U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,865,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Has anybody ever been to any of Pennsylvania's 20 "must-see" state parks? They are...

1. Black Moshannon State Park
2. Canoe Creek State Park
3. Cherry Springs State Park
4. Cook Forest State Park
5. Delaware Canal State Park
6. Greenwood Forest State Park
7. Hickory Run State Park
8. Hyner View State Park
9. Jennings State Park
10. Kinzua Bridge State Park
11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
12. McConnells Mill State Park
13. Ohiopyle State Park
14. Oil Creek State Park
15. Presque Isle State Park
16. Pymatuning State Park
17. Raccoon Creek State Park
18. Ricketts Glen State Park
19. Trough Creek State Park
20. Worlds End State Park

PA*DCNR*-*Error (broken link)

Of those 20, I've only ever been to Ohiopyle and Pymatuning State Parks. I took a raft down the Youghiogheny River below the Ohiopyle Falls, and almost took a rowboat across Pymatuning Lake from Tuttle Point to a couple of random islands. (It's a good thing I turned around because the sun was setting.)

So if any of you have ever been to any of these places, let me know what you thought.
Been to:

1. Black Moshannon State Park
2. Canoe Creek State Park
3. Cherry Springs State Park
4. Cook Forest State Park - Family has a camp there
5. Delaware Canal State Park
6. Greenwood Forest State Park
7. Hickory Run State Park
8. Hyner View State Park
9. Jennings State Park
11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
13. Ohiopyle State Park
14. Oil Creek State Park
18. Ricketts Glen State Park
19. Trough Creek State Park
20. Worlds End State Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM

43,012 posts, read 96,007,008 times
4. Cook Forest State Park
13. Ohiopyle State Park
14. Oil Creek State Park

I have been to all of the above many times and they're all great. I've lot to see the rest of them too!

Old 09-20-2014, 03:22 PM

16,301 posts, read 5,618,035 times
Let's keep this long running thread going.
Went to Hickory Run today, some very good hiking there, and didn't even get to the boulder field which as others have said is the highlight of the park. So many parks and so little time.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:46 PM

108 posts, read 210,486 times
I went to the Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks today. I have frequently visited Leonard Harrison State Park but today was my first visit to the Colton Point State Park. These two parks are basically one park separated by the Pine Creek Gorge. I hiked the Rim Trail at Colton Point State Park. The trail was mostly flat with only a few uphill climbs, not an ordeal like many other trails. There were many overlooks along the trail with spectacular views of the Pine Creek Gorge. I had my binoculars in my backpack so I could spy on bikers down below on the Pine Creek Trail. I even found a restroom along the Rim Trail although it was kind of too rustic.

No visit to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is complete without a stop at Wellsboro, the quaint little town in Tioga County. I couldn't find a parking space on Main Street but I did find plenty of parking spaces on the street running behind Main Street. I'll have to remember that because that's a good place to park. I had dinner at Timeless Destination Restaurant & Lounge. Their homemade potato chips are the best chips I've ever eaten.

Besides the two state parks with overlooks, there is also the Pine Creek Trail, one of those rails to trails paths for walking or riding a bike. It runs for 60 miles all the way down to Jersey Shore.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM

17,810 posts, read 11,323,305 times
is the Rim Trail friendly to those afraid of heights (like yours truly)?

I've been tempted but when someone says 'overlook' I cringe.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:34 AM

4,264 posts, read 10,149,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
is the Rim Trail friendly to those afraid of heights (like yours truly)?
Probably not, the railings at Colton Point are more minimalist. Leonard Harrison (the easier-to-reach park for most, on the east/Wellsboro side) has more substantial railings (and a worse view, IMHO).

Old 09-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 469,428 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Susquehannock State Park yet.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:50 PM

27,972 posts, read 26,642,585 times
Maybe not in the top 20, but I like Pine Grove Furnace too.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,535,522 times
I camped at a park called Lyman Run in the Pennsylvania Wilds last week. Very pristine, yet very isolated. Thick, almost boreal type woods. We were the only campers camped in the entire campground. Just before bed, we heard a gigantic crash followed by the blood curdling screeching of what sounded like a deranged cat being strangled. Let's just say that a mere 2 hours later we found ourselves parked in a cheap motel off interstate 80.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 5,795 times
Lightbulb Where would you go?

Hello people, greetings for you all!
I'm from São Paulo, Brazil, and I would really like to hear from you people some advice about some ideas that I have here on my mind.... If you can help, I will be very grateful.

Well... I will have the luck to visit Pennsylvania in beggining of May.
I will have 7 days in Philadelphia, and.... as I am a person who prefers the field than big cities (although I still live in SP...), I am planning to get my backpack and go to some natural park for something like 4 days.

I've searched some info about state parks in Pennsylvania in the internet (and this post helped a lot also) and I have 3 ideas in my mind...
Then I though.... well I'll ask them... the people who really know the area... (If someday you come to Brazil's southeast...I'll be glad to give you all the best directions... hehhehe and you could spend a life here... but well... I'm sure that up there also...)

So, my 3 ideas are:

1) Going to Ohiopyle State Park.
2) Going to Rickett's Glen State Park.
3) Going to Hawk Mountain Park and then going a little bit norther to Jim Thorpe and visit also Lehigh Gorge State Park

I have to choose between this ideas, because, of course, I don't have time to visit all theese places.

What would you do? If you were in Philadelphia and had something like 4 days to travel around (I've never been to Pennsylvania or even had the chance to visit any natural field on USA)
If there is any other idea better than one of this 3, please tell me also...

What I'm most looking for is different views and hiking trails (if they are demanding, even better )

Well, you, PA people... where would you gooo??? heheheh

Ah, and finishing... but not less important... HOW would you go from Philadelphia to those destinations I've mentioned? The best option would be buses? Are there trains the also could help me??

Well people!! THANK YOU A LOT!!!!! FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ THIS AND REPLYING ME!!
CHEERS FROM BRAZIL!!!! THE BEST FOR EVERYONE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or