Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

This article features a map that illustrates these population trends. Philadelphia's black population grew by 78,905 while Pittsburgh's black population shrank by 1,587.

It's interesting to see Philadelphia as a magnet for blacks considering New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Detroit all saw significant decreases in their black populations. It's not quite the magnet that Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Washington DC are, but it's not too far behind any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This article features a map that illustrates these population trends. Philadelphia's black population grew by 78,905 while Pittsburgh's black population shrank by 1,587.

It's interesting to see Philadelphia as a magnet for blacks considering New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Detroit all saw significant decreases in their black populations. It's not quite the magnet that Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Washington DC are, but it's not too far behind any of them.
well, none are the magnet atlanta has been. technically philly is in the same region as baltimore and dc (mid-atlantic)

Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
I'm not surprised the population of blacks is clinging in Pittsburgh. As littlemizzpittsburgh says on the Pittsburgh forum, there isn't that much that caters to blacks in the Pittsburgh area for a large metro area and the black people I know seemed to want to move out of the area a lot more than the white people I know.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm not surprised the population of blacks is clinging in Pittsburgh. As littlemizzpittsburgh says on the Pittsburgh forum, there isn't that much that caters to blacks in the Pittsburgh area for a large metro area and the black people I know seemed to want to move out of the area a lot more than the white people I know.
Even then, it doesn't appear to be quite the problem in Pittsburgh as it is in Cleveland, Detroit, New York or Chicago. Chicago actually surprised me the most. I've heard they have a decent black middle class, so the drop in black population was unexpected.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think its deeper than that....Pittsburgh is becoming increasing tough for those without education or a set skill....less blue collar...we've said it ourselves in the Pittsburgh forums...and that effects blacks more than any other race in the Burgh....

As AA Female I try not to look at everything so Black and White....I refuse to believe that Blacks are leaving Pittsburgh simply because of lack of hip hop concerts and no WAMO....(if that is the only reason well I doubt they were contributing much to society anyway)

Pittsburgh get's plenty of Black comedian shows, Pittsburgh is starting grow in black owned entertainment establishments....

I have a few successful black females friend back in the Burgh...the one complaint most of them have are the lack of professional successful well grounded black men, doesnt have to be President of a Law firm...could be PAT Driver, or City Garbage man..some black man who doesnt live the "Thug" life 24/7 and are single and honest...Yes they are hard to find in the Burgh...

But as far as living in Pittsburgh its home, it affords them a nice lifestyle...now we're not all cought up in trying to live the sterotypical "Black Lifestyle" and arent tying to be the next Kamora Lee Simmons...

Now the Uneducated, Proverty stricken, Lazy individuals who want success to come to them for nothing...Yes they are miserable in the Burgh hate it thinks Pittsbugh is racist because they can't get ahead in life...and most have never lived anywhere else....but they soon find out its not all gravy everywhere else...I know plenty who were chasing a dream of ATL being the Black Utopia and were sadly mistaken (Not all from Pittsburgh alot of NYC blacks chased the same dream as well as Philly blacks)

Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
it may also.simply be a function of overall pop loss/gain. pittsburghs losses arent great enough to signify a mass exodus. philly appears to have stopped its pop loss and anyone whose been tjere knows that while its not a racial utopia things have improved greatly in race relations

Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,428 times
Default Pittsburgh: It's like living in South Africa circa 1990

If Blacks are leaving Pittsburgh it is because living here is like living in South Africa circa 1990. I tell Blacks thinking of moving here that they should reconsider. There is NO recognizable black middle class population -- oh sure there are a few black faculty and medical residents at the universities -- very few black faculty -- but the place, as a whole is very white and black working class. As such, whites don't know how to think about a black person with an education beyond 8th grade and blacks, here, don't know what they might aspire to. Those that get a clue flee as quickly as they can after high school and don't come back. Then, the few that come back after college and graduate/professional school remember why they left and leave again, for good. We live on the East End -- the middle, upper middle class haven in Pittsburgh. Rarely are black middle class people in the restaurants beyond Panera or the university dives in Oakland. It's incredibly depressing and sad. We moved here 2 years ago and are leaving this year. Can't take it.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future vision View Post
If Blacks are leaving Pittsburgh it is because living here is like living in South Africa circa 1990. I tell Blacks thinking of moving here that they should reconsider. There is NO recognizable black middle class population -- oh sure there are a few black faculty and medical residents at the universities -- very few black faculty -- but the place, as a whole is very white and black working class. As such, whites don't know how to think about a black person with an education beyond 8th grade and blacks, here, don't know what they might aspire to. Those that get a clue flee as quickly as they can after high school and don't come back. Then, the few that come back after college and graduate/professional school remember why they left and leave again, for good. We live on the East End -- the middle, upper middle class haven in Pittsburgh. Rarely are black middle class people in the restaurants beyond Panera or the university dives in Oakland. It's incredibly depressing and sad. We moved here 2 years ago and are leaving this year. Can't take it.

Philadelphia is like living in Johannasburg, S. Africa today.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Why is it Pittsburgh's fault that so many of its African-American residents don't pursue higher education while its Caucasians do?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania