Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
It really does make you wonder how these clowns would be acting if it was their little brother instead of someone they don't know.
Exactly. If they want to riot, they should be grabbing pitchforks, torches, tar, and feathers, and heading over to Sandusky's house. Not boo-hooing over a football coach who turned a blind eye to child molestation. I'm a sports fan, but some people take it to an extreme. When it all comes down to it, its just a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Still kind of shocked by the board decision, but I'm sure they have access to more info than the rest of us. One disturbing thing I heard come out yesterday is this talk of the death penalty for PSU's football team. To me it is ridiculous even to bring this up. This scandal has nothing to do with the team itself and everything to do with the staff. Punishing dozens of athletes for something they had nothing to do with would an absolute disgrace. Fire the whole coaching staff if that is what is necessary, but don't destroy the lives of students just to try and compensate for the failure of others.
This issues shows us that many view football more important than any other concern of life.

It shows us that this game is more important to be preserved than the welfare of children.

It shows us that we have educational institutions that spend their effort of promoting a game vs. educating and building moral character. As this rioting shows, there are many students who are disgusting microcosm of the society where a game becomes the main focus of life. These students go out of these colleges with degrees but no education.

They go into life and pass their defective and deficient values to the children and lack the morals and good judgement in jobs and carry forth the behavior of avoiding responsibilities, like these college administrators, in jobs in government and business, putting the "game" of dollars ahead of proper conduct.

It all starts by putting the game and money of football above our need to develop an educated populous with good moral values. That is why this incident is going to be a big turning point, and we are going to look at the whole disgusting industry of the culture of football.

If I was there I would scream in the face of Paterno:

CHILDREN FIRST!

and I would ask others, including other responsible students, who are also disgusted by the behavior this university, other universities high schools and communities, to add their voice to this loud national scream:

CHILDREN FIRST! and FOOTBALL AND MONEY LAST!

There are many us, who are not going to be silent about football. We need to start, now, to end this disgusting culture.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-10-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I didn't see where Paterno is the Devil here . It looks like he has nothing to do with this . He had nothing to do with the children .
How you folks somehow blame Paterno , I don't know .

Because he knew that his colleague and friend was getting away with molesting little boys for years, and did nothing about it. Reporting it to the higher-ups at PSU wasn't enough. Of course they swept it under the rug because they wanted to prevent what's going on right now, or at least delay the fallout for as long as they could. We're talking about one of the most prestigious institutions in all of college sports here.

The smartest thing for Joe Paterno to do would have been report it to the real police after it became obvious that the university just wanted to make it go away. This scandal was going to break one way or another, and had it happened back in 2002, it would have been all over and done with now. Joepa would be viewed as even more of a saint in the end, and he'd still have his job today. But no......Instead he kept quiet while his buddy was slapped on the wrist and told by the university that he'll have to molest children off-campus basically.

Despite his accomplishments, he got what he deserves in my opinion. I have zero tolerance for pedophiles or the people who protect them with their silence. Maybe Joepa thought he was protecting the university rather than Jerry Sandusky by keeping quiet, but to me....that's 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other....Doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Screw Joepa. I hope his name becomes synonymous with Jerry Sandusky's and his crimes.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM

482 posts, read 1,229,870 times
One of the better columns I've read about this today:

Penn State's Joe Paterno gets what he deserves

Quote:
[LEFT]Several e-mailers demand, "Have you ever heard of due process?"

The due process I've heard of involves a justice system and a legal trial. Paterno faces no legal action or charge. Legally, his rear end is covered.

But there was no trial when Paterno was sainted, no jury declared him one of the noblest and finest college coaches of all time. The public decided.

It's the same deal on the flip side. We'll take the facts and form them into our personal legacy of Joe Paterno.
[/LEFT]

Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,659,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I am ashamed to be a PSU grad this week. This is a big black hole in the PSU history and going to keep a mark for decades to come. I will say that I never cared about college football. Even when I went to school there. I was one of the very few that didn't go to games or care about a football team. I wanted my degree and get out of Happy Valley.
Agreeds and I felt the same way about it when I was there.

And when I worked for Domino's, I once delivered $39.50 worth of pizzas to JoePa's house and he gave me $40 and told me to, "keep the change." Cheapskate.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

A new word will now appear in our English Language Dictionary:

joe-pa\jo-pa\ syn paterno\pa-ter-no\ n (2011) 1. a person who exhibits a behavior of denial in face of overwhelming evidence 2...avoids moral responsibilities 3...puts money over proper behavior adj--1. having characteristics of denial of criminal and/or immoral acts 2. an action for wealth regardless of values v.--doing immoral actions

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-10-2011 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
JoePa may not have problems finding another job...the Catholic church may be willing to make him a bishop, he already has extensive experience in an important aspect of the job...protecting child molestors.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Many of us are no longer going to do a joepa and look the other way

CHILDREN FIRST...VALUES FIRST...EDUCATION FIRST...FOOTBALL AND MONEY LAST

Livecontent

Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,191,166 times
Penn State unravels after Paterno bounced - CNN.com

The height of immaturity: Support for someone who turned a blind eye to the rape of young children.

One day, many of these same students will be parents. How many of them will then look back at their behavior with embarrassment and shame?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,063,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Penn State unravels after Paterno bounced - CNN.com

The height of immaturity: Support for someone who turned a blind eye to the rape of young children.

One day, many of these same students will be parents. How many of them will then look back at their behavior with embarrassment and shame?
At the rate this country is going into the toilet? Not that many. That would require self-awareness, introspection, and concern for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania