Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This article features a map that illustrates these population trends. Philadelphia's black population grew by 78,905 while Pittsburgh's black population shrank by 1,587.

It's interesting to see Philadelphia as a magnet for blacks considering New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Detroit all saw significant decreases in their black populations. It's not quite the magnet that Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Washington DC are, but it's not too far behind any of them.

I can't speak for Philadelphia, but here in Pittsburgh, a lot of housing projects- predominately African American here- have been razed to the ground.

A large number of the former residents moved out of the city proper and into the suburbs predominately Baldwin in the south and numerous eastern suburbs.

Looking at just what is happening in the city proper really doesn't indicate much- I think you have to look at the metropolitan areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauledward View Post
I wish I could say that Philadelphia is a world-class city but it isn't! I lived there for many years and I still love my Philly sports teams! The problem is and will probably always be, is the tremendous number of poor, uneducated blacks that live in the city. It really breeds crime and gives the city such a bad image! I don't know of any non-blacks that say " oh-I'd love to live in these black slums-its so cool!" is a ridiculous thought! You drive north past City Hall on Broad St, and you see some of the worst urban blight in the country! At one time, North Philly as well as the other areas where blacks are the dominate racial group, were thriving, vibrant areas! It seems as soon as the blacks move in, property values drop, the neighborhoods deteriate, and crime goes up. Its so sad what has happened to Philadelphia over time. There are now around 38% that are white and continues to decline as the black population increases. I wish these people would take their cue from blacks in New York and elsewhere, and move back to the deep South! Then we could undergo a major urban renewal program and destroy all these slums and build parks and nicer housing-that would really boost Philadelphia's image! I know I sound rascist and believe me I wasn't this way growing up! But I've been a victim of black crime twice and lived among these people for a long time and seen firsthand how they act and behave!
Yes you do sound Racist....You're sterotyping all blacks into your narrow view of how 'all' blacks act...You know there are well-to-do professional AA that also dont want any part of the Ghetto-Life and who are law biding, tax pay citizens that contibute well to their communities.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yes you do sound Racist....You're sterotyping all blacks into your narrow view of how 'all' blacks act...You know there are well-to-do professional AA that also dont want any part of the Ghetto-Life and who are law biding, tax pay citizens that contibute well to their communities.
agreed but I'd also add his statements are false. as it turned out, the number of blacks in Philadelphia stayed flat. the increases came from hispanics and asians. and the numbers as a whole belie the tremendous changes taking place in certain areas of the city. the area next to temple went from 99% black to 45% in ten years while seeing overall population more than double

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Even then, it doesn't appear to be quite the problem in Pittsburgh as it is in Cleveland, Detroit, New York or Chicago. Chicago actually surprised me the most. I've heard they have a decent black middle class, so the drop in black population was unexpected.
Oh Oh Please tell me where they live as group, or do they live hidden amongst the whites?

Native young black 'burgers have been leaving in masse since the early eighties. No one really noticed until the young whites started leaving as well.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM

It seems that many of you have forgotten the city's (Pittsburgh) history of segregation. If you would look back about 30 years ago the majority of the blacks in Pgh lived in certain areas of the city. Now since the Hill's projects are systematically being demolished and the people who were born and raised there can no longer afford to live where they grew up, they are being forced to move further out of the city. Subsequently, the whites are moving either further away (next county) or back into the city (downtown/northside). Pittsburgh is also a "good old boy" town where in order to get a good job you have to know someone. If you have a so-so job you may have to put up alot of crap to keep it. Pittsburgh does not have as many activities for many blacks unless they are willing to go to mixed clubs, which in some cases are not always welcomed. The end of the only urban (black) radio station does not help either. Many blacks in the community obtained entertainment information from that station and it can also be perceived from a vistors point of view that the black population is not represented well enough to warrant one either.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauledward View Post
I wish I could say that Philadelphia is a world-class city but it isn't! I lived there for many years and I still love my Philly sports teams! The problem is and will probably always be, is the tremendous number of poor, uneducated blacks that live in the city. It really breeds crime and gives the city such a bad image! I don't know of any non-blacks that say " oh-I'd love to live in these black slums-its so cool!" is a ridiculous thought! You drive north past City Hall on Broad St, and you see some of the worst urban blight in the country! At one time, North Philly as well as the other areas where blacks are the dominate racial group, were thriving, vibrant areas! It seems as soon as the blacks move in, property values drop, the neighborhoods deteriate, and crime goes up. Its so sad what has happened to Philadelphia over time. There are now around 38% that are white and continues to decline as the black population increases. I wish these people would take their cue from blacks in New York and elsewhere, and move back to the deep South! Then we could undergo a major urban renewal program and destroy all these slums and build parks and nicer housing-that would really boost Philadelphia's image! I know I sound rascist and believe me I wasn't this way growing up! But I've been a victim of black crime twice and lived among these people for a long time and seen firsthand how they act and behave!
White flight was a big contributor to Philly's black percentage increasing over the decades. You can't just blame all blacks for the problems of the city.

As for Philly's demographics you need to calm down,the black percentage is 43% and the white population is 41%. Only 2% Higher, which is not really a large gap compared to other major cites. Out of the 10 largest U.S. cites Philly has one of the highest white percentages, so I wouldn't call Philadelphia chocolate city like Detroit which actually is a black majority city at 82%. Unless you've been living under a rock you can't help but notice that Philly is becoming a lot more racially diverse with a fast growing Hispanic and Asian population. By the way its going, in 30-40 years you can see the White and the Black percentage going down while the Hispanic and Asian percentage will gradually increase in the future.

As for crime, Yes it is a problem but Philly is less dangerous than it was back in the 90's when the muder rate was well over 400! I think the city is starting to head in the right direction and I hope it continues to keep dropping down on the list of the most dangerous cities in America.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 05-11-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I didn't see this thread until now. 1,587 isn't a huge loss. It could be a reflection of the overall population loss of all races.

It could also be the result of more blacks moving to the suburbs if the statistics are simply for the city and don't include the greater metro area.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oh Oh Please tell me where they live as group, or do they live hidden amongst the whites?
Middle class blacks don't live as a group in the Pittsburgh region. They do live amongst the whites in the suburbs. How could you not know this?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It seems that many of you have forgotten the city's (Pittsburgh) history of segregation. If you would look back about 30 years ago the majority of the blacks in Pgh lived in certain areas of the city. Now since the Hill's projects are systematically being demolished and the people who were born and raised there can no longer afford to live where they grew up, they are being forced to move further out of the city. Subsequently, the whites are moving either further away (next county) or back into the city (downtown/northside). Pittsburgh is also a "good old boy" town where in order to get a good job you have to know someone. If you have a so-so job you may have to put up alot of crap to keep it. Pittsburgh does not have as many activities for many blacks unless they are willing to go to mixed clubs, which in some cases are not always welcomed. The end of the only urban (black) radio station does not help either. Many blacks in the community obtained entertainment information from that station and it can also be perceived from a vistors point of view that the black population is not represented well enough to warrant one either.
You just wont give it up will you....

Pittsburgh is not even in the top 10 of most segregated cities, Pittsburgh is more racially inclusive than alot of cities....

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/03/29/most_segregated_cities/slideshow.html

Outside of ghettos Pittsburgh does not have racial, nationality and lifestyle enclaves that many other cities possess...I consider this a plus!

And actually AA in Allegheny County increased not decreased....So maybe just maybe you're having more successful blacks able to raise themselves out of the impoverished city ghettos to afford a better life amongst whites, Asians, and Indians living in the burbs...

Blacks increase numbers in Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Middle class blacks don't live as a group in the Pittsburgh region. They do live amongst the whites in the suburbs. How could you not know this?
Hopes, my love you KNOW that I know this as well. I was being sarcastic

I been to over 30 major cities and Pgh is the only large city with 13% or more black population that does not have a middle class SELF substaining AA neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania