Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 56,451 times

Advertisements

Due to my husband's job we are planning a move to Pennsylvania. We need to find a home somewhere in a commutable distance to Lancaster County. We have three boys ages 15, 10 and 9. Our number one priority is to find excellent schools where they can continue the sports that are their life. Football, baseball and basketball are their lives and since the move will be hard enough I want them to be able to remain involved. We would appreciate any information or advice you could offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I have family that lives in Lampeter-Strasburg School district and they love it. Lampeter-Strasburg School District - L-S Home Page (http://www.lampstras.k12.pa.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=1&url_redirect=1 - broken link) Beautiful area too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
In Lancaster County, Hempfield and Manheim Township are your best schools for academics. In addition to playing sports at school, Hempfield or Lititz (Warwick Schools~good but have had many changes in administration) have huge municipal/community recreation centers.

My husband commutes to Lancaster from York~in York the best school districts, with solid sports programs are Central, Dallastown and York Suburban.

Unfortunately, the budget crisis is going to affect the continuation of sports in the public schools; if not this next year in the couple of years down the road. It's speculated that there will be drastic cuts in programs or students will have to "pay to play".

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Wow, talk about a change of direction! From la-la land to the Amish country.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Daniel Boone in Berks has been having a winning football program the last several years, they just built( and now is faced with financial problems for it) a huge new stadium. Wyomissing and Governor Mifflin and Muhlenberg all have good football programs, Wyomissing having excellent academics. Its a travel to Lancaster but Lancaster is a big county and Lancaster can mean both the city and county. You'll find most suburban schools in the area have at least good academics. Wyomissing is similar to Manheim township in lancaster to give you an idea. Hope any of this helps.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM

429 posts, read 718,962 times
Default Why not live in Lancaster County?

Berks County DOES have some great schools with great sports programs, but why should your husband be forced to drive an hour each way to work in Lancaster County? Lancaster County is BEAUTIFUL. Lancaster County has WONDERFUL schools. Lancaster County has TERRIFIC sports programs. If your husband lives near his job he'll actually be able to be involved in the kids' lives more. Traffic gets old fast.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I very much agree with Jeanie Beanie. I can see commuting if there is nothing close by that wouldn't suit, but there are many good school districts right in Lancaster county. I've lived in one place and worked in another and it's just not as pleasant. It's actually pretty neat to be part of a community at work and at home and if you are commuting a distance, it's hard to be part of either.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 56,451 times
Thank you all. This is all very helpful information. My sign on name states Californiabound but we never actually made it to California, I just don't know how to edit the name. We never really wanted to go to California but were faced with the possibility due to my husband's job. We wound up near Mansfield Louisiana. Some have called it the "Armpit of America" and in many ways that was an accurate assessment but the people in and around that community were phenominal. They were a bit standoffish at first but we were bound and determined to become a part of that community and by the time we had to move again it wound up being the hardest place we ever had to leave. I had read on other posts that people in Pennsylvania were cold to outsiders moving in too but if the response I have received thus far in this thread is any indication that may be inaccurate. I have posted on City-data forums before and although received some good info it was not this much or this fast. I pray I will meet kind folks like you all once we make the move. As far as commute, we live north of Dallas at present and at a minimum my drive one way is an hour and a half. Most often it is an hour and forty-five to two hours but we truly want to minimize our commute as much as possible while still allowing the boys to participate in the sports they so dearly love. I personally am excited about being able to learn more about the Amish community. We lived in Fort Madison, IA once and we roamed around and found a few Amish families in that area. I was fascinated and loved it when I found one of their bake sales somewhere! We are so ready for a slower pace and more down to Earth lifestyle than that we experience in Dallas. Thanks again and keep the advice coming!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 34,960 times
I lived in Lancaster for 5 years in East Hempfield.. It was a great location and the schools were excellent..My children were 7 and 9 years old and the sports programs were top notch.
Close to shops and downtown which has wonderful galleries and excellent resturants.
If you need a realtor let me know I still have alot of friends up there who will take care of you.
Good luck

Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 PM

35 posts, read 72,196 times
Default Re: No longer California bound - On our way to Lancaster County Pennsylvania now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBound View Post
I had read on other posts that people in Pennsylvania were cold to outsiders moving in, but if the response I have received thus far in this thread is any indication that may be inaccurate.
I'm sorry to hear that Pennsylvania still gets a bad rap as far as being cold to outsiders. As a native of Berks County, I was often told by new co-workers from other cities/states that I was friendlier than most. But maybe it only seemed that way because I tend to be outgoing in general to everybody. I'll admit that some Pennsylvanians keep more to themselves. It's not that they're unfriendly -- they just aren't always very outgoing. (I'm speaking in general terms. It's impossible to define an entire population with one brushstroke.)

But since I moved away many decades ago, things (and people) have probably loosened up! I think if you make the effort to meet your new neighbors (and don't automatically expect them to show up on your front porch on moving day with zucchini bread like they do in the Deep South!) you will be fine. In fact, I think you will like them a lot. They may not be extroverted, but they are genuine. Once you've made a friend in Pennsylvania, you've made a friend for life. They are good people. They are always willing to lend a hand if you need it. Just don't be shy about asking!

I also agree with Jeanie Beanie. "Back then," when I grew up, all the schools were pretty good. But I think you'll find you will enjoy your life more without the long commute -- especially when it's unnecessary. Hopefully there will be others in the Lancaster area who can offer you school advice -- at least, which schools they would tend to NOT recommend. That list is probably shorter anyway!

Good luck with your move! We used to move every few years and lived all over the country. I kinda miss it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania