Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst border state
New York 7 12.73%
New Jersey 26 47.27%
Maryland 2 3.64%
Delaware 0 0%
W. Virginia 10 18.18%
Ohio 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Cancel a professional football game just because it snows?
Gee = it snows all the time in Minnesota and Wisconsin - yet you never see them cancel a football game unless the roof falls down.
Pennsylvania, especially Philadelphia's winter is nowhere near as bad as Minnesota's winters are and people in Philly aren't used to heavy snow as they are in Minnesota and even other parts of the state. I won't even get to the rest of your troll like comments but will also add who ever expected Pittsburgh to host a super bowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 AM

199 posts, read 518,620 times
Mod cut - removed deleted post quote.

*In regards to canceling the game, I honestly see it from both sides. In today's age, the NFL, stadium, and Philly administrators simply couldn't risk it because the US of A is ridiculously sue happy. God forbid someone who chose to leave their house and drive in the elements slide into another car in the parking lot, you'd have the "I'm suing McDonald's for making me fat" train roll into the station. They were smart to cancel it.

However, I also see Rendell's point that PA has certainly seen way worse snow and that thirty or some odd years ago, the game would have commenced with no issue.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-01-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM

279 posts, read 482,060 times
This thread is amusing. Only seals the deal for me that I can't wait to get out of PA this spring. Been here 34 years too long.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,248,988 times
I voted for New Jersey, because if New Jersey didn't exist. I'd only be 40 minutes from the beach!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 PM

356 posts, read 831,035 times
why's everyone hating on Ohio? I'm from NW PA, and I don't think anyone here looks down on or hates Ohio. Philadelphia on the other hand.....let's just leave it at that!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
I just wished that we could outsource PennDOT to OhioDOT or even NJDOT! I like to look at the better practices of other states.

Take NJ’s night paving: sometimes they lay more asphalt in one night than we do in weeks. I don’t like the way they block traffic to pave - when they are paving multiple lanes they sometimes block too many lanes off.

I really enjoy watching Ohio roadwork. In the time it took (about one year) to rebuild one two lane bridge, about 100 to 200 feet long; Ohio built a three lane bridge half a mile long. Their bridge had 21 piers over the Lake Meander Reservoir.

If we really want to have a superiority complex; we should know when somebody else is smarter or better. Then we should try to imitate and improve on their best practices.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,063,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just wished that we could outsource PennDOT to OhioDOT or even NJDOT! I like to look at the better practices of other states.

Take NJ’s night paving: sometimes they lay more asphalt in one night than we do in weeks. I don’t like the way they block traffic to pave - when they are paving multiple lanes they sometimes block too many lanes off.

I really enjoy watching Ohio roadwork. In the time it took (about one year) to rebuild one two lane bridge, about 100 to 200 feet long; Ohio built a three lane bridge half a mile long. Their bridge had 21 piers over the Lake Meander Reservoir.

If we really want to have a superiority complex; we should know when somebody else is smarter or better. Then we should try to imitate and improve on their best practices.
You know, I don't think it's a matter of one agency being "smarter." Instead, I think it goes back to the fact that creating work for union people is really what it's about in PA. As much as our agencies would probably love to be efficient, we (i.e. us PA residents) have been complacent and allow our politicians to cave into the demands of the self-serving unions. Remember, it was in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, to be exact) where Comcast's new 60-story headquarters was built with waterless urinals, but with water pipes to the urinals, just so the pipefitters' union could have work (this did happen and I don't understand how or why the taxpayers and the local businesses weren't rioting in the streets over the sheer stupidity of this).

Old 01-10-2011, 01:24 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
You know, I don't think it's a matter of one agency being "smarter." Instead, I think it goes back to the fact that creating work for union people is really what it's about in PA. As much as our agencies would probably love to be efficient, we (i.e. us PA residents) have been complacent and allow our politicians to cave into the demands of the self-serving unions. Remember, it was in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, to be exact) where Comcast's new 60-story headquarters was built with waterless urinals, but with water pipes to the urinals, just so the pipefitters' union could have work (this did happen and I don't understand how or why the taxpayers and the local businesses weren't rioting in the streets over the sheer stupidity of this).
BPP1999,

I am a retired Teamster. However; I did own my own business for five years. I understand both sides of your argument. I am also not keen on unions in the civil service sector.

I do think that unions have their place. The poor job market has hurt most unions. Unions, that protect civil service workers, do not seem to have been hit as hard. The biggest problem is that government depends on the funds from the private sector.

That said; I still think that we should always strive to work more efficiently. If somebody does it better - our goal should be to copy and better their actions. I think this way especially when it comes to roadwork. Every minute that roadwork delays traffic; the greater the chance of an accident involving a worker or the public. Proficiency should be the name of the game.

No state should ever be so proud and over confident that we cannot learn from others.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times
I wouldn't block any of them. What a silly question!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
why's everyone hating on Ohio? I'm from NW PA, and I don't think anyone here looks down on or hates Ohio. Philadelphia on the other hand.....let's just leave it at that!
I don't hate Ohio. We are making a few stops there this year on our vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania