Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,903 times

Advertisements

does anyone know if there is new legislation on the floor or being worked on in the state of Pennsylvania to legalize the use of cannabis, marijuana for medical reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Well, I can garuntee it won't get passed.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexme2nlte View Post
does anyone know if there is new legislation on the floor or being worked on in the state of Pennsylvania to legalize the use of cannabis, marijuana for medical reasons
==============

What specific types of medicinal purposes are we talking about here..

Lol

Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 AM

67 posts, read 288,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
==============

What specific types of medicinal purposes are we talking about here..

Lol
With a screen name with sexmetonite, one does wonder...

Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,747 times
Dear SEXME2NITE re: Medical Marijuana:
Passing legislation for med. mari.: I doubt it. Illegally, it is EVERYWHERE in central PA. Let me relate to you a quick story about obtaining it that way: 2 nites ago, in the "lovely" inner-city of Harrisburg, PA (the state capitol), my just-turned-18-year-old "white bread/wanna-be gangsta" son & 2 of his "boys" decided it would be a terrific (not to mention, really smart) idea to buy/sell marijuana for a quick high & apparently, some cash. Unfortunately for them all, the young African-Amer. gangsta they were either selling to or purchasing from thought the same thing but decided he wanted free weed so he leaned into the open window of the car my son & his friends were in & shot my son's friend through the chest in the back seat of the car. My son (our only child) & his other friend were sitting in the front seat of the same car @ the time of the shooting & apparently witnessed it all. My son whipped off his own "beater" & tried to stuff it onto & hold down as hard as he could,
the gaping wound of his friend in an attempt to staunch the flow of blood. The detective I spoke to told me this is being investigated as a drug-related attempted homicide & that my son & his other friend were extremely lucky they weren't shot also. Since the 27-year-old young man is now in the hospital in serious condition (as would be expected), this may yet turn into a homicide investigation. The police are still looking for the shooter. My husband & I are now wondering if this guy will attempt to locate my son & his friend because they are material witnesses to the crime. Will he show up @ OUR house? We don't know. Never, in a trillion years, would I have expected my well-brought up son (or so I thought) to knowingly put himself into such a dangerous/awful position. If you ever met me, my husband (of 24 years), or ANY of our extended family, would you ever expect us to be in the middle of such a situation - I guarantee it. Now, all 4 of these guys are in extremely serious ****; I'm sure there will be drug charges for all, one is being sought for attempted murder/murder & one might yet die - all for a "harmless" drug (hey, even I thought so in the 60's & 70's). Therefore, SEXME2NITE, try to learn from our tragedy & think long & hard & VERY, VERY carefully before you attempt to purchase this on your own in the streets of PA. No pain in the world is worth risking your life for . . .

Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM

70 posts, read 311,177 times
Debsky-

I empathize with your situation. As a police officer, I saw all too often the effect that the war on drugs has created in this country.

But that's the thing...the blame lies with the prohibition on drugs. It is what creates the illicit drug trade and invites violence. Decriminalize marijuana and allow it's sale, and these problems disappear.

Unfortunately, as I have seen the positive responses to legislation to ban smoking tobacco in private establishments, I can only suspect that the fascist, nanny-state loving Pennsylvanians would never go for legalized marijuana. You simply are not smart enough to live your own life, you must be controlled.

The rest of us who believe in liberty and personal responsibility seem to be the minority. Thomas Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,747 times
BravoSix - I just wanted to let SM2N know what he/she may encounter while attempting to make a buy in the streets here. I'm sure my son's done this before w/no downside - or at least not such a violent one. The kids in inner city Harrisburg seem to carry guns as casually as their wallets. And no matter what, if you were in law enforcement you KNOW marijuana is a gateway drug. I worked for the govt. in Suffolk Cty., L.I. for 32 years; the last several working w/public assistance recipients & about 96% were current drug users & not a one (& I've met 1000's) started with anything else but weed. I got to see them afterwards: the methheads, the junkies, the HIV-infected, the alcoholics, the psychotics, the homeless, the 15 yr. olds w/3 kids & 1 on the way, you name it. Had you been living & working there in your field when I was in mine, you know we'd be sharing the same clients/perps. My best friend in Probation knew most of my clients & vice versa. Funny, but really, really pathetic. (Also, NY loved to legislate us to death, too. When I left L.I., the dim bulbs in the Suffolk Cty. legislature were trying make it a crime if you smoked cigarettes in your own car - seriously. P.S. You can still smoke in many of the restaurants here in central PA.) Many people can handle just smoking weed - usually adults. Many of my friends in their 40's, 50's, 60's & up, swear they'd never quit. Most are comfortably retired from good to great careers w/plenty of expendable income & can afford it. However, let's face it you & I know most kids want to pursue a "better" high because if pot could make them feel that good, imagine what the other drugs might offer! Most, if not all of the adults I know who smoke have no more interest in acquiring a more intense high like speed, LSD, etc. But kids are stupid (& you KNOW I know about that since you've read about mine) & even now, after what my son experienced, unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if he continued on in his "pursuit of happiness" as he perceives it, by moving on to something newer & more potent. My husband & I obviously have had no effect on him even though we've spent years telling him about these dangers & providing a very good environment for him to grow up in. Further, living in NY I had no idea where the hell I could purchase a gun, but here in PA which is FULL of hunters, I can go into Gander Mountain, Cabella's, Dick's, Wal-Mart, etc., & purchase a gun right there. Just like i-pods & cell phones apparently, you ain't nobody here without a gun -- preferably one w/a lot of flash. As I said previously, after all my years of living, my husband & I NEVER, NEVER thought we be living thru this via our son. Now, we ARE those people we've seen on TV thinking "that would never happen to us".

Old 10-21-2008, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsky View Post
And no matter what, if you were in law enforcement you KNOW marijuana is a gateway drug.
i'll let you know i created an account just so i could reply to this.

Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug and it just shows that you are ignorant to say so. There is nothing it possesses that makes you want to try another drug. no more than alcohol or cigarettes. if ANYTHING the prohibition makes it worse by it being many peoples first "illegal" drug.

sure weed was one of my first drugs i tired. but i tried it after caffeine, cigarettes, alcohol, DXM, and adderall. ALL which are worse for you and some are actually addictive (cigarettes, alcohol, adderall, caffeine).

for me drugs are an experience and i have a try everything once mentality (there are certain drugs i will never try though).

But seriously, marijuana is NOT a gateway drug, and if it might happen to be for someone it is more likely from the prohibition of it. If it were legal and regulated like cigarettes and alcohol, it wouldn't lead to drug dealers trying to get you hooked on the harder drugs and what not.

so i hoped i shed some light on this. many people are ignorant when it comes to marijuana. so don't blame yourself, blame the government for that. they are the ones that want it to seem like some evil weed created by the devil.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,201 times
I dunno, but I pretend to have glacoma(sp?)

Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 PM

27 posts, read 37,734 times
Marijuana - Telling Teenagers the Truth about Smoking Pot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania