Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2006, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 40,121 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to PA from NJ.
We'd like to be in a commutable distance to NYC, Princeton and Philly.
How are the schools, neighbourhood in this area?
Is it commutable to NYC ? How long and easy is it?
How affordable are new single family homes in this area (2500sq ft)?
Need your help pls!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Schools: very good
Neighborhoods: very good
Commutable: definitely to Philly and Princeton, doable to NYC but it would be a long day

Central Bucks is gorgeous! I work in Trenton and a lot of my coworkers live in Bucks, spouses commute to Princeton or Philly.

Affordable is a very subjective thing...what is affordable in my opinion may or may not be affordable in yours. Compared to housing just across the Delaware River in New Jersey, Bucks County is somewhat less money, plus I believe the taxes are lower (and the car insurance is definitely lower).

Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM

Default New Hope, PA

Is New Hope, PA in Central Bucks or lower bucks?
Are lower bucks schools bad?
I checked on google maps that New Hope is 40miles to philly, 40 miles to Warren, NJ (which is the secondary work location for my husband) and 44 mins drive to princeton junction station (to take a train to NYC). Is there a short cut to get to princeton junction from new hope, coz the directions seem to go around and doesnt show the shortest...
Could we expect to find new single family homes in this area in the low 400s?
How are the taxes here?
How about neighbourhood? is it a good place to raise a family?
How is the library facility, community center in that area? We are clueless about this part of PA. How does it compare to Bethlehem PA?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
New Hope is an adorable place to shop. The houses are beautiful. I don't know that you could get from New Hope to Princeton Junction in much less than 40-45 minutes but I am not overly familiar with the area. I am pretty sure New Hope is considered central Bucks, and it is one of the more expensive towns of Bucks. That's about all I can say personally about New Hope.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Ho...nsylvania.html

Old 09-02-2006, 08:04 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
what about uppper bucks county....our job is opposite..we are going to be in bethlehem for work...yet I want to stay within 50 minutes of philli.....

I am worried about the gang activity in certain areas of the lehigh valley....so perhaps upper bucks, perkasie is an option.

Seems like you cant go wrong with the schools there....as they are pretty good.

Question.

1. How do the towns take care of the snow, lawns and stuff? I drove thru princeton....I think, and I was AMAZED at how beautiful the landscape and the manicured lawns were on the roads....plenty of lighting, bike paths....a real nice community feel.

Is bucks like this too?

Old 09-02-2006, 08:34 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
I moved to Central Bucks (Doylestown) in my early high school years and consider that to be the place that I am "from." I live in NJ now, but would head back in a heart beat. DH does not feel the same way, but he is from Montgomery County, and does not have the same fond memories of PA as I do.

The C.B. school district is incredible. By the time the students reach their senior year, that have the equivilent of an early college education. The neighborhoods are nice, even the older ones still look good, and people buy the older colonials, remodel, and have a gorgeous home with mature landscaping. Taxes are reasonable, ESPECIALLY compared to NJ - I don't have to tell you, do I, jerseytoPa?

I think the general area from Plumsteadville right down to Newtown is worth looking into. That encompasses many school districts, neighborhoods and lifestyles - truly something for everyone.

Stay away from Lower Bucks, such as Bristol, - more crime, etc.
Far Upper Bucks is still country but not as much as in years gone by. The area has become somewhat developed in the past decade.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:14 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
what towns encompass the central bucks school district? Is it only doylestown? I want to be as north as possible....and stay within the central bucks district.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Decided on Hanover.

We finally decided to be in Hanover in Bethlehem, PA. We drove by the area many times...we liked the the neighbourhood and house...spoke to couple of friends who live around that area....there are buses to NYC and NJ...express buses to downtown NYC (2hr ride)...and we decided to buy the house which has everything that we wanted, the neighbourhood that we wanted and a good enough school district and I think that since I will be able to be at home with our son, I will be able to closely involved with his school , more than I could have done when I was working full time....I think that by being in Bethlehem we will be able to strike a good balance between my husbands commute to NYC, affording a bigger house, nice neighbourhood and me not having to work and instead take charge of the domestic front and play an active role in my son's schooling (and compensate to not being able to send him to the "BEST" schools ).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania