Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyToPa View Post
How easy is it to get to philly, princeton and maybe princeton junction trainstation from these places? How are the house prices here...could we find new single family homes in the low-mid 400s? Does it fall under central or lower bucks county? How are the schools like?

New Hope is about 15 miles from Trenton. From there you can either take the NJ Transit train to Princeton or the SEPTA R7 line to center city Philly. Other places to check are Newtown and Holland (excellent schools). They are close to the R7 line so you can either take the train to Trenton and hop on the NJ Transit train, or just drive to Trenton.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2006 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,447 times
Default NY to PA

Not matter were in PA you move you still will have to commute and deal with traffic. I moved from Brooklyn NY 3 yrs ago to Effort, PA and that was the best thinng I ever did. At the begining the commute was a bummer but you get used to it. Effort is an ideal place to raise kids they have one of the best school systems in Monroe county. The other schools I'm glad my son doesn't attend I hear to many negative things about them. If you want to stay away from high taxes don't go to Stroudsburg or you'll find yourself in debt. Aslo try to stay away from gated communites they are not as safe as they say becuase the local police can't really patrol in the gated communites they are private that's why you have alot of drug and gang activity in PCP stay away from there. Also don't let the builder decide where you should build. I live in Effort and drive to Stroudsburg to catch the bus that's becuase I work in the Wall st. area and the first bus from there I catch about 3:38 PM which will get me to the Park N ride about 5:15 to 5:30 which is not bad considering the bus makes a couple of stop before going into the Holland tunnel. There are buses coming out of Effort but the first bus out of the Wall st. area is about 4:30 PM and will get you to Effort area about 6:30 PM. You can also go to the Port Authority on 42nd and catch the buses there which run more frequent and have better schedules. On Friday I drive to Harrison NJ which is for me about 1hr from Effort and take the Path train over to NY which is about 20 min. and it's worth it for me on Friday becuase most of the time I'm getting into PA about 4:30 PM If you are not ready to deal with a big change consider looking somewhere else beleive me it's a big change but if you have kids that are in school it's worth it.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberalexa View Post
Which parts of PA are best for living and commuting to NYC. Low crime, nice neighborhood.
There is no best part of Pa for commuting to NYC. From the Pocono area or Lehigh area you have to figure 2 1/2 to 3 hours door to door no matter how you plan to commute. Best thing to do is take the time and do a trial run from different areas during rush hour estimating the time you would need to be to work by. I did it for 5 years and had co workers doing it also. Don't believe the people who say 90 minutes . NYC to the Poconos on Friday at 4pm is a 4 hour trip.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 PM

17 posts, read 104,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
There is no best part of Pa for commuting to NYC. From the Pocono area or Lehigh area you have to figure 2 1/2 to 3 hours door to door no matter how you plan to commute. Best thing to do is take the time and do a trial run from different areas during rush hour estimating the time you would need to be to work by. I did it for 5 years and had co workers doing it also. Don't believe the people who say 90 minutes . NYC to the Poconos on Friday at 4pm is a 4 hour trip.
This is true, Friday's in the Pocono's are terrible. I used to live in Stroudsburg and you couldn't even get through town without it taking a half hour. I had friends who would commute into NYC and it was never less than 2 1/2 hours each way. Sounds crazy to me, especially when you have kids, but I guess to some it wasn't so bad..they kept doing it. I've never met anyone who could do the trip in 90 minutes.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:32 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Live in Port Jervis along I-84. Not sure if that is PA or NY, it's on the line. Nice little town

Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberalexa View Post
Yes we have but with the crime concern in the pocono area i am a bit skeptical. My wife is also worry about the commute. We were even thinking about Effort.
Effort, Brodheadsville is fine. Martz does pick up in this town.
It has less on the schedule then the regular station that is now moved more or less into the outskirts of Stroudsburg, practically.....Delaware Water Gap.
Also there is a park and ride area off of 447 and 209 area in Stroudsburg.
One other bus did try to do routes, if I am not mistaken they are not here now. The commute is tiring for many. It lasts for just so long........
My neighbor commutes to Long Island each day from Brodheadville.
Not any more crime here in this area, then most of the rest of Pa. It does take a bus 90 minutes from the DWG bus station or the Park and Ride........
Might be a bit longer from Effort. I've taken it.......they give the buses during peak hours a different loop to take ( normally goes downward, but gets closed for going up and into the tunnel area, plus they have thier own lane.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
Just wondering. I see in the NYC papers some guys bring into work ads for homeowners in the Poconos(w/a daily commute to NYC). I guess the plan is they live in the rural Poconos and express bus to the city and back? Am I missing something? W/ the trip to and from the bus stop, the trip in/out, walk?, subway? urban train? once in the city...Aren't we talking 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours each way (or more?). That's crazy..even w/their high paying jobs.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
...oh and that's Toga county NY I'm in ..not Tioga , Pa.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Just wondering. I see in the NYC papers some guys bring into work ads for homeowners in the Poconos(w/a daily commute to NYC). I guess the plan is they live in the rural Poconos and express bus to the city and back? Am I missing something? W/ the trip to and from the bus stop, the trip in/out, walk?, subway? urban train? once in the city...Aren't we talking 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours each way (or more?). That's crazy..even w/their high paying jobs.
We had friends who did that. They origonally commuted from NJ.
Then moved to Pa. Either drove or took the bus.......Once in awhile drove to Dover, NJ and took the train from there.
What he said was that he'd sleep on the way in to NYC........
and sleep on the way home.......
So the commute didn't bother him in the least. But, yes it was 1 1/2 to 2 hours and he did this from Pa for probably 13 to 14 years.
PS my neighbor right now drives in the early AM to Long Island........has for many, many years.........Ah I am tired just thinking about it...

Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM

15 posts, read 68,721 times
I live in Easton, PA and commute to NY. I usually work off-peak, so I make excellent time, just over an hour to the tunnel, a few times when no one was out just under an hour, but realistically, with peak traffic you would be looking at a 90 min commute. the thing with a rail line is the tracks are there, and the train starts in Clinton, NJ. With a little effort they could have the train run to Easton. I really think that in turn, Easton could make a ton of money, the roads and highways would not be as crowded and it would be a much safer commute than by car or bus. I think the more people that move to Easton and the suburbs of Easton the greater the chance of a commuter rail coming back to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania