Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM

14 posts, read 26,823 times

Advertisements

I am a black 20 something medical processional from a beautiful neighborhood in NYC (Riverdale/Bronx). My husband is a 20 something financial analyst from a Japanese island and working from home. We are looking for a cleaner environment for a few years. Are there any restaurants: Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc. (Anything but Italian). Are there Asian/Subcontinental supermarkets? Are there any upper middle class neighborhoods that anyone can suggest. Generally we are quite busy with work and school and want a place to BBQ and relax, but we would like some options outside of the house.

I also eat mostly organic. Are there any specialty food stores that can rival a small scale Whole Foods. Wegmanns looks like a great supermarket.

Last edited by miaara; 08-25-2011 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: graphic from copy and pasting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 PM

102 posts, read 306,392 times
There is (from what I've heard) a fantastic Thai restaurant called Pineapple something or other-- on Washington Blvd right beside the Wendy's. I don't think there are any ethnic grocery stores anywhere, but there are some "whole foods" type of markets. I can't think of any Japanese restaurants that aren't chains, but there are quite a few Chinese restaurants.

You should definitely look at Loyalsock-- it's the more "desirable" area of Williamsport, still in town, but niceer houses, manicured lawns, good schools.

We lived in Williamsport for 4 years, and in the vicinity for 6. If you want to know anything more specific, ask away.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:11 AM

226 posts, read 760,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFMomma View Post
There is (from what I've heard) a fantastic Thai restaurant called Pineapple something or other-- on Washington Blvd right beside the Wendy's. I don't think there are any ethnic grocery stores anywhere, but there are some "whole foods" type of markets. I can't think of any Japanese restaurants that aren't chains, but there are quite a few Chinese restaurants.

You should definitely look at Loyalsock-- it's the more "desirable" area of Williamsport, still in town, but niceer houses, manicured lawns, good schools.

We lived in Williamsport for 4 years, and in the vicinity for 6. If you want to know anything more specific, ask away.
I would highly recommend Jasmine Chinese and Thai Cuisine (formerly Pineapple Grill) and Ichiban Janapese Cuisine. Joy Thai Cuisine is another opinion.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaara View Post
I am a black 20 something medical processional from a beautiful neighborhood in NYC (Riverdale/Bronx). My husband is a 20 something financial analyst from a Japanese island and working from home. We are looking for a cleaner environment for a few years. Are there any restaurants: Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc. (Anything but Italian). Are there Asian/Subcontinental supermarkets? Are there any upper middle class neighborhoods that anyone can suggest. Generally we are quite busy with work and school and want a place to BBQ and relax, but we would like some options outside of the house.

I also eat mostly organic. Are there any specialty food stores that can rival a small scale Whole Foods. Wegmanns looks like a great supermarket.
Williamsport is going to be a major step down in population size of course, so many of the amenities you may expect don't exist.

However, for it's size I think there is good options on offer. In the summer there will be lots of local produce or options of getting local Amish foodstuffs. In town there is a place called Tony's Delicatessen that has some great meats and other goods.

Wegman's is excellent with a lot on offer. I think there is plenty of organic stuff there without the big cost of a Whole Paycheck store.

Williamsport was once the richest town in America in the 1800's, so there are a lot of older large homes.

However you can drive 5-10 minutes from downtown and be in rural PA.

Williamsport was a dying town but the recent gas industry boom has brought some business to town. Downtown is cleaned up a lot.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Williamsport is going to be a major step down in population size of course, so many of the amenities you may expect don't exist.

However, for it's size I think there is good options on offer. In the summer there will be lots of local produce or options of getting local Amish foodstuffs. In town there is a place called Tony's Delicatessen that has some great meats and other goods.

Wegman's is excellent with a lot on offer. I think there is plenty of organic stuff there without the big cost of a Whole Paycheck store.

Williamsport was once the richest town in America in the 1800's, so there are a lot of older large homes.

However you can drive 5-10 minutes from downtown and be in rural PA.

Williamsport was a dying town but the recent gas industry boom has brought some business to town. Downtown is cleaned up a lot.
Thank you for the info! I love Amish markets.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMar View Post
I would highly recommend Jasmine Chinese and Thai Cuisine (formerly Pineapple Grill) and Ichiban Janapese Cuisine. Joy Thai Cuisine is another opinion.
I need a good Chinese place to survive!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaara View Post
I need a good Chinese place to survive!
How about Walmart or China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania