U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,601 times
Default YORK, PA Demolished neighborhood Rt. 30?

Hey everyone, I have a very important question about York, PA.

I'm not entirely too familiar with the area, but my boyfriend and I were driving through on Rt. 30 West, towards Philly. Around the 83 Junction, we noticed several rows of completely abandoned and dilapidated homes on the righthand side of the road.

These houses were located on Toronita Street, 10th and 11th Avenues, and Kirkland Alley.

What happened? Were there plans for some kind of construction that never went through? Why did an entire neighborhood get evicted? I found one news article on it, but there was no reason for the abandonment.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. We love driving on Rt 30, and think that this is just another terribly depressing tale of the industrial sprawl.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,111,444 times
moosedenied - This is sooo very strange to see your post.

I happened to be out that way just yesterday and noticed the houses you are talking about. It looks awful! I'm not in York full-time, so I don't have a clue what is going on there. York should be ashamed.

The weird thing is that each place looks as if someone dissected the structures. I wondered if a fire department was using them for something. I dunno. Almost looked like a set from a horror movie.

I'm curious about them myself. That stretch of RT30 isn't such a great view to begin with, but geeesh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosedenied View Post
Hey everyone, I have a very important question about York, PA.

I'm not entirely too familiar with the area, but my boyfriend and I were driving through on Rt. 30 West, towards Philly. Around the 83 Junction, we noticed several rows of completely abandoned and dilapidated homes on the righthand side of the road.

These houses were located on Toronita Street, 10th and 11th Avenues, and Kirkland Alley.

What happened? Were there plans for some kind of construction that never went through? Why did an entire neighborhood get evicted? I found one news article on it, but there was no reason for the abandonment.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. We love driving on Rt 30, and think that this is just another terribly depressing tale of the industrial sprawl.

Thank you!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 AM

261 posts, read 708,475 times
They are tearing these homes down to build a new shopping center.

Last edited by talk2u; 08-22-2007 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 AM

87 posts, read 264,831 times
Yeah they are putting a shopping center in but I haven't seen much else about it as far as what businesses etc. Its only been about 5 months or so that the homes have been vacant but they weren't very attractive before anyways so it'll be an improvement eventually

I wonder if the homes were taken through eminent domain...I am sure that has to be filed somewhere but couldn't find reference online anywhere.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,111,444 times
When that road was planned (I think it opened in 1968), it was supposed to be a bypass around York. I'm so dern old, I remember the duddleopps where Arsenal Road went across George St. I still want to call Market St. Rt30.

I'm surprised the developer didn't have a time limit imposed. What stores are going in?

Anyway, the original plan was limited access. Just what that corridor needs. Another strip mall....especially there at the Rt.83 exit. I wonder if they'll put a north bound ramp for 83 from the east bound lane of 30?

Looked to me as if the Bob Evans is gone.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,755,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
When that road was planned (I think it opened in 1968), it was supposed to be a bypass around York. I'm so dern old, I remember the duddleopps where Arsenal Road went across George St. I still want to call Market St. Rt30.

I'm surprised the developer didn't have a time limit imposed. What stores are going in?

Anyway, the original plan was limited access. Just what that corridor needs. Another strip mall....especially there at the Rt.83 exit. I wonder if they'll put a north bound ramp for 83 from the east bound lane of 30?

Looked to me as if the Bob Evans is gone.
Given 30 only takes about 50 some thousand cars a day given it's 6 lanes, a limited access would be a really good thing, particularly for through traffic. There are highways of greater volumes on 4 lane limited access (Reading's 422 has 80 some thousand a day and is only 4 lanes).

Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,601 times
There's this article a friend of ours found:

The York Daily Record - Razing for retail

It indeed was used for firefighters in the past few months

Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
The homes were torn down a few months back. Nothing but weeds growing there now. The homes were bought for a "fair" price is what one of the home owners told me. Last I heard, "Round The Clock" diner was going to build a bigger resturant on the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania