Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 AM

99 posts, read 353,014 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about the Reading area? Schools, jobs, etc?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
I think Whyosming is nice, it is near reading

Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Reading has serious problems( as do many eastern Pa cities), but luckily it has a truly great county surrounding it. The school is in the bottom 3rd of Pa, not as bad as the very worst, I guess. Wyomissing is one of the best in the state and most of the other county districts score very good or higher. At least Reading's band program is still nationally famous. Jobs are okay, average for the state and right now unemployment for the county is about 4%. Crime is very bad but not as bad as it was and drops off considerably in the surrounding areas. There's alot of new efforts being made to revitalize the city, A great new arts center, a huge convention center, the Sovereign Center which gets many top acts as well as its sports teams, plus it still has one of the highest rated minor league baseball parks in the country( although a few morons in city government have suggested moving it to a flood plane, ???). Reading's biggest problems are outsiders exporting crime and bringing a knuckle dragging attitude to the city, as well as its manufacturing job base being phased out. But that's a problem nationally. Eventually, hopefully, these problems will get worked out.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:46 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Shillington is a nice area. Lived there for 2 years. Everything is convenient and there isnt too much in the way of crime or traffic.

Wyomissing is another good area.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,854 times
Default Reading in the 1960's

I had the good fortune to live in Reading for 3 years while I was growing up in 1967-1970. There is quite a bit of negative press now about the city and it seems the city deserves the bad rap. But in those days living in the city was wonderful. There was much to do, civic organizations were strong, the city was safe and clean and everything was accessible. I went to 13th and Union and then 12th and Marion Elementary schools. Then NE Junior HS as they called it in those days. I still remember the names of my elementary teachers, Mrs. Ruth Brommer and Ms. Joanne Stacherski. They were wonderful teachers. The schools were nothing short of excellent. We moved away but I still go back to the area from time to time.
But now one has to live in one of the suburbs in order to get the quality of life which we enjoyed and took for granted. It looks like the western and northern suburbs are the best places to live. Reading still has an ideal location overall. Close to everything but not so crowded. The entire NE US and the south are all within 1 days drive.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Many people moved out to the suburbs and many people from out of the area moved into the city. Crime and poverty then went unchecked. I could say the same for many small Pa cities, Lancaster, Allentown, Harrisburgh, Bethlehem, Easton, Norristown, Coatesville, York, even Lebanon, all more or less have had similar problems.
But as you said, Reading's crime and poverty problems drop dramatically at the city limits. And I looked at crime and economic data and if you added a few close suburbs( Reading is a small city in size but has a very high population density), it suddenly looks ALOT healthier economically and its crime rate drops substantially.
It hit rock bottom maybe 10 years ago and is slowly making a comeback as the newcomers slowly become more civilized. I don't think it will ever be the envy of small cities again like it used to be, but I think people do see its potential and the surrounding Berks county remains growing economically and population wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania