U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 13,189 times

Advertisements

We are interested in buying a small farm near Lancaster and was wondering what areas have affordable land as well as good schools. Are kids are small but will start school in a couple of years.

We would want at least 5 acres for 500k or less.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM

10,463 posts, read 17,006,179 times
tvc, I'm guessing you won't find any arable land for that price in Lancaster county, but you could look at the links at the top of this forum for suggestions on places to look. It's against the terms of service for city-data for single real estate listing to be posted here.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,607,773 times
If you are not tied specifically to a given work site there are a number of other areas with fine land in PA besides Lancaster. Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Bloomsburg, some areas near State College have fine public schools and not quite as high a price premium as Lancaster (not as close to major cities or jobs either). Some communities in PA especially further out have ag security areas or possibly no-zoning areas to keep the hassle down on your activities.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 PM

261 posts, read 239,013 times
Smile Does it have to be Lancaster County?

There's this property near me that came on the market just as the economy tanked and they've been lowering the price incrementally since. It is now only $249,000.

It's just over 5 acres and has a house with a mother in law suite and is near French Creek State Park, plus is in the Daniel Boone School District, which is pretty good (and it's having a great football year again!)

One could be in Morgantown (which is the hub of Berks, Chester, and Lancaster counties) in 15-20 minutes from the property. Just sayin'.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-11-2011 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Mod cut - you cannot post single real estate links

Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 AM

11,271 posts, read 8,272,031 times
I've seen properties in that range in Berks. You could get a big farm house and a bank barn with a few acres probably for less.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,025,405 times
Prices on land have gone up lately with the hoopla over the natural gas present throughout PA. Make sure you look into who owns the mineral, gas, water and timber rights before you sign anything. I know you know this, just wanna give a word to the wise.

I could also mention a couple of sites that list rural land exactly what you are searching for, but I don't know if it is allowed to do so. I could PM you, if you like.

PA is a beautiful, beautiful state.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:01 PM

8,904 posts, read 7,853,639 times
The journal just had an article.about foreclosed developments being turned back into farmland.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM

10,834 posts, read 4,016,148 times
Yikes! A five acre "farm" for half a million? Around here, that would be an "estate."

I paid $69,000 for my little five acre hillside homestead six years ago. Across the country, but still........

Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 PM

11,271 posts, read 8,272,031 times
I can look at some of the most fertile farmland in the country and now its housing developments. I hope they plant gardens, LOL. When corn prices went up and housing prices went down I was at least glad the developments pretty much stopped completely.
I even thought that it might make economic sense to bulldoze some of those homes and put the land back into agriculture.
I see small farms in Lancaster all the time that go up for auction so check there. But amish and mennonites want them and they can buy them.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM

8,904 posts, read 7,853,639 times
Quote:
with crop prices soaring and housing in a deep slump, the economics of land investment have turned upside down. Farmers and investors are buying land that had been slated for development and using it for agriculture. ..In September, the Vanderweys, an Arizona dairy farming family, paid $8 million for a 760-acre alfalfa and cotton field that had fallen into foreclosure in Buckeye, Ariz., about 30 miles west of Phoenix. That same parcel, called Liberty Farm, had been sold to real-estate speculators in 2005 for $40.8 million. The Vanderweys want to plant hay...Between 2000 and 2007, the amount of land used for farms fell by two million to four million acres a year, according to USDA surveys. But since 2007, the conversion rate has slowed and the amount of land being farmed has held steady at 920 million acres. ..
U.S. Farmers Reclaim Land From Developers - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania