Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,437 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info on Montrose. Now can anyone tell me where I can find some pictures of York, Hershey, Columbia and Carlisle downtown areas? I also need to know which area is better for public schools. I love the look of Strasburg, but I think it's in the Lancaster school district, and I've heard that's horrible. I need to figure this out soon and move in the next week, before school starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM

92 posts, read 393,776 times
There are a ton of walkers in our neighborhood. Indian Creek in Mechanicsburg, PA about 15 minutes outside of Harrisburg. There are always children running around outside, people walking and biking and part of our neighborhood is on the creek. In general most people take pride in their yards. It is a very nice neighborhood with a range of home ages. 2 of them are from the 1800's with the rest dating 1960's, 70's, 80's, etc. several of which were just built in the last few years.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 37,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
gankaku, i've been posting about my own upcoming move to Montrose, PA, inspired by what i feel has been the ultimate aesthetic experience i've ever had. so, i encourage you to quit your job, sell your home, pack up your car, and wave bye bye to old Harrisburg and come on up to Montrose where big open lands roll and trees and flowers pour their colors in the grass.
Well that sounds lovely Jimmy! Thanks for your post and I'll look into it.

We moved from Va just because we wanted something new and different, as well as cheaper. We've been wanting to leave there for awhile, and prices got too high, and the kids have friends here so now was the time. We picked here in Harrisburg mostly because it's still close to VA (my husband still has work there) and because we also knew people.

I have a feeling this area could be a transition for us; unless we find a little nook here that we just fall in love with, we will probably move on eventually.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:26 AM

8 posts, read 37,180 times
Dan, selamat pagi! Terimah kasih for the hiking and running areas. I can't go daily but maybe that'll be enough if I go there to one of them once a week to balance out the lack of beauty around my apartment building Man you know a lot of stuff! You're full of good info.

Jimmy those are pretty pictures of Montrose! I'd definitely like to visit!

We also went to New Jersey this past weekend. There were some nice towns along the way in PA and Delaware. Brandywine seemed like a really nice area, as did a few of the other towns we drove through but had no idea what they were called. We'll be taking that way again to just look around since there were really some interesting looking towns there.

Last edited by Gankaku; 08-15-2007 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: general grammar fix

Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 PM

223 posts, read 796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Oh, sorry! Actually, we got a bit off-track in this thread. LOL! Montrose is nowhere near Harrisburg. It's actually about 45 minutes north of Scranton via I-81, which would put it nearly three hours away from Harrisburg. It has the sense of the perfect Vermont village with its town green, blueberry festival, and one-block Main Street that slopes up a hill towards the county courthouse. There's not much to do in the immediate area in terms of being a vacation spot, but it's a nice place to visit for a day-trip or a romantic weekend getaway.
wow, now those are some excellent photos you got there, scrantonwilkesbarre, thanks!!! makes my up and coming move to Montrose all the more exciting. and...um...i hope you mean that it's is a nice place to be for more than one day too! lol!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,481 times
Midtown is a great place to live. I moved here from East Falls about two years ago and love it. Buy a canoe and store it in yoru basement and take it out to the Susquehanna. There's nothing better than that. You have access to Philadelphia (2hrs) and NYC (3.5hrs) via Amtrak. Hop on the train and relax. Biking along the river is also a highlight, especially with a beautiful sunset over the West shore mountains.

Rob

Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
I think two of my favorite places in Pa. are Doylestown and Newtown.
Some smaller areas around there are nice too like Furlong, and Buckingham.........
I love that the towns are well kept. The stores are active, the streets are safe and
friendly. Welcoming.
Outside of town, there is farmlands and there is growth. But, the home sites are not all cookie cutter, nor crowded in.
They also are a decent trip to Philly or NYC.
The weather is a bit warmer then the Northern reaches of Pa.
There are a lot of towns I like in Pa. though. I'm quite happy in my hometown too!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 83,759 times
Wellsboro is the nicest town I've seen in Pa so far. It has a real New England feel to it. And the PA Grand Canyon is right nearby.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blcapdee View Post
Wellsboro is the nicest town I've seen in Pa so far. It has a real New England feel to it. And the PA Grand Canyon is right nearby.
I concur. Lewisburg is a close second.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:32 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,044 times
Default gcop

speaking of awesome places

a) grand canyon of pennsylvania, tioga county (3 hours north)

b) hyner view state park, clinton county (3 hours north)

c) wellsboro, tioga county.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Prettiest Places-dsc02089.jpg   Looking for Prettiest Places-dsc02192.jpg   Looking for Prettiest Places-dsc02109.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania