Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,861 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to PA to attend Alvernia University. I am looking for apartments and would LOVE some direction. Where should I avoid? I have no idea of the good or bad areas. Does anyone know if any apartment complexes that are worth exploring? I will be a female living alone so I want somewhere safe, ideally with a security system.

Thanks

Last edited by Smellgoodqueen; 07-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM

889 posts, read 2,566,400 times
Don't know of specific apartment buildings. But I do know the areas: Avoid downtown Reading iteslf, as a single female you'd probably feel uncomfortable comign to and from there.

West Reading, Wyomissing, Shillington, West Lawn are all good. West Reading in particular has a walkable downtown/retail area along Penn Ave between Rt 422 and Park Rd, with people out and about in the evenings.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM

24,365 posts, read 22,967,222 times
There are apartments in renovated single homes in Shillington and Kenhorst as well as some apartments right across from Governor Mifflin school. Exeter has some apartments in buildings that range from somewhat reasonable to pretty expensive. Wyomissing and West Reading have apartments as mentioned. Wyomissing has a HUGE new apartment complex that went up recently that is pretty upscale right next to the outlets.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM

10 posts, read 39,143 times
Default Hessian Camp Area

Hello, looking to relo to Reading - had lived in city 20 yrs ago. Want to return for multi reasons.

Looking at the Hession Camp area - Hill and Eckert Rds - large home (I have a bunch of kids) the prices seem very low....Is there something to be concerned with in that area?

Thx!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM

443 posts, read 598,747 times
I moved here from the east end of Pittsburgh and regret it. I use to live in Squirrel Hill, so trying to adjust to a place far less vibrant is hard. I try so hard to like the positives of Reading. But the truth is, the city is so poverty stricken, hostile, and the culture is amazingly different for just being 4 hours to the east. I live in West Reading. It is a 10 minute drive to Alvernia. We started in a two room apartment in a very large complex that is always looking for more tenants. I don't mind my area. It is nice and quiet with Museum park right down the road, and Penn Ave (the only walkable main street in the area not far away). Kenhorst, and Shillington are not bad. If you PM me I can tell you about our apartment complex as it is one of the larger ones in the area. Pretty much, stay on the west side of the Schuylkill river and it isn't bad. The southeast PA area is actually nice, but it has it's problems.

ICYTea, that apartment complex you are talking about near the outlets was 1200 bucks/month for the smallest one room! That is center city prices. I refused to pay that just to live near the outlets. I went a tad south, and found a large apartment complex in a quiet area that is far less for a two room. I want to save for a house, and couldn't be flushing 600 extra down to rent every month just to live near the Outlets I went to once so far and have that nice restaurant (whatever it is) attached to my building.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM

24,365 posts, read 22,967,222 times
Hessian camp is a nicer area of the City, just on the edge of the city bordering Mount Penn. Its a lot closer to the shopping east of the city and is pretty quiet with the park and mountain right there.
Its in the city school district which is BAD. Unless your kids would go to the catholic school sytem, theres a grade school not too far away and the old central catholic high school was right there but now it was just consolidated.
Antietam( Mount Penn) is a much smaller school with very high taxes.
As stated before, Reading has major issues but I think the newer residents are slowly.. slowly.. coming around but it will take a long time. I don't think the city is honestly big enough to have a big segment of people that can stay static in the way they're used to living and not be forced to adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania