U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-08-2007, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 11,161 times
Default Have Disabled Teen need program

Hi We need to relocate for our son who is age-ing out of HS soon. Our state of Illinois is rated 48/50 for adult services for disabled. He is almost 18, is legally blind with moderate cerebral palsy. He uses a wheel chair for mobility. We are hoping for a similar to milder climate. We also have a 5 year old and need good schools. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a day program where he can go and socialize, go on field trips maybe have sheltered workshop type mini jobs, go to the movies, have dances and holiday parties etc. He is bright, verbal and very social but given his handicaps unable to get a typical job. Sitting at home day after day for the rest of his life will be unbareable for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-08-2007, 09:12 PM

522 posts, read 1,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzpta View Post
Hi We need to relocate for our son who is age-ing out of HS soon. Our state of Illinois is rated 48/50 for adult services for disabled. He is almost 18, is legally blind with moderate cerebral palsy. He uses a wheel chair for mobility. We are hoping for a similar to milder climate. We also have a 5 year old and need good schools. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a day program where he can go and socialize, go on field trips maybe have sheltered workshop type mini jobs, go to the movies, have dances and holiday parties etc. He is bright, verbal and very social but given his handicaps unable to get a typical job. Sitting at home day after day for the rest of his life will be unbareable for him.
The "milder climate" part would not apply to Pittsburgh , but there is a nationally recognized day program in the Pittsburgh area (I work in the industry, am not affiliated with it, but can vouch for its excellency) called Allegheny Valley School (don't let the "school" part throw you- it is for adults only). You should at least look into it. Most of the individuals I have worked with there do not seem to function at the level your son does, though- I think they typically have more profound disabilities. I could be wrong...again...I think it is worth looking into.

Another local resource would be Edinboro University (north of Pittsburgh). They are recognized for being an accessible campus and one of the only Universities that cater to the needs of disabled people (instead of just doing what they've got to do to be legal). They have an assistive-technology program that incorporates the use of hi-tech to perform activities of daily living. Even if your son is not of the cognitive ability to attend traditional classes at a university, I think they could still point you in the right direction towards finding a good day program. I'd at least contact them for ideas.

Also, in the city of Pittsburgh, there is a very large Physical Rehabilitation & Education network called "The Children's Institute". A quick Google search would find the contact information for them. There again, if they aren't the ones that run a day program there is no doubt they would know who does.

Hope this helps!

Cap

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 08-08-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania