Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:54 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If your livelihood was not tied to an area of excellent economic prospects, would you still want to live in a "happening city" or would you like to disappear into the backwoods of a rural place like the "Pennsyltucky" parts of PA?
Happening city, hands-down. I want to be able to walk to festivals, grocers, a local news stand, museums, that sort of thing. I also like having the architecture and culture of a big city around me. Having spent most of my life in the country (where going to the market took an hour and a three-acre yard was tiny), I can definitely say that rural life isn't for me.

Harrisburg doesn't quite fit this bill, but it compensates in many other ways.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I don't like cities so I'll take the country any day. Point is, tho' Pennsylvania has both, and lots in between.

You don't like PA, fine. Not everyone does. You moved out, great. Nobody should live where they don't want to be, and I admire your having the gumption for moving. Just don't expect everyone to share your hate. It's yours, not ours.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Point is, tho' Pennsylvania has both, and lots in between.
That's what I really don't get. A friendly debate about the merits of both is fine, but some people act mortally wounded if another poster suggests they would prefer one over the other.

Pennsylvania can give you hirise living in downtown Philadelphia, log-cabin living in the middle of Potter County, and everything in-between.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythewise View Post
Is it the potholes in the road?
Is it the neverending road construction projects?
Is it the below-average salary in most job areas?
Is it the uneducated idiots with a chip on their shoulder?
Is it the fact that it only has one semi-modern city?
Is it the high murder rate of Filthadelphia? Reading?
Would you vacation here for more than a day?
Is it the awful regional cuisine?
Is it the dumb dutch culture? (I use the word 'culture' sparingly)

And to those who moved out of PA, how long did it take you to Detox
PA from your system? Don't be afraid these hicks can't harm you anymore.

Exactly.
As far as the never ending road construction that's because PA has more miles of roads than any other state in the country. That road construction is how myself along with others earn an income. Uneducated idiots with a chip on their shoulder; I agree completely. The "backwoods" mentality is popular here. Why? I have no clue. Where is the awful cuisine you talk about? I moved out of PA but did move back. I would like to move again someday, but right now with the economy the way it is I'm leary. PA does have one the lower unemployment rates. Pros and cons no matter where you live

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As far as the never ending road construction that's because PA has more miles of roads than any other state in the country. That road construction is how myself along with others earn an income. Uneducated idiots with a chip on their shoulder; I agree completely. The "backwoods" mentality is popular here. Why? I have no clue. Where is the awful cuisine you talk about? I moved out of PA but did move back. I would like to move again someday, but right now with the economy the way it is I'm leary. PA does have one the lower unemployment rates. Pros and cons no matter where you live
You know, I find it funny that people constantly complain about the roads in Pennsylvania. I have logged tens of thousands of miles on Pennsylvania roads and I don't see what's so bad about them. There was one very small stretch of interstate highway that was so bad that I wrote to PennDOT to complain about it, once... but that's out of how many hundreds of miles of interstate highway that I've seen?

People who complain about the roads in Pennsylvania have never been to New Jersey. I've never seen worse roads in my life! In all honesty, if you factor out the famous road construction, PA roads are not that bad. They could stand to add "access roads" to the major highways like southern states do... at least then if there's a traffic jam, you might stand a chance of being able to get where you have to go, a bit faster than you would if you were stuck on the clogged interstate.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
People who complain about the roads in Pennsylvania have never been to New Jersey. I've never seen worse roads in my life! In all honesty, if you factor out the famous road construction, PA roads are not that bad. They could stand to add "access roads" to the major highways like southern states do... at least then if there's a traffic jam, you might stand a chance of being able to get where you have to go, a bit faster than you would if you were stuck on the clogged interstate.
It appears that they will in certain places along I-83 on the south side of Harrisburg.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythewise View Post
Is it the potholes in the road?
Is it the neverending road construction projects?
Is it the below-average salary in most job areas?
Is it the uneducated idiots with a chip on their shoulder?
Is it the fact that it only has one semi-modern city?
Is it the high murder rate of Filthadelphia? Reading?
Would you vacation here for more than a day?
Is it the awful regional cuisine?
Is it the dumb dutch culture? (I use the word 'culture' sparingly)

And to those who moved out of PA, how long did it take you to Detox
PA from your system? Don't be afraid these hicks can't harm you anymore.

Exactly.
It's the whiners who spend all of their time complaining

Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's the whiners who spend all of their time complaining
And notice he still hasn't returned since his OP.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Too many liberals moving here from NJ, MD, and NY

Old 08-27-2011, 03:14 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Too many liberals moving here from NJ, MD, and NY
You DO mean NYC I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania