U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 33,512 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a city girl from Philadelphia and Philly is really going down. We are thinking about moving my family to the Poconos but don't want to be in total seclusion. Does anyone know of nice areas up there that are not far from stores, school, etc. I guess like a suburban type area maybe? I have heard that Towamensing Trails is nice? Can anyone please give me some info if you can on Pocono living? Thanks so much.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,938,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmama View Post
Hi! I'm a city girl from Philadelphia and Philly is really going down. We are thinking about moving my family to the Poconos but don't want to be in total seclusion. Does anyone know of nice areas up there that are not far from stores, school, etc. I guess like a suburban type area maybe? I have heard that Towamensing Trails is nice? Can anyone please give me some info if you can on Pocono living? Thanks so much.....
Towamensing Trails is a bit secluded, are you ready for that?
If you know of Indian Mt. Lakes and that area......then it is a bit further then that on the same road. So in that case, if you feel that Indian Mt Lakes is far off, then this would be too.
It depends on what you like, do you still need to commute?
Do you still want a lot of stores within 10 minutes or so?
I was wondering if you would like Forks.....a section of Easton.
They are building new communities there, there is a local pool.......lots of shopping, good theaters, Wegmans, Walmart, Boscovs, Bon Tons, and many malls........Lehigh Mall, Phillipsburg Mall (NJ) and the smaller Mall on 248 with plenty there to shop at. ( Boscovs, BonTons etc)
They have their local Pizza, and Walgreens, CVS and do not have to travel far to grocery shop. There are some nice homes for sale there now.
This is in Northampton area........close to everything.
If you like the Poconos ......then some areas are better then others.
Reeders is nice, Brodheadsville, Snydersville, Sciota, Saylorburg that area of the Poconos. These areas are below Stroudsburg but easy to commute or get to many places around.
Just some of the towns I thought you might like.
Hoping this helps.............

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I'm a stay at home mom, I did work part time at my sons school and hope to maybe find some part time work in their new school, so I really don't have to commute a lot but my husband will still have to travel to Philadelphia and New York to work. Do you know how the schools are in those sections of he Poconos? I have a 5 year old going into kindergarten and a soon to be 7 year old going into 1st grade...I just worry about them and want to do what best for them. Thanks again, I didn't know that Towamensing Trails was "as secluded" as Indian Mountain Lakes....

Last edited by gpmama; 07-17-2007 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Added more

Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 AM

13,315 posts, read 13,938,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmama View Post
Thank you so much for the info. I'm a stay at home mom, I did work part time at my sons school and hope to maybe find some part time work in their new school, so I really don't have to commute a lot but my husband will still have to travel to Philadelphia and New York to work. Do you know how the schools are in those sections of he Poconos? I have a 5 year old going into kindergarten and a soon to be 7 year old going into 1st grade...I just worry about them and want to do what best for them. Thanks again, I didn't know that Towamensing Trails was "as secluded" as Indian Mountain Lakes....
Yes, really it is (T/Trails).........it is a bit past Indian Mt Lakes.
I like it there.........but, it is secluded. Still having lots of second homes for vacationing.
I can give you a link to the Pleasant Valley Schools. Their High School and Middle Schools are together. Then further down the road and a bit inland....is the elementary schools. ( very beautiful spot for them)
Good schools ,so I read and hear.
The site is PVbears.org and on that is things to click on and explore.
I notice with the children I am around that they are reading some at 5 and doing a small ledger book. By 6 and in Kindergarden, they have nice written booklets ........written phonically.........and quite interesting to read.
These booklets show times during the year. Times they hope to experience in the future, with pictures and great stores. Now for Kindergarden, I think that is great!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM

Thank you so much...You have helped more than you know! I'm sure I'll have more questions and I'll look forward to your answers!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,265 times
Pocono Premier Realty a good place to go if you're looking for rentals in the poconos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania