern is, as always, the weather. Interestred in lower humidity and milder summer temperatures than the Philly area. Properties seem to be very reasonable - probably because Carbon County isn't as populated with transplanted New Yorkers than some of the other mountain areas, and this drives up the prices. NOT interested in gated, cookie-cutter communities. Is it still possible to find the individual, stand-alone home? Any input would be appreciated. Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 04:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Actually, you pretty much answered your own questions! LOL! ;o) The climate in Carbon County is less humid and cooler than Philadelphia---A blessing in the summer but a beast in winter. Real estate is indeed very reasonable in Carbon County, as the commute from communities here to NYC or Philly for work is a bit extreme. It's feasible to commute to the Lehigh Valley from southern areas of the county, such as Palmerton or Lehighton, but overall the county still retains its "Mayberry" charm.

Jim Thorpe is a favorite weekend vacation destination for many in the Tri-State Area due to its wonderful mountain biking and nearby whitewater rafting opportunities, as well as its quaint Main Street (or "Broadway") in this case, and scenic location among the mountains. Lehighton, Nesquehoning, Weatherly, and Palmerton are the other four primary "cities" in Carbon County, even though all four don't offer much in the way of variety---A few churches, mom-and-pop shops, gas stations, banks, etc. Lake Harmony, in the extreme northern part of the county, is becoming "Poconized" as some of the NY transplants are spilling over from Monroe County into the communities surrounding Big Boulder, Jack Frost, and Split Rock resorts.

Yes, you CAN still find great homes in this area at a reasonable price OUTSIDE of "gated communities." Most will be located right in the heart of Weatherly, Palmerton, Jim Thorpe, Lehighton, and Nesquehoning, and most would offer small lots with no off-street parking, a price tag of $100,000 or less, and convenience to parks, schools, shopping, etc. Crime truly isn't much of an issue in Carbon County---There was just a murder the other day in Lehighton where a man was killed on his parents' doorstep, but this stemmed from a dispute---NOT from some sort of random act.

To give you an idea of Carbon County, think of the New Hope area of Bucks County BEFORE the "big money" moved in. Residents of Carbon County have seen how horrible living in Monroe County has become over the past few decades with sprawl, traffic, crime, school overcrowding, etc., so expect locals here to be a bit "suspicious" first about you if you decide to relocate here. Eventually, as in ANY area, people WILL warm up to you and embrace you into their close-knit neighborhoods, but it will take a little while, especially in these older, blue-collar communities.

Carbon County offers "small-town living" at its finest while still being near enough to the Lehigh Valley, New Jersey, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for urban conveniences such as concerts, clubs, minor-league sporting events, malls, etc.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:54 PM

MANY thanks, Scranton, for that wealth of information; VERY much appreciated! One just can't get an objective view of a place by reading the accolades posted by Chambers of Commerce, whereby everything sounds like Wonderland.

I thought, perhaps, that this fall I'd cruised around for a weekend or even mid-week. If I find it to my liking, I may purchase a smallish second home - a place to escape to with the big lugs (pooches) from time to time. I can't make a full move yet due to responsibilities here. But I wouldn't even bother with a visit if the weather were not what I desired. I love the cold and can tolerate heat if the humidity is low.

Sounds like a great place - right up my alley! Thanks again! Sandy

Old 08-19-2006, 07:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Well, not so fast Sandy! LOL! The humidity here is lower than it is in the Philadelphia area, but there still CAN be humid summer weather. Being that Carbon County isn't near any major metropolitan areas, that "urban greenhouse effect" that usually raises temperatures several degrees isn't present here. The county is also a good haul from the ocean, so that also has more of a "moderating" effect for the humidity. However, if you were looking for "low humidity" in general, then I'd have to recommend looking even FURTHER to the north, perhaps in the Adirondacks of Upstate NY.

The past few weeks here have been almost picture-perfect---A high of around 80 everyday with abundant sunshine and dewpoints in the low 50s accompanied by an occasional light breeze. (You can tell this weather has been having a positive effect because my customers have been much friendlier and more patient lately...LOL!) However, about a month ago we had a stretch of three days with heat indices around 100 (as did the entire East Coast). Much of our summer tends to be around 80 degrees with dew points near 60 and a breeze of 5-10 miles per hour, which should suit you quite well. However, a three-day stretch like we had last month will send you (and your canines) rushing to the public pool in quite a hurry! LOL!

Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
The past few weeks here have been almost picture-perfect---A high of around 80 everyday with abundant sunshine and dewpoints in the low 50s accompanied by an occasional light breeze. (You can tell this weather has been having a positive effect because my customers have been much friendlier and more patient lately...LOL!) However, about a month ago we had a stretch of three days with heat indices around 100 (as did the entire East Coast). Much of our summer tends to be around 80 degrees with dew points near 60 and a breeze of 5-10 miles per hour, which should suit you quite well. However, a three-day stretch like we had last month will send you (and your canines) rushing to the public pool in quite a hurry! LOL!
I hear ya, Scranton - LOL! I think the entire East Coast went through an unusually bad several days of heat and humidity. It was unbearable where I am - even the air conditioners were sweating! But from your description, your area sounds much better than here in the summers, and a great place to escape to.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:15 PM

98 posts, read 434,325 times
Default Carbon Native

I am from Carbon County and live just outside Jim Thorpe in the county.

You can get older homes in the county below $50,000 and these would be in town. Parking would be street parking.

There still is a lot of very very affordable homes here .

Actually my husband and I were looking to moveout of state because Real Estate Taxes are soooo high! But since your from Pa your use to that!

School Taxes are very high and have no regulating- so they seem to have free rein to increase them every year(The School Districts are the Problem). I wish my Home increased in Value Equal to how fast my taxes have increased in the past 10 years( the have gone up 55%). We built our home for $155,000 and pay over $5,000 in Real Estate taxes . No our home have not gone up in value 55%- if it did I would sell tomorrow and get out of here!

Weather wise it varies- we had a Hot summer- heavy rains that caused flooding in parts(so be carefull were you buy).

Winter weather: We live in the country and are use to power outages. We had a bad one a few years ago from an ice storm so have back up heating and power if your staying for the winter months.

People are friendly but are not crazy about outsiders- that is because they have brought crime here. NO not much but we are getting more and more problems with DRUGS now. Every week on the local news there is an account of arrests or drug busts. The small town Police do try though and they know everyone and what is going on! So do all your neighbors- people are natually nosey here and they gossip and know what you do when you go out and who you have been out with.

That is normal for small towns. Now if your looking up by Big Boulder, Towenmensing Trails etc- that is all NJ, Ny, and Philly People. The rest of Carbon County is different from that area- it is slow pace- not much in shopping(Walmart in Lehighton) but you have a quiet lifestyle outside the city.

I live closer to the old coal towns- homes are very cheap and it is filled with Elderly who are poor and live on low Social Security checks. Here you can find homes very cheap but they are nothing to talk about. Remember it's old coal towns(Lansford,Nesquehoning and parts of Jim Thorpe). Little old ladies still lose their homes to Tax Sales from the school district. Just not a nice thing to see.

I am sorry I sound negative- I have been here for 40 years and yes it looks Mayberry but it was a better Mayberry 25 years ago. Now some of the towns how turned into Slums(in my view).

Nice places to live- Beltzsville in Lehighton. Nice lake area with the turnpike nearby.

Good Luck

Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 PM

Thanks, Sleepless. I did some checking on real estate websites, and prices look really good. I'm very curious to spend a few days there in the fall. I hope it's a dog-friendly town, although I won't be taking them for this visit. I hope that you find the place that you desire as well. Sandy

Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 PM

17 posts, read 92,673 times
Wink agree with sleepless

yep, lived in nesquehoning as a youngster, still visit an elderly aunt there, we're trying to sell her house(not well maintained due to her age but livable) and any offers we get are way, way off our asking price of 40K. We just converted her coal stove to a oil heat, imagine that she was shoveling coal until she was 80years old...tough old woman!!!
Had a friend who had her parents house on the market for several years and just finally sold it...nothing to do there...no jobs to attract the young people...economy is shot except for the little tourism they get!!
It has changed alot, downhill mostly, might be nice for a city girl though to get away for a weekend. I live in allentown and wouldn't catch myself living there, but there are some nice areas to visit(Jim Thorpe) for a day...you might want to consider closer to the ski resorts like Little Gap(Lehighton) I think less riff raff maybe there, because sleepless is right the drugs are moving there so there must be a market for them...It really is a shame how even the little towns are affected by this crap!
Lots of luck on your search!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 PM

98 posts, read 434,325 times
Soul:

You will have no problem bringing your dog- many people have them in towns. I am outside Jim thorpe and have 3. They also are here to watch my property. We have break ins but not often and they are usually drug related.

You might want to visit Mauch Chunk Lake Park just outside of Jim Thorpe(downtown). It is a nice quiet but small lake with many walking trails. People walk thier dogs all the time there. Campers go there as well. They do not allow Motor Boats on the lake there like they do Beltzvillle which maybe the reason it is so quiet.

Beltzville is popular with the Philly crowd and traffic shows it.
Also a Popular store to go with your dog(yes they encourage you to bring the dog) is County Junction off 209 outside of Lehighton(past Beltzville going towards Broadheadsville).

I go their with one of my dogs often and walk through the huge General store and people love talking to me because of the dog. It's a nice way to get to know people also.

If you start to look for a home let us know- I will give you my 2 cents on the town and people. I use to be in Real Estate but gave it up in the late 80's as you can't make much money in Carbon County.

This explains why the young leave and the eldery stay(they never planned for retirement and bought in that Social security would take care of them).

No jobs here and what ones are are so low paying. Think Minimum wage still. I am now a stay at home Mom and always keep tabs on the market- my family doctor asked me if I wanted to come back to work he would love to hire me as an Office worker

When I asked how much- he paused and said:" well it is not much." I am sure it was minimum wage. When I told him it was not worth me going to work for the low wages offered in the county and told him the 6 figures my husband made in another county(My hubby commutes)- he dropped his mouth and then told me my husband made more than him.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania