Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times

Advertisements

The investment fund that owns Peoples Natural Gas Co. wants to buy another Western Pennsylvania natural gas utility, T.W. Phillips Gas and Oil Co. of Butler.
SteelRiver Infrastructure Fund North America LP announced Wednesday that it has an agreement to buy the century-old, privately held company and run it separately from the much larger Peoples Gas company, which before February was part of energy giant Dominion Resources Inc.
T.W. Phillips would retain its name and headquarters and continue to function as a regional natural gas distribution company, with 200 employees and more than 60,000 customers in northern Allegheny and parts of nine neighboring counties.

Peoples Gas owner to buy T.W. Phillips of Butler - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

They have already transferred ownership of some of their land to PC Exploration from T W Phillips and the sale will be complete by 2012

I wonder what that will do to our gas bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 AM

115 posts, read 186,235 times
I've heard alot of complaints about Phillips' rates. Maybe you'll get lucky...

Old 12-27-2010, 03:56 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Mod cut -Copyright - just post the link please.

When people from the city who works in investment firms, banks, for the gas company itself - comes on the internet and gives a uninformed opinion about how great the natural gas industry is for my area and for the state of Pennsylvania - I just have to laugh - because some of those city slickers has never even seen a natural gas well site - before and after the wells were drilled.

Natural gas lays under the ground in pockets.
They were deposited there millions of years ago.
They know nothing about property lines drawn on a tax map.
At times several gas companies explores in the same pocket.
Each company drills as many wells as possible - to get the gas out as quickly as possible.
By combining two gas companies - the competition goes away and each company can now charge as much as they want.
That is the bad thing about deregulation - when there is no one there to tell them how much they are allowed to charge - they will charge as much as the economy will support.

I knew that as soon as they approved the sale that the next thing they would ask for would be a rate increase.
If they are doing us such great favors combining two companies - then why should they need more of my money to invest into their infrastructure - when they are selling it.

Would be like washing the car, filling the gas tank and putting new tires and changing the oil in a car that you are going to sell tomorrow.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-28-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania