Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 AM

10,293 posts, read 10,539,277 times

Advertisements

Why was Mike McQueary called before the grand jury in the first place? Did all PSU football coaches testify before the grand jury? If McQueary lied to Paterno, Curley and Schultz as some people are saying, then why did he tell all to the grand jury? He had nine years to think about the ramifications of what he didn't do at the time. If he would have told the grand jury the same thing that he told Paterno and the others, no one would have known that he didn't act to protect the child. Assuming that he told his father he witnessed anal sex, then the two of them had nine years to think about the reamifications when this became public. Something doesn't make sense. He goes from a rising star in D-1 football to virtually unhireable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,910,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Why was Mike McQueary called before the grand jury in the first place?
Because he was a witness.

Quote:
Did all PSU football coaches testify before the grand jury?
Because they weren't witnesses.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Because he was a witness.

Because they weren't witnesses.
I guess I don't know enough about how grand juries operate. So he was a witness and none of the other coaches were witnesses because he was the only one to admit what he knew, or no other coach had witnessed anything?

They had nine years to think about this. It appears McQueary felt he had no choice but to tell the investigators and grand jury the same truthful story of what he had witnessed even though he had to know what the repercussions would be. Curley and Schultz took the opposite approach and lied to the grand jury. Where doe this leave Paterno? He is the middleman in this exchange.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,391,611 times
You might want to read the Grand Jury report to clear up any confusion. McQueary allegedly walked in on Sandusky raping a boy in a PSU locker room shower. I dare say Sandusky was not expecting ANY coaches.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM

I read the entire grand jury report and that is why I am asking these questions. Sandusky didn't seem to be that concerned about being discovered in the locker room. He had already been discovered there engaging in inappropriate behavior at least once (the janitor in 2000).

Last edited by villageidiot1; 11-12-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,361,310 times
I don't understand it, either, Villageidiot1. I understand the grand jury investigation started after the one victim spoke out (there were so many victims, I sadly can't remember what number he was). But he wasn't the boy that was involved in the McQueary incident. So how did that incident even come out? It was never reported to campus or local police and they don't even know who the boy is. It was only reported to McQueary's father, then Paterno, then the few other PSU officials, and the story was watered-down every step of the way. So I can't figure out how the grand jury learned of that particular incident, unless there was something in Sandusky's personnel records about it? All I can say is, thank goodness it did come out.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,580,095 times
Maybe McQueary heard the grand jury was entering an investigation and he volunteered his testimony--
that puts a different face on his behavior to certain extent

Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Maybe McQueary heard the grand jury was entering an investigation and he volunteered his testimony--
that puts a different face on his behavior to certain extent
Would you volunteer your testimony knowing how your inaction would be viewed? He and his father had how many years to think about it.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,580,095 times
Now McQueary is "adjusting" what he is telling people in emails--
supposedly now he has sent email to friends and maybe some of the players he was coaching that says he did "stop" the assault..that he did not just run away

and that he spoke with police--
now maybe he means the head of the campus police--Schultz--the city police
the email has not been posted--just referred to...

I think people need to put the timeline for McQueary's catching Sandusky in the act....
this was on the Friday that Spring Break starts on campus--McQueary went into his locker area at 930 at night....
believe me---at that time on college campus there is NO one expecting to be interrupted having sex in the shower...people FLEE college for Spring Break so Sandusky probably thought that was the safest place on earth to carry out that playdate...

That being start of Spring Break also probably had something to do with how the other people were involved...
Friday night late--McQueary enters Losch and goes to shower area, hears water noise and what he described as "rhythmic slapping noise that sounded like sex". Almost anyone over the age of 16 in today's society knows what that sound would be from personal experience or graphic movies...

Saturday--he calls Paterno and goes to his house in afternoon to discuss what he saw...

Sunday--Paterno talks with Curley at Paterno's house...the implication I got from reading the GJ testimony was that Paterno even waited to call Curley SUNDAY vs right after talking with McQueary
So Monday is Spring Break week...

10 days after he talked with Paterno--McQueary is finally called in with Curley and Schulz to discuss what he told Paterno the day after--why a 10 day time lag---
those guys were on Spring Break--NO explanation for why there was such a delay with interviewing McQueary by them to the Grand Jury--but don't know that they were asked that question either...

But either they contacted Sandusky and started the coverup or they went on vacation--
which one is worse?
Again remember that McQueary told the GJ that he made a full report to Paterno--which would include the term "anal rape"
Paterno has given two versions of what he was told--To the GJ he said he took the "report" but told Curley it was "fondling" that McQueary saw--
and the other is that he stopped McQueary before he could reveal ALL the details of what he saw...

10 days after McQueary meets with Schultz and Curly, he has another meeting and they tell him Sandusky is turning in his keys and they are talking to Second Mile--
at no time was McQueary contacted by police city or campus--according to the info in the GJ testimony--
and he never said that he went to another agency like CPS to report Sandusky...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,361,310 times
Yeah, I don't know what's going on with that McQueary e-mail. First I heard he was saying he stopped the rape. Now I'm hearing the additional detail that he DID talk to police. Without seeing the actual e-mail transcript, I don't know what's true or what's just whisper-down-the-lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania