U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,352,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Yikes!!!!

Your hate for football is clouding your judgement here.

Just because you don't care for the game you choose to take that pleasure from others. Very closed minded, IMO. I love music but don't care for Opera. Does that mean I have the right to DICTATE that it is bad and others shouldn't enjoy it?

But, you have lost track of the fact that Paterno was fired and at least according to the Grand Jury report IMO he was not responsible. I guess in your eyes he's bad because he enjoys football. If everyone that enjoys football gets fired tomorrow our unemployment problems will be solved. But our freedoms will certainly be diminished as well.
This idiot Paterno was fired because he was deemed responsible, maybe not to the criminal code but certainly morally. That is the best the University and the public can do now but it is not ended. However, what can you expect from an overpaid college coach whose only myopic view is a game and the total defense of his football kingdom. So, it is the same for these fans with their narrow view of life and its amusements, that the abuse of children matters not.

The next thing you will see, just like people caught doing dastardly deeds and seek support and saying they found jesus, Paterno will seek sympathy by next appearing in a wheelchair and that we all caused his stroke. Yea, we will see that! Why not, age will take him and perhaps his denial will take him, but I doubt he knows guilt, just anger at the people who took his legacy and power away.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-10-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 PM

68,682 posts, read 57,401,479 times
Quote:
Maybe not, but I sure don't see any proof in the Grand Jury report either. Are we no longer innocent until proven guilty?

Working as a pediatric nurse, how do you feel about the way CPS handled this in 98? If you report something suspicious in your office don't you assume the proper agency will handle it?
CPS did a p***-poor job. They, too, were aware that pushing this case would be bad for the PSU football program. Again, you don't have any idea of how infuential Paterno is in that part of PA.

I don't know that we've ever had to ask for follow-up when we report something. We generally get some follow-up report from Child Protection.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,240,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This idiot Paterno was fired because he was deemed responsible, maybe not to the criminal code but certainly morally. That is the best the University and the public can do now but it is not ended. However, what can you expect from an overpaid college coach whose only myopic view is a game and the total defense of his football kingdom. So, it is the same for these fans with their narrow view of life and its amusements, that the abuse of children matters not.

The next thing you will see, just like people caught doing dastardly deeds and seek support and saying they found jesus, Paterno will seek sympathy by next appearing in a wheelchair and that we all caused his stroke. Yea, we will see that! Why not, age will take him and perhaps his denial will take him, but I doubt he knows guilt, just anger at the people who took his legacy and power away.

Livecontent

Very closed minded is all I can say. Or as you may put it, your myopic view of football and the people who watch it is ruining your life. It may be wise to find things to enjoy in life rather than harboring such hatred for something others enjoy. Liking to watch football doesn't preclude liking other things. You appear to be the one with the narrow view.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CPS did a p***-poor job. They, too, were aware that pushing this case would be bad for the PSU football program. Again, you don't have any idea of how infuential Paterno is in that part of PA.

I don't know that we've ever had to ask for follow-up when we report something. We generally get some follow-up report from Child Protection.

I just don't believe that Paterno has that much influence on that many people. I realize that football is big in some areas but not to the point of breaking the law for the coach. Players get arrested all the time. paternos name wasn't even mentioned in the Grand Jury report other than to say he told the AD the day after he got the news. Were the members of the GJ complicit as well as CPS and the numerous others that thought things were suspicious at times?

In my mind, the grad student acted abhorrently in not stopping it at the time it was occurring. His father was no better. They should have gone to the police. They witnessed it for crap sake.

And if people in CPS looked the other way because of the football program they should be involved as well. But even the GJ didn't bring Paterno in to it so I just don't get it.

livecontent implies that people eat, drink sleep, and breathe football. If that is the case, Paterno passed on the news he had received and went back to his job of coaching thinking that CPS would do their job as well.

I just can't be convinced that all of CPS, Campus Security, and all those serving on the Grand Jury would be so blinded by football that they wouldn't stand up to Paterno if he was complicit. But then again, we had a President that was diddling in the Oval office and lied to the Grand Jury and nothing happened to him, so I guess nothing surprises me anymore. And yes, I realize that was consensual. He still lied to the Grand Jury though. I guess "it" just depends on how you look at it. I personally think things are nuts,

Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM

2,433 posts, read 1,732,091 times
Quote:
I am well aware of the money.

That is not the purpose of higher education. It is the purpose of these schools to raise the money by admitting unqualified applicants so they can knock their heads together to satisfy lust of primitive people in a circus arena.

It is not the purpose to raise money to fund overpaid and underworked college administrators with excessive salaries and pensions.

If that is the case and it is always about money to fund colleges and their programs, then let us put a red light over all the student dorms and sell those lush young bodies, by the hour, to raise money. That is ridiculous because the end does not justify the means. However, we are prostituting young men and using them, disabling them, giving them a minimal education,if that, to serve the drooling mindless public and at the same time saying it is all for a good cause--to raise money--all BS.
You have some serious issues. How do you think higher education would function without money? Do you think labs and classrooms would get built for free? Professors would take no salary? Everyone would sit around singing Kumbaya while holding hands? This is the real world. College tuition is already expensive enough. If sports helps pay the bills then all the better.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 PM

4,637 posts, read 4,504,119 times
I can't believe this is happening....What is wrong with America....Seriously

Ex Penn State University President Graham Spanier's Severance Package Could Reach Millions CBS Pittsburgh

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I can't believe this is happening....What is wrong with America....Seriously

Ex Penn State University President Graham Spanier's Severance Package Could Reach Millions CBS Pittsburgh

This is unbelievable. When you are fired from a job due to commiting a crime there should be no severance pay. This is sickening. And Penn State pays to defend the scumbag.

How do you feel about this livecontent? Or is it just the football and the fans you are against? This man was an administrator making $800,000 a year. He put his carreer above children. And now he walks with millions after being CONVICTED of a crime!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,352,077 times
Quote:
This is unbelievable. When you are fired from a job due to commiting a crime there should be no severance pay. This is sickening. And Penn State pays to defend the scumbag.

How do you feel about this livecontent? Or is it just the football and the fans you are against? This man was an administrator making $800,000 a year. He put his carreer above children. And now he walks with millions after being CONVICTED of a crime!
I share your disgust with this situation.

I want you to keep in mind that the reason that universities need so much money to operate is because there are many more of these type who get outrageous salaries and pension. As you can see they have these employment contracts, that protects them completely and gives them millions of dollars in severance.

Penn State in a public university that is funded by tax dollars and excessive tuition that is again funded by federal backed loans so the big bankers have no risk in giving loans. Student loans in one of the biggest financial obligations in this country and the taxpayers again pay for it and the bankers get richer.

So you are saying that football, a game, is necessary to further fund this organization. So as a fan, you end being the one who is giving your money to these overpaid administrators. Do you not feel like you are being played for a fool? They give you a circus for your amusement, and they take your money and laugh all the way to the bank.

Pay the administrators and special staff less; fire most of them because these universities are all overstaffed with fancy titled anachronistic positions; pay reasonable salaries and benefits; lower tuition; increase academic programs; make athletics more inclusive with more students versus less exclusive with pampered players with overindulged male sports. Above all lower taxes and demand these administrators run the institutions within budget, and not depending on constantly increasing tuition and tax subsidies.

This useless scum has not been convicted and his defense will be funded by the taxpayers.

So yes, I find this situation sickening.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-10-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,106,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Lest we forget, the real story here is a child sex-abuse coverup, not football. If he knew about his defensive co-ordinator's crimes and did little or nothing, I hope "JoePa" spends his retirement inside a prison cell.
HUH???!!! Are totally nuts?! Joe didn't do anything! He reported the molester to higher ups at the University! He didn't ignore anything and you think HE should go to jail?! Wow.

So, in your world, anyone who even KNOWS a sexual abuser should be in jail too?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,106,896 times
Quote:

Livecontent
Wow. Just wow. You are one sick puppy. Please seek help, you are way too angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania