Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
There is one thing I think sucks about Pennsylvania, lack of gainful employment for unskilled working class people. This is not unique to Pennsylvania, so the other 50 states “suck” equally as well.

The reason why it sucks so bad for me is that I was born in 65, so I well remember all the factories that dotted even the smallest of towns. I’ve seen the change, and I am deeply saddened that we’re part of the rustbelt. Moreover, I used to be one of those high paid union factory workers for ten years of my life, so it's especially personal for me.
This I will definitely agree with. At the same time, I think this can be fixed once we take a real look at being more energy efficient and friendly to the environment in everything we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Let me ask you all a question... those who love PA and those who hate PA.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I have lived in three different areas of PA and I always loved it as a younger fellow. I moved to the South because I was tired of the economic devastation that was characteristic of the area where I lived... and the long, cold, snowy winters didn't help matters much either.

If your livelihood was not tied to an area of excellent economic prospects, would you still want to live in a "happening city" or would you like to disappear into the backwoods of a rural place like the "Pennsyltucky" parts of PA?

It really would be interesting to see what people would say to this question, across the nation. After all, if you could make a good living no matter where you lived, who would really want to live in a polluted, stinky, congested, expensive city?
City. I've never lived in a non-urban area and I never could. I'd go crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
pretty much all of that. who would vacation in pa???

i lived there a few years back. then i moved to nh, best move i ever made. people in pa are backwards. im originally from new england anyway, so i might be biased, but people in pa were generally not as intelligent.

i drove through harrisburg a few years ago. i actually got lost, if i didn't know any better, i would have thought that i wasn't even in america. it looked like a third world country. most cities at least have a good amount of "nice" areas. harrisburg was a straight up combat zone.

and people in pa are not friendly. in nh, people are much nicer and down to earth. pa people seem to be two-faced and alienated by everyone who doesn't share the same backwards view as them. i've been in NH for three years, and there is no going back. i got mountains, the beach, and boston. all three are less than an hour away! what does pa have? poconos and shoefly pie? big whoop. i did like yuengling lager though, that was some good stuff
It's hilarious how hard you spoiled, unimpressive New England types try to insult places like PA and the cities within them.

Also, if you think Harrisburg is a warzone then you are a word that I can't use because it will get censored but that means a coward and rhymes with cushy.

Nobody's impressed by you or where you come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
There are political threads for political topics. And if you want to discuss Pennsylvania politics, feel free to start a new thread. You feel that "the liberals" have ruined your life, fine -- post away. Knock yourself out. But stop crapping this thread up with general politics.

If we wanted to read wharbargl about whose favorite political party did what to whom, we'd be in the politics thread.

I'm sick and tired of seeing the far-right and far-left extremists hijack every thread they come across to serve their own personal agenda, and I know I'm not the only one.
Completely agree.

In fact, make that sick and tired of people who can't make a point without resorting to tactics or insulting others or whatever other crap.

Oh, and by the way, I'm definitely impressed with what the smaller cities in PA are doing. I think Harrisburg actually benefits too from not being able to get to Philly more quickly by rail because it means people stick around there and gives your city more of a market to cater to that allows you to do "big city" things in a smaller place. Same with Allentown and elsewhere. Even Lancaster seems like a place that's doing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
You're right, and I think this is nothing more than the modern-day incarnation of "back in my day, you could fill up your car for a nickel and kids respected their parents!"

Times weren't that great 50 years ago or even 100 years ago, but some folks aren't interested in reality. If they can blame someone else for their problems, they'll do so. This is hardly unique to Pennsylvania, however.
What's different is the people. Adults used to actually be adults back then. Now we have people like StackHouse and LovetoGolf and others who act like they're six no matter how old they get.

Quote:
wow, you need to calm down, DUDe. i posted this for the benefit of others who are considering moving to the state. so they dont make the same mistake i did. dont get me wrong, there are people like you in NH, whom i despise(easily alienated, thin skinned), but there seems to be a lesser concentration up here. contrary to what you believe, ex residents do have a right to share their experiences, or nightmares. it's all relative, there are rednecks, racists, and neanderthals up here too, but they seem to pronounce their presence more in pa. i'm not asking anyone to sympathize with my situational plight in pa at the time. i don't care. i'm just sharing my experience. i get it, you have patriotism for your state. therefore, you're a keyboard warrior in case anyone like me comes along and bashes the state for it's terrible roads, lousy wages, privilege to work taxes, less civilized people(especially in perry county, jesus). i could go on, but what's the point? you will continue with your venomous retorts and childish "we're glad you left, hopefully the door hit you in the ***** on the way out" rhetoric.

you got something to say? say it. that's what i don't get about pennsyltuckians, so indecisive and passive-aggressive. spit it out, i can take it. obviously the OP can too if he made a whole thread about it. i'm not the one who made a thread about how much pa sucks. i am just contributing and reiterating what others have already said. there is a reason why the pa population has remained steady since the 70s and has not grown as much as other states in the mid-atlantic. blame pittsburgh and the rust belt partially. and then blame the reduced quality of life compared to other areas of the northeast as a result of slave-driving wages.
I don't know which PA people you've run into, but the people in and around Philly will mess you up. We don't mess around and we are anything but passive-aggressive.

Seriously, you think anybody respects New Englanders? You're soft to us. Don't make me laugh with this copping an attitude stuff, dude. You couldn't in a million years back it up, sweetheart.

Quote:
economic boom? thanks for the laugh. you use population as the basis for economic prosperity. this groundbreaking urban structure works so well for the city of filthadelphia. the city of detroit has roughly the same population as the state of NH. their economy must mirror ours, right?

i dont want to go toe to toe on economic achievements, NH has more diverse industries that has allowed it to boast a low unemployment rate even in these economic times. i have lived in PA. economic boom? boy, i must have been late to that party, or swap-meet
Yup, you're just so intelligent.

Oh, and by the way.. the majority of people in those "fit" cities have pathetic, average bodies and couldn't last a day in a real city where you have to actually be muscular by the time you're in your teens unless you want to not be able to defend yourself. I guarantee you I know more people with chiseled bodies that don't look like teenage ones (including myself) than you could find in your entire state.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
What the heck are you talking about, OP? Our opinion of why PA sucks so bad? I've never heard anyone say that. They might think that about an individual town, say a remote upstate town or a manufacturing town that's seen better days, but no one says, "I've got to get OUT of Pennsylvania, just because....it's Pennsylvania!!!". Our state is fairly well-run and has a broad mix of people, ethniticies, cities, towns, rural areas, mountains, rivers and lots of beautiful scenery, and fairly moderate weather. Granted, I've only lived in two other states -- CA and NJ and p/t in FL. CA's weather is great but is going broke, NJ is a bureaucracy and tax nightmare, and FL seems to attract gangs and homeless. So you'll have to enlighten me on what states I should be fleeing PA for.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Granted, I've only lived in two other states -- CA and NJ and p/t in FL. CA's weather is great but is going broke, NJ is a bureaucracy and tax nightmare, and FL seems to attract gangs and homeless. So you'll have to enlighten me on what states I should be fleeing PA for.
Gangs are all over, not just in Florida. Plenty in PA too, along with Skinheads and White Supremacist movements. You can add homeless to the list as well along with rednecks and etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Gangs are all over, not just in Florida. Plenty in PA too, along with Skinheads and White Supremacist movements. You can add homeless to the list as well along with rednecks and etc.
You can find plenty more Skinheads and White Supremacists outside of PA than in it. You can also find homeless and rednecks in every single state.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
You can find plenty more Skinheads and White Supremacists outside of PA than in it. You can also find homeless and rednecks in every single state.
Pennsyltucky is full of them aside from the homeless which are not very common in the rural parts, even in the smaller cities I never seen them as obvious as Philly or Pittsburgh. Also the PA Welfare system is so good that Section 8 and bennies can support generations.

The Supremacists just don't wear white pillow covers over their heads and/or shave their heads, it's more of xenophobic condition on the mass scale. I saw it growing up there and though it's changing, it's happening very slowly.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
pretty much all of that. who would vacation in pa???

i lived there a few years back. then i moved to nh, best move i ever made. people in pa are backwards. im originally from new england anyway, so i might be biased, but people in pa were generally not as intelligent.

i drove through harrisburg a few years ago. i actually got lost, if i didn't know any better, i would have thought that i wasn't even in america. it looked like a third world country. most cities at least have a good amount of "nice" areas. harrisburg was a straight up combat zone.

and people in pa are not friendly. in nh, people are much nicer and down to earth. pa people seem to be two-faced and alienated by everyone who doesn't share the same backwards view as them. i've been in NH for three years, and there is no going back. i got mountains, the beach, and boston. all three are less than an hour away! what does pa have? poconos and shoefly pie? big whoop. i did like yuengling lager though, that was some good stuff
Hey genius, I can tell you're so smart by your impressive grammar. Thank the heavens we have you as such a stunning example of New Hampshire. Must be a wonderful place if everybody is as nice and "down to Earth" as you!

Gee whiz, what I wouldn't give to have such a brilliant mind like yours. Gosh.

FYI: People like you make me hate New England. I'm tired of being associated with your sort just because I'm originally from the northeast.

You know what southerners think of when they talk down on Yankees? Intolerable personalities like yours.

You are an example of exactly why I despise my home state of New York ever being lumped in with it's neighbors to the east by outsiders.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
PA is kind of a bland state when comparing it to sunny and sassy states like california, florida, arizona, texas, etc. Well.....Texas is different.

PA is old. It's very old. I agree about the whole stupid dutch culture. It's so lame. It really is.
I rather it be a latin culture or something a bit more interesting. Dutch Pennsylvania culture is boring. It involves farms, plowing fields, and boring dutch crap.

I want the slick sexiness of Miami. The urbaness of NYC, the gaudiness of Vegas. The style of LA. The weather of San Diego. The newness of Phoenix. The over-the-top largeness of Texas. The culture of San Fran.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Here's why Pennsylvania sucks so bad. The state has obviously not learned its lesson from the environmental devastation from anthracite coal mining. Now it's going to start all over again with fracking. Anybody who appreciates the natural beauty of upstate PA better go see it now before it's permanently ruined. Also, don't drink the well water. So, so, so sad.

Let me first say that I do not dislike PA, nor do I think that it "sucks." I think it's a naturally beautiful, culturally diverse, state rich in history, cultural and educational opportunities. I live here, I moved here, and if I did not love PA, and enjoy living here, I would move.

I do agree that Pennsylvania did not learn from the social, economic and environmental devastation wrought by anthracite coal mining.
Indeed, some Pennsylvanians are looking for a "Knight in Shining Armor."
- an industry that will supply jobs to people without the necessity of an education, and without concern for their own health or the safety to the environment and to future generations.

If people continue to search for short term solutions, ignore education as a means of economic advancement and rely upon the "benevolence" of industry, they are nothing short of foolish.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
PA is kind of a bland state when comparing it to sunny and sassy states like california, florida, arizona, texas, etc. Well.....Texas is different.

PA is old. It's very old. I agree about the whole stupid dutch culture. It's so lame. It really is.
I rather it be a latin culture or something a bit more interesting. Dutch Pennsylvania culture is boring. It involves farms, plowing fields, and boring dutch crap.

I want the slick sexiness of Miami. The urbaness of NYC, the gaudiness of Vegas. The style of LA. The weather of San Diego. The newness of Phoenix. The over-the-top largeness of Texas. The culture of San Fran.
If this is sarcasm, then it's very well-done.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
LMAO at "boring dutch crap".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania